my new paint...

More
03 Jul 2006 20:58 #59125 by richie1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2006 21:19 #59129 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my new paint...
looks good,time to polish up the aluminum and chrome to match your new paint!;) youre supposed to lock the front brake and drop the clutch when ya rev it up like that!:evil: :woohoo: goodluck,happy wrenching!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2006 21:59 #59136 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic my new paint...

Myself, I use PJ-1 Epoxy - it sets up harder than normal spray can clears and is about as gas proof as anything that comes with a rattle... B)

Bought 3 new cans of the stuff today, $7.75 per.

Just in case you go looking for it, here's what the PJ's epoxy clear can looks like:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/07/06 20:07
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2006 08:19 #59222 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic my new paint...
I think it looks great and you look as happy as a pig in s**t. I know the feeling. Nice sounding and looking. What's the history on that bike? just curious How much you got in it?

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
04 Jul 2006 08:46 #59227 by kwakagoose
Replied by kwakagoose on topic my new paint...
I like the smile on your face. s35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/NVrichie...ent=richswork066.flv

Great sounding bike.

Post edited by: kwakagoose, at: 2006/07/04 11:49

More
04 Jul 2006 13:24 - 03 Dec 2008 18:57 #59304 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 18:57 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2006 13:45 #59309 by Pterosaur
JMKZHI wrote:

Hey Pterosaur, can the PJ-1 be laid over any paint?

Not really sure what "any" paint encompasses, but yeah, I've shot PJ Epoxy over both laquers and enamels, both rattle and gun varieties with no issues.

Matter of fact, it works a *lot* better than some cheaper-brand non urethane gun clears I've shot...

Best way to apply it to a well-prepped basecoat is to let the basecoat tack 15-20 minutes, and if there's a minimum of crap in the paint and no flies or gnats decide to go for a hike on it in the meantime, then go ahead and shoot the clear right then.

Set the piece someplace stable temp/humidity-wise for a week or so, then inspect the peel/shrinkage - there will be some. Give a light wet sand, then polish the snot out of it... B)

I've been meaning to call Jeff's Cycles about a paint they're selling. click or click
JMK.

Don't know what he's sellin' there, but at 29 clams a can, it'd *better* gas, fire, hurricane and ex-mother-in-law proof!

PJ's has done me well enough at $4-6 a can (depends on where you find it) that I'm not curious enough to find out...;)

Hope that helps...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/07/04 16:49

More
04 Jul 2006 13:53 - 03 Dec 2008 18:59 #59312 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 18:59 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2006 14:05 #59314 by Pterosaur
JMKZHI wrote:

Thanks. Any paint refers to what's available at the auto parts store. Very good results were obtained with the DupliColor Truck/Van/SUV paint, but it's acrylic/lacquer & isn't gas proof, darnit.

DupliColor's okay, but tends to be a bit soft, largely because it *is* a laquer.

Run, don't walk in the other direction from Krylon and Rustoleum. Fine for patio furniture, absolute ka-ka on anything else. Stays waaaaaaaay too soft.

Shooting PJ's over DupliColor base, I'd wait a bit longer - an hour or so - to let the base laquer set and then shoot the first coat's of PJ's dry - nozzle held back 10-12" from the piece, say 10 minutes between each of the first three dry coats. Then go progressively wetter until you get the coverage you're looking for.

Actually, let that set a week, light wet sand it and then re-clear it again. *This time, shoot it as wet as you dare short of running it.* Give that another 3-4 days, sand/polish that and people will be asking how much you paid for the job... ;)

$29 bucks is pricey, but to preserve all the hard work, it may be worth it if it's as tough as is advertised.... & yer right, at that price it had better all of the above proof & more too.
JMK.

Hey, he might really have something there, but I've yet to find a paint at *any* price that's Louisville Slugger-proof...:whistle:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/07/04 17:24

More
04 Jul 2006 19:36 #59387 by richie1
Replied by richie1 on topic my new paint...
thanks for all the comments im happy with the paint for now untill i can get a customs job done with airbrush.. the history is 2 previous owners b4 me the original owner drove it for a couple years then sold it to a guy and he stored it for 19 years and i bought it and got her runin painted and soon to see the road i hope,lol

More
05 Jul 2006 14:13 #59536 by JR
Replied by JR on topic my new paint...
Nice job ritchie. Looks good. Seems to have a nice shine to it. Did you give it a some clearcoat ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
05 Jul 2006 20:28 #59584 by richie1
Replied by richie1 on topic my new paint...
its just krylon quick dry spray for metal outdoor paint,but meh it will work 4 a bit