Painting the frame

More
03 Mar 2016 06:53 #713600 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Painting the frame
I think Ed forgot to mention one more thing you may need, judging by the picture #5 of his frame in epoxy primer.
(i'm pressing my tongue into my cheek here... :laugh: )

Here's what I see (in no particular order) in that image:
- golf balls on the living room carpet
- bicycle on the living room carpet
- dining room chairs being used as drying stands for
- a wet-paint, motorcycle frame IN the house drying ON the living room carpet
Here's what you can't see in that picture:
- the smell of automotive grade paints; wet or drying.

AND most of all here's what you cannot see in any of those pictures:
- Ed's totally awesome and understanding wife! :whistle:

I'm trying to remember the last time my better half let me bring any of those things into the house, on the carpet and then used her furniture to make temporary drying stands for anything that originated in the garage? ...
Nope... can't remember 'cuz it's never happened!
LOL

All in fun Ed... Nice work on that frame. I agree with you about the black diamond media (or whatever the brand name is). It's some kind of volcanic slag or something. Has super sharp edges unlike sand and peels off rust and old paint like nothing else and then leaves the raw metal with what amounts to the perfect etch for any further top coatings. BUT with any of these medias you reall MUST wear a good mask. Silica as found in sand and others as well as the black diamond varieties is super harmful to your lungs...

POR and similar products like KBS are wonderful restoration products. They work by sealing the surface from any further oxygen contact and thus halt corrosion which is why you can paint them directly onto rust and it stops it. Most of these are not UV-stable (some are) and so need a finish coating on them to protect them from the sun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.