my new paint...

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2006 17:10 #59743 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic my new paint...

Myself, I use PJ-1 Epoxy - it sets up harder than normal spray can clears and is about as gas proof as anything that comes with a rattle... B)

Bought 3 new cans of the stuff today, $7.75 per.

Just in case you go looking for it, here's what the PJ's epoxy clear can looks like:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2006 19:45 #60079 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic my new paint...
Looks good. Blue rules!

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
07 Jul 2006 23:35 #60132 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic my new paint...
Looks good for now. 6 months from now after 2 oz of gas spills on it /first drop of brake fluid/first bird crap/first drop of rain/first rays of sun is the question. How's it going to look then? Odds are not real great, but best of luck. At least you can always repaint again and again. I knew a guy back in 1976 that had the best Suzuki 185 dirtbike ever, when I was sitting being a dang idiot on a stock 1976 Yamaha DT175 in the darn boring blue factory paint he had his bike in yellow, then black then ?, then ? ect ect. Definately THE way to go. I'll never forget.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Jul 2006 19:57 #60324 by richie1
Replied by richie1 on topic my new paint...
umm not to sure what to take of the last post there?? any idea?

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 20:10 #60327 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my new paint...
dont worry about Ron,he just cant get it into his head that not everybody is into origional paint.and origional paint doesnt always last longer than a good aftermarket paintjob this bike was repainted in 81-82 with red imron and the red still looks just as good as it did 20 plus years ago,as soon as my 2 current projects are finished i am going to pull this one back out and redo it a differant color,but first i will rinse it off just to show how good a non origional paintjob can holdup compared to a boring ass, looks just like every other bike that rolled off the line that year mkII:sick: stock origional restored bikes are all right for certain models like early z1s,76 ltds(go skipper!;)even the origional paint on 78 a2s looks good,but mkIIs are nothing special,next to a z1 or 77-78kz or 79-80 ltd they are flat out ugly and need a good paintjob to make them look good:sick: that red on red mkII on front page of kz1000 gallery with the red frame looks real good.why?because somebody got rid of the nasty looking stock paint!:P if you dont like the color other people use on their bikes dont look at them,there is plenty of origional bikes on here go look at them!:angry: O.K here it comes!!!!:P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/07/08 23:28
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 20:36 #60329 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic my new paint...
richie1 wrote:

umm not to sure what to take of the last post there?? any idea?

Well, if I'm reading Ron right, he's commenting that 1) Krylon is *soft* paint and 2) it's about as gas-proof as tapioca.

Even 2 weeks after application, you'll be able to press your thumb into a spot and leave a print. Guaranteed.

Dump a thimbleful of gas on it and let it sit overnight; you'll have a nice little brown stain on it.

Essentially, you're half way to a finished paint job - the color needs some time of protection, and that entails covering the paint with clear to the best of my knowledge...

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 20:45 #60331 by wireman
he goes off no matter what you paint it with,any bike that gets repainted is not as good as an origional 30 year old paintjob.hes a whining sniveling everybody has to be like me or else @(*#*!:angry:

More
08 Jul 2006 22:22 #60361 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic my new paint...
Wait 6 months and see what to make out of my post. Is the paint bubbling from any gas spillage? chances 95%. Any bird droppings, brake fluid ect, been on the paint even for 10 min? well, paint is crap, chances 95%. Rain sitting on the paint, not cleaned off whithin 15 minutes? paint is ruined. Sitting in the sun, even for a couple hours a day? paint shot. All or any of these things, in addition to the 2 billion others not mentioned will render the repaint job, well for lack of other words, ready for repaint again. This will go on for eternity. I know I'm a broken record, but why oh why does everyone repaint when it IS going to turn to sheet in less than 6 months is beyond me. I know I vowed to not continue this argument, and I am sorry to discourage, but it's the truth. I've seen it for my entire 47 yrs of age. Look at cars driving down the road. Have you ever seen a 15 yr old car with the rediculous non matched paint, part faded badly, others relatively shiney? Care to guess the ugly bogus, cruddy faded part? aways the repaint from accident repairs. Nothing personal here as your bike looks allright. Just the facts. Everyone can dispute them, nd will but there is no dispute that makes sense really. Repaints will not last. They never have, never will. Don't care if they use that new nuclier seal space age polymer formula from Mars, it aint goint to ever work.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 22:36 #60362 by wireman
painted 81-82
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 22:37 #60363 by wireman
painted mid 80s,still looking good;)
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 22:42 #60366 by wireman
painted in early 90s with imron manages to slide across water at 140 miles an hour,many differant motors over the years has has alcohal and 114 octane racing fuel spilled on it and still manages to shine:whistle:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/07/09 01:47
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2006 22:58 #60372 by EddieBoy
Replied by EddieBoy on topic my new paint...
my flat black still looks as dull as when i painted it! slopped gas on it many times...still looks flat
:)