Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat

More
16 Apr 2016 18:01 #721299 by nitrokeeb
Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat was created by nitrokeeb
Anyone have any experience with this seat?
Very little info is given on the website. I did find a picture of one mounted.

Is it decent quality? Comfortable? Firm foam? It sure looks good and the price is right. Just would like to hear feedback before making the plunge.

I also like this seat, but can only seem to find them in the UK.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 18:06 #721301 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat
Links didn't post.

Z1 enterprises seat. www.z1enterprises.com/product/PM151-1065

British seat. www.legendmotorcycles.com/index.php?rout...oduct&product_id=406

They have one on eBay now. $212 plus 50 shipping.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Apr 2016 18:22 #721304 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat
I got one for mine. Nice for short rides but a real PITA on long ones. So I fitted a LTD style seat. Now I can go as long as I like.
Steve

Attachments:

More
16 Apr 2016 19:57 - 16 Apr 2016 19:57 #721324 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat

swest wrote: I got one for mine. Nice for short rides but a real PITA on long ones. So I fitted a LTD style seat. Now I can go as long as I like.
Steve

That's pretty close to the seat I made for my bike Steve. I don't care for the way that one from Z1 looks but I'm sure it will appeal to many others.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Apr 2016 19:57 by missionkz.

More
16 Apr 2016 20:10 #721332 by nitrokeeb
Is it the shape, riding position, or lack of support that makes it a short distance seat? I've noticed that while the padding on the Corbin on my Bell is thin, its very comfortable because of how firm it is. Plus the fact that it slid me about 4 inches back...

More
17 Apr 2016 05:13 #721357 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat
I just bought the Z1Enterprises seat a month or so ago. Very good looking seat. The foam is firm. I haven't been able to ride it for more the 30 miles or so since putting it on, but it seems comfortable to me. I prefer firm seat foam so I think I will like it. Be advised this seat comes with the older latch pin. If your current seat uses a loop as the seat latch, you will have to drill two holes to mount the loop latch. I also changed the hinges out because they didn't have the built in stops to keep the seat from opening all the way onto the side cover.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2016 06:21 #721364 by SWest
It's like the one that came with my bike when new. A little thinner I think. The original one I drilled some holes in the foam to make it mre cushy for long rides. I was at 175 then and it was too hard for me. I've had many seats since and the best one was from a Honda fitted to my pan. It was a bench seat so I was able to move around in the tight twisties. I don't canyon carve anymore so this LTD seat works for me. My passenger likes it better too. The stock style had a bump there and was harder still. I don't carry a passenger but if I were to have a lady on beck, I'd want her to be as comfortable as possible.
Steve

Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2016 06:57 #721379 by DK900
Replied by DK900 on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat

swest wrote: I got one for mine. Nice for short rides but a real PITA on long ones. So I fitted a LTD style seat. Now I can go as long as I like.
Steve

missionkz wrote: That's pretty close to the seat I made for my bike Steve. I don't care for the way that one from Z1 looks but I'm sure it will appeal to many others.

That’s the decision I’m trying to make now. My 76 KZ900 A4 has an original seat off a 900 (or possibly 1000?) LTD on it. The seat needs new covering and probably new foam. I’m trying to decide if I want a reproduction of the original seat or a repo LTD seat. Steve, where did you get yours?

Mission, since you say you made yours, did you recover the original? That makes me wonder if an auto upholstery place could fix up the original? I’ve seen the kits with a cover and foam, but the ones I’ve seen pics of after they were put on look kinda cheesy.

1976 KZ900-A4
1995 FLTCU Tourglide

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2016 07:08 #721382 by SWest
Mine is used off a J model. It took some doing to make it fit. Mine is a daily rider so my butt likes me for it. :dry: There are good quality covers and foam out there, cheap too. Mine is a Saddlemen. I'll buy a new one when this one wears out. A good upholstery shop can copy what you have and reuse the foam. I've seen come good ones and some bad. Tuck and roll, UCH. :sick: :lol:
Steve

More
17 Apr 2016 07:16 #721385 by nitrokeeb

fordtruck wrote: I just bought the Z1Enterprises seat a month or so ago. Very good looking seat. The foam is firm. I haven't been able to ride it for more the 30 miles or so since putting it on, but it seems comfortable to me. I prefer firm seat foam so I think I will like it. Be advised this seat comes with the older latch pin. If your current seat uses a loop as the seat latch, you will have to drill two holes to mount the loop latch. I also changed the hinges out because they didn't have the built in stops to keep the seat from opening all the way onto the side cover.

Yes, I saw that the recommend you buy a seat latch to use with later bikes. I'm assuming I can use the latch off my stock seat.

And I don't plan on doing any iron butt competitions. I like the look, but would like to be able to ride 30 minutes before I'm in pain. The bike has a modified ltd seat currently. Its a squishy blob with a cheap cover. I could try and modify it to my taste, but when I can buy a decent seat for 140, why bother.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Apr 2016 07:19 #721386 by SWest

More
17 Apr 2016 09:57 #721409 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Z1 Enterprises's z2-z1 custom seat

DK900 wrote:

Steve

missionkz wrote: That's pretty close to the seat I made for my bike Steve. I don't care for the way that one from Z1 looks but I'm sure it will appeal to many others.

That’s the decision I’m trying to make now. My 76 KZ900 A4 has an original seat off a 900 (or possibly 1000?) LTD on it. The seat needs new covering and probably new foam. I’m trying to decide if I want a reproduction of the original seat or a repo LTD seat. Steve, where did you get yours?

Mission, since you say you made yours, did you recover the original? That makes me wonder if an auto upholstery place could fix up the original? I’ve seen the kits with a cover and foam, but the ones I’ve seen pics of after they were put on look kinda cheesy.

Ok, I dug out an older kz1000 LTD seat from years of collecting KZ junk.
A crappy one with bad, ripped apart vinyl and crusty foam but clean metal pan.
I found a person on eBay selling LTD replacement covers for around $40 shipped.
I stopped by an upholstery shop and the guy gave me a 2" thick by around 14" x 30" piece of medium density seat cushion foam for only $7.00! No idea how $7.00 came up but maybe it was off fall from an old job of his.

Ripped the old seat apart and used my wives electric turkey carving knife to trim out a lot of the old ratty foam and cut the new piece to fit and overlay.
I used water based contact cement on the two foam halves. Then wrapped the foam in some medium thin clear plastic followed by the new seat cover.
There was some old plastic sheeting on it so I removed it but followed that idea with new plastic.
The whole operation took about +2 hours and was easier then I expected.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado