kz400 fuel tank cap spring

More
03 Dec 2015 18:44 #701802 by padgett
kz400 fuel tank cap spring was created by padgett
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI feel stupid for asking this, but how the hell do I install this thing? Im finishing up a restoration and this is the last hurdle to jump over haha.

so this guy,

how do i do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 07:32 #701866 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhat year?

That spring is for the caps used on the 74-75 tanks that were also used on some of the H1, H2, S3, Z1 and others which looks like this:

The 76-78 used a different style of cap that mounted differently to the tank and looks like this:

I ran into this a few weeks ago when I put a 75 tank on my 76 and thought I was going to just simply swap over the fuel caps. That's when I realized they were different and had to order a new one.

If it is the older style cap then it is a bit of a pain in the butt to hold that spring in place with tension with the cap and tap the pin that holds it all together at the same time. Once you figure out how the spring needs to be oriented to apply the proper tension you're well on your way. I used a small screwdriver to hold it roughly in place along while using a punch of a smaller diameter in place of the capture pin. Then I tapped the pin in from the other side replacing the punch as it was tapped through. I know that may be difficult to visualize without seeing it. Hopefully I explained it well enough. If not let me know and I'll try again.

More
04 Dec 2015 08:06 #701868 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI found it also helps to cut a long thin strip of solid cardboard and lay it in the pivot channel to raise the spring eye up to the level of the pin holes.....then pull the card board out after the pin is in.

diggerdanh wrote: What year?

That spring is for the caps used on the 74-75 tanks that were also used on some of the H1, H2, S3, Z1 and others which looks like this:

The 76-78 used a different style of cap that mounted differently to the tank and looks like this:

I ran into this a few weeks ago when I put a 75 tank on my 76 and thought I was going to just simply swap over the fuel caps. That's when I realized they were different and had to order a new one.

If it is the older style cap then it is a bit of a pain in the butt to hold that spring in place with tension with the cap and tap the pin that holds it all together at the same time. Once you figure out how the spring needs to be oriented to apply the proper tension you're well on your way. I used a small screwdriver to hold it roughly in place along while using a punch of a smaller diameter in place of the capture pin. Then I tapped the pin in from the other side replacing the punch as it was tapped through. I know that may be difficult to visualize without seeing it. Hopefully I explained it well enough. If not let me know and I'll try again.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
04 Dec 2015 08:23 #701869 by padgett
Replied by padgett on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring
this is all very helpful thank you.

So the 'feet' for the spring. are they pointing down right?

More
05 Dec 2015 13:22 #702041 by padgett
Replied by padgett on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring
also if i give up, are there any years that the caps can swap into that tank? LIke a locking cap?

More
05 Dec 2015 14:04 #702045 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring
Without seeing what you have, or knowing what cap/tank and year bike you have I can't give a definite answer.

But I will say a tank swap is your second best bet, your best is making your cap setup work because you probably can't just swap caps out. And the locking caps on KZs are actually quite annoying as well

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Dec 2015 14:45 #702050 by SWest

More
06 Dec 2015 05:14 #702098 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring

padgett wrote: this is all very helpful thank you.

So the 'feet' for the spring. are they pointing down right?

The feet, or the 2 straight arms off of the loop....one arm lays down flat on the tank, and the other arm will locate up into the notch in the latch.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
06 Dec 2015 10:49 #702146 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic kz400 fuel tank cap spring

swest wrote: How are they annoying? :huh:
Steve

More moving parts, not keyed, can get to be sticky.
Z1 style is just simpler

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew