Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

More
12 Apr 2016 12:16 #720553 by GPzMOD750
Anyone played with Plasti Dip? was created by GPzMOD750
I've been looking at my, work in progress, bike of many colors (Sig line link if you wanna look). I'd like to get it to one color so at least it's not such an eyesore. I haven't completely decided on a color yet and I like some that are offered by Plasti Dip. I thought it would be a good way to test drive colors with relative ease of removal and not sweat getting the finish messed up while I continue work on my scoot.

Anyone else done this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2016 13:13 #720562 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
My son-in-law did some rims with it. Tire shop messed one up and we had to redo it. A massive pain in the arse to get off. If you do it wax the hell out of it first.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

More
12 Apr 2016 19:21 #720626 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
They make different plast-dip, and I can only comment on the aerosol spray. I sprayed a couple of tools ect with it, and it looked good and felt good, so I did quite a few more. Immediately I knew I made a big mistake, not durable at all. Lay the tool on the floor, the coating is damaged, handle it with any cleaning solvents such as acetone, alcohol ect, or get gas on it, the coating is shot. Even oil seems to disolve it. Even water seemed to damage the coating. Working with sweaty hands ruined the coating. I had to painfully try to remove it from all these tools, amd of course the fact it is not durable in use did not help in removal as I would hope. Real pain to remove. I will not use it again.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Apr 2016 09:22 #720725 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

RonKZ650 wrote: They make different plast-dip, and I can only comment on the aerosol spray. I sprayed a couple of tools ect with it, and it looked good and felt good, so I did quite a few more. Immediately I knew I made a big mistake, not durable at all. Lay the tool on the floor, the coating is damaged, handle it with any cleaning solvents such as acetone, alcohol ect, or get gas on it, the coating is shot. Even oil seems to disolve it. Even water seemed to damage the coating. Working with sweaty hands ruined the coating. I had to painfully try to remove it from all these tools, amd of course the fact it is not durable in use did not help in removal as I would hope. Real pain to remove. I will not use it again.

You're supposed to hang the tools on the wall, and never touch them. Then the product works ok, as long as you control the humidity and temp in the garage.

More
13 Apr 2016 09:36 #720726 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

GPzMOD750 wrote: not sweat getting the finish messed up while I continue work on my scoot.

Whenever I do major work on my bike the tank and side covers come off anyway.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
13 Apr 2016 11:40 #720741 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
If you waant to test drive some colours,what about Vinyl wrap. I dont know how cost effective it is and I wouldnt want it as a permanent solution but you would get a good idea of what looks good and I imagine it would peel off pretty easy.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
13 Apr 2016 12:20 #720749 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
The most probable reason Plasti-dip users have difficulty removing it is simply that they didn't put enough layers of it on. It has to be VERY thick, I never use less than 6 coats. The thicker it is and the cleaner the surface the easier it is to remove. But therein lies the downside of going through cans faster and cost of using it goes up, making a temperary change slightly more expensive than you'd expect. Tight corners and awkward areas are going to be more difficult, and those are the areas you're going to want that extra coat.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moneypit, GPzMOD750

More
13 Apr 2016 12:40 #720753 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

SmokyOwl wrote: The most probable reason Plasti-dip users have difficulty removing it is simply that they didn't put enough layers of it on. It has to be VERY thick, I never use less than 6 coats. The thicker it is and the cleaner the surface the easier it is to remove. But therein lies the downside of going through cans faster and cost of using it goes up, making a temperary change slightly more expensive than you'd expect. Tight corners and awkward areas are going to be more difficult, and those are the areas you're going to want that extra coat.

So what if it was cumulative? Like 2 coats one color, 2 coats of another.... I don't think there are many sharp corners on my bike. How many rattle cans would a bike take?

More
14 Apr 2016 04:27 #720865 by KZRog
Replied by KZRog on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
I put it on the forks and rear wheel of my sporty some 3-4 years ago, still holding up. If you get a small blemish or tear simply dip your finger in some alcohol and rub the area smooth then repaint. And yes, if its difficult to get off you didnt put it on thick enough.

1977 KZ650 B1
1982 KZ1100 A2
2006 TW200
2009 TW200
2011 Sportster 48

More
14 Apr 2016 11:09 - 14 Apr 2016 11:15 #720937 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

GPzMOD750 wrote: So what if it was cumulative? Like 2 coats one color, 2 coats of another.... I don't think there are many sharp corners on my bike. How many rattle cans would a bike take?

Can't say, never did a bike myself, I did some dipping on a set of car rims though, I estimated a can a rim, bought 6 cans just in case, ended up using 5 cans. The instructions I had said to put on a thin coat and then several "moderate coats"...and I'm thinking what is a moderate coat? I've never did anything other than light coats for painting. I kinda did your typical light coat with a *little* extra, and called that a moderate coat. Don't go overboard with the coats though, you don't want it to start running on you...and those runs really screw up the end result and can't just be gone over again to get rid of them.

As far as starting and stopping, I wouldn't do it. Last thing you want is having two distinct layers separating on you as you're trying to peel it off. Now if you're doing a solid 5-6 coats, then later wanna change to a different color with another 2-3 coats to just change the color, I don't see any reason to worry over it. That strong base is what's necessary for removal.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 11:15 by SmokyOwl.

More
14 Apr 2016 13:30 #720964 by DurbinCR
Replied by DurbinCR on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?
Personally I'm not a fan of the stuff. Never have liked the way it looks, just has a dull cheapo paint job look IMO. I had a friend who I swear worshiped the stuff though, I guess it's the "in" thing right now. It could be good if you want to sample different colors to see what you think looks good on your bike, but if you ask me for the final finish nothing looks better than a quality done spray job. Couple layers of clear coat will give it a good deep shine and make it more durable.

1983 GPZ 750 A1 Unitrack

More
14 Apr 2016 14:07 #720975 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Anyone played with Plasti Dip?

DurbinCR wrote: Personally I'm not a fan of the stuff. Never have liked the way it looks, just has a dull cheapo paint job look IMO. I had a friend who I swear worshiped the stuff though, I guess it's the "in" thing right now. It could be good if you want to sample different colors to see what you think looks good on your bike, but if you ask me for the final finish nothing looks better than a quality done spray job. Couple layers of clear coat will give it a good deep shine and make it more durable.

Pretty much the plan was for testing colors. I guess I could just rattle can it a few different colors then just strip and sand it the old fashioned way when I decide and have it done proper.