Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Decals over or under clearcoat 05 Apr 2018 19:28 #781343

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I have owned my KZ650-C1 since it was new (41 years). The paint is completely original. The decals on the fuel tank are under the clear coat and they look like new. Those tank decals cannot be felt with the fingernail since the clear coat is built up on them making them smooth with the rest of the paint. The decals on the side covers and tail piece do not appear to be under the clear coat and they too still look like new. Unlike the tank decals they can be felt with the fingernail, but I suppose it is possible that they have a very thin coat of clear coat over them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 650ed.

Decals over or under clearcoat 06 Apr 2018 06:53 #781351

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681

NINJA DAVE wrote: any decals on any bike if not laqured over will fade with sunlight,washing etc start peeling at edges etc YOU CAN EVEN APPLY ONCE LAQUERED,OR PAINTED WHEN DRY THEN LAQUER OVER i paint bike bits and cars,old bikes no problem newer stuff problems reacting and nightmare trying to match stuff up lol

I worked many years for a Japanese OEM car manufacturer and we often times would add graphics to vehicles at our port facilities. These graphics, typically supplied by 3M or Avery, were custom to our application and were designed to not require clear coat afterwards. Graphics designed to be cleared over are typically thinner. The graphics that can hold up to the UV and weather are thicker. You can still clear over many graphics that are designed to survive uncoated, and that may further boost their durability. Not exactly sure though.

Decals over or under clearcoat 07 Apr 2018 09:54 #781406

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377

650ed wrote: I have owned my KZ650-C1 since it was new (41 years). The paint is completely original. The decals on the fuel tank are under the clear coat and they look like new. Those tank decals cannot be felt with the fingernail since the clear coat is built up on them making them smooth with the rest of the paint. The decals on the side covers and tail piece do not appear to be under the clear coat and they too still look like new. Unlike the tank decals they can be felt with the fingernail, but I suppose it is possible that they have a very thin coat of clear coat over them. Ed

I never get tired of looking at Ed's beautiful 650.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Decals over or under clearcoat 07 Apr 2018 09:59 #781407

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973

ThatGPzGuy wrote:

650ed wrote: I have owned my KZ650-C1 since it was new (41 years). The paint is completely original. The decals on the fuel tank are under the clear coat and they look like new. Those tank decals cannot be felt with the fingernail since the clear coat is built up on them making them smooth with the rest of the paint. The decals on the side covers and tail piece do not appear to be under the clear coat and they too still look like new. Unlike the tank decals they can be felt with the fingernail, but I suppose it is possible that they have a very thin coat of clear coat over them. Ed

I never get tired of looking at Ed's beautiful 650.

That is one of the reasons I picked Eds 650 as the First Bike of the Month when I started doing my features

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Decals over or under clearcoat 15 Apr 2018 09:07 #781844

• jeffz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
That is one gorgeous bike, Ed. Congrats!