my new paint...

More
09 Jul 2006 18:46 #60583 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic my new paint...
:sick: Look's like an OCC tank

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2006 19:26 #60590 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic my new paint...
WharfRat wrote:

:sick: Look's like an OCC tank...

Hmmm. One sudden stop, and the TOoOTLES become an evolutionary dead end...

Where's the downside? :evil:

More
09 Jul 2006 19:47 #60602 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic my new paint...
:blink: No sh$t. I live in Kenosha WI-the lost land of AMC's-then a Chrysler engine plant. All the employees get a sweet deal on 'em. If you were playing "slug-a bug" with Chryslers with shitty "factory" paint your arm would be rendered useless. For life. The paint on my Caravan would strip faster than a blonde stripper working a table of Japanese tourists. The $3.95 can of Dupli-color hung tough! Way better than the factory crap. Now I wish everyone on this board was blessed with perfect paint on their 30 year old bike-but it ain't happening.
I better let my friend know that his 5 coats of color-with a wet sand between each-then 8 coat of clear-with more of the same-ain't as good as a mass produced job with 30 year old technology. I'm sure he'll be humilitated out of business.:whistle:
Jeez-my first rant.:blush:

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2006 19:56 #60606 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my new paint...
WharfRat wrote:

:blink: No sh$t. I live in Kenosha WI-the lost land of AMC's-then a Chrysler engine plant. All the employees get a sweet deal on 'em. If you were playing "slug-a bug" with Chryslers with shitty "factory" paint your arm would be rendered useless. For life. The paint on my Caravan would strip faster than a blonde stripper working a table of Japanese tourists. The $3.95 can of Dupli-color hung tough! Way better than the factory crap. Now I wish everyone on this board was blessed with perfect paint on their 30 year old bike-but it ain't happening.
I better let my friend know that his 5 coats of color-with a wet sand between each-then 8 coat of clear-with more of the same-ain't as good as a mass produced job with 30 year old technology. I'm sure he'll be humilitated out of business.:whistle:
Jeez-my first rant.:blush:

yep its a serious wakeup call for many of us:( im just waiting to find out the 30 yr old factory production chrome plating is better than the triple plating ive been using all these years,im gonna have to have everything stripped and find some cheap plating shop that uses the same single coat mass production process the factory uses!:S :whistle: :P

More
09 Jul 2006 20:21 #60617 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic my new paint...
RonKZ650 wrote:

Wait 6 months and see what to make out of my post. Is the paint bubbling from any gas spillage? chances 95%. Any bird droppings, brake fluid ect, been on the paint even for 10 min? well, paint is crap, chances 95%. Rain sitting on the paint, not cleaned off whithin 15 minutes? paint is ruined. Sitting in the sun, even for a couple hours a day? paint shot. All or any of these things, in addition to the 2 billion others not mentioned will render the repaint job, well for lack of other words, ready for repaint again. This will go on for eternity. I know I'm a broken record, but why oh why does everyone repaint when it IS going to turn to sheet in less than 6 months is beyond me. I know I vowed to not continue this argument, and I am sorry to discourage, but it's the truth. I've seen it for my entire 47 yrs of age. Look at cars driving down the road. Have you ever seen a 15 yr old car with the rediculous non matched paint, part faded badly, others relatively shiney? Care to guess the ugly bogus, cruddy faded part? aways the repaint from accident repairs. Nothing personal here as your bike looks allright. Just the facts. Everyone can dispute them, nd will but there is no dispute that makes sense really. Repaints will not last. They never have, never will. Don't care if they use that new nuclier seal space age polymer formula from Mars, it aint goint to ever work.

get off it already,ive been painting for a good bit now and i have a bmx bike that i shot with omni (of all paints)about 10 years ago and yeah it has a few cuts and bruises but in no way shape or form is it faded, cracked, or worn.
yes rattlecan is crap when it comes to repaint but 6months is a lil harshe. with a good clear, sufficient wax, and proper upkeep you can make a rattlecan job look good for a few years.
if you repaint with 2 part you WILL be covered for 20+ years depending on the skill off the gunslinger.

ron, do you mean to tell me that ALL these hotrods and custom choppers coming out now have crap paint and wont hold for the life of the vehicle???
i think not. theres a reason people pay the top shooters in excess of $20k for a paintjob and its because weve taken the time to learn what works with what. there IS a science to it
you can buy the same exact paint that all of the top auto manufacturers use and in the cases with our 20+yr old motos, better.
paint tech as well as all other aspects of motorcycles has advanced greatly in the last 20 years.if you opened your eyes you would see it.
if the older bikes were top notch then they would still be makin em exactly the way they did 20 years ago. same with paint.

just to dissmantle his 6 month theory i will post my pics once again. unfortunatly i dont have any pics of the paint as it sits this very moment but i will post some tomorrow. this is all rattlecan;)

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
09 Jul 2006 20:24 #60619 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic my new paint...
now ron, compare those two, look me straight in the hairy eyeball and tell me youd rather ride around on paint that resembles beaver scat.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
10 Jul 2006 05:07 #60679 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic my new paint...
Sir! I would rather ride around on paint that resembles beaver scat. Actual beaver scat would be even better!
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2006 05:37 #60687 by Pterosaur
B) :huh: :unsure: :dry: :blink: :woohoo:
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2006 08:43 #60727 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic my new paint...
I'm surprised Ron didn't say something like the usual "looks like it had been dipped in a one gallon paint can, and no pinstripes!" Ofcourse if they are not factory pinstripes.....

I think Ron has become the PAINT NAZI because of testicle cancer from riding around on his factory paint job on the tank with all those lead additives.
:kiss:

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/07/10 13:08

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2006 09:28 #60734 by Pterosaur

"...and so having had bad luck with aftermarket paint jobs, he vowed *never* to go there again..."
Attachments:

• arai59
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2006 09:48 #60741 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic my new paint...
Now Ron.........lets be fair about this. I've seen a lot of factory jobs not hold up either. In fact most of all the old candies have faded so bad you can't distinguish the real color or base anymore. I agree though that rattle can is never going to hold up, period. Your older original painted bikes have been cared for and probably still have lead in the paint. Thats why they still look great. But not everyone can find or afford original pieces. It is humorous to read though.......thanks for the laugh.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2006 11:50 #60778 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my new paint...
mariozappa wrote:

I'm surprised Ron didn't say something like the usual "looks like it had been dipped in a one gallon paint can, and no pinstripes!" Ofcourse if they are not factory pinstripes.....

I think Ron has become the PAINT NAZI because of testicle cancer from riding around on his factory paint job on the tank with all those lead additives.
:kiss:<br><br>Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/07/10 13:08

:whistle: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: come on now,he catches enough hell from ol big mouth me!:P