Seat options, KZ1100

More
27 Apr 2013 19:20 #584294 by jbuck
Seat options, KZ1100 was created by jbuck
Hi all. My first post here, thanks in advance for any help!

New to me is an '83 KZ1100 LTD. I LOVE this motorcycle so far but I'm having some trouble with the riding position. I'm 6' with a 33-34" inseam and this bike feels cramped to me. The LTD seat is low and keeps me up against the tank with my knees at an awkward angle (for me).

I thought about fab-ing some lower foot pegs but now I'm thinking about seat options. I'm looking to add about 2 inches to the height of the LTD seat and/or allow me to sit a bit further back. I think my options are:

1) Mod the seat myself by adding foam and find a cover solution.
2) Buy or build a seat pan and build a seat.
3) Buy a different seat. Which ones fit? I think mine is part # 53001-1192

Anyone know if one of the standard KZ seats will fit an LTD? Any other seat options come to mind? Thanks!

Here's what mine looks like:

'83 KZ1100 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
28 Apr 2013 12:38 #584439 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Seat options, KZ1100
I'm 6'6" and have a 78 KZ1000. not sure how close the ergonomics of the bikes are but i'm willing to bet they're pretty close. I did a 17,000 mile road trip on mine with the stock seat. I did have some highway pegs welded to the case savers so i could stretch out on the road. I found that by alternating between the stock, highway, and passenger footpegs on the highway i could change my riding position enough that i could do 12 hour days in the saddle no problem. you can see the higwhay pegs in this photo... kinda. if you go this route make sure you mount them high and inside otherwise you will loose what little lean you have with this bike.

More
28 Apr 2013 13:55 #584454 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Seat options, KZ1100
I would bet you could find a seat pan off another non-LTD KZ that would fit your bike. Try to keep the stock seat just in case you or the next owner wants it. Yours looks to be in really good shape.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
28 Apr 2013 16:03 #584467 by sig
Replied by sig on topic Seat options, KZ1100
DcotoRot, i haven't gone on a road trip yet, how many days did that take ya? I'm planning a long trip this August, California to Chicago.

1982 KZ650H CSR

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
29 Apr 2013 01:47 - 29 Apr 2013 01:52 #584581 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Seat options, KZ1100
I did it rather leisurely, I took about 4 and a half months. most of my time was spent in the southwest as there are lots of national forests there (free camping) and way cooler drives than middle or eastern america. if you do a trip like this i highly recommend you get some type of throttle lock.

also, +1 for not chopping the stock seat it looks to be rather nice and i assume those have to be somewhat rare now in that condition. Also a side note, i have done this many many times. if you want to stretch out even more on the highway, and you have the room, sit on the passenger step of the seat.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 01:52 by DoctoRot.

More
29 Apr 2013 09:10 #584605 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Seat options, KZ1100
Did you have another bike before the KZ? Such as a Vulcan or Harley. I'm wondering if you're more accustomed to forward controls? I'm the same size as you & ride a smaller bike (KZ650) - the riding position seems normal to me.

You might consider replacing the handlebars w something lower & wider. I can't tell by the photo, but if those are as bad as the 650-CSR, new bars ought to improve the riding position.

More
23 Jun 2013 00:06 #593541 by happycat254
Replied by happycat254 on topic Seat options, KZ1100
Hi jbuck. I feel your pain. Just picked up an 82 LTD1000. Same inseam. Same issue. Leg too long from knee to foot. Thighs slanted upward rather than parallel to the ground. I had an 81 KZ1000ST and it had very different ergonomics. I tried lowering the foot pegs today and fabricated an extension piece for the left side that lowered it an inch and made a big difference. Unfortunately, when trying to take the foot peg off the right side, I snapped the bolt holding the brake lever on. Not coming off in this lifetime. Dead in the water. Had to switch the left side back to stock. Thinking of seat options now. I'm thinking a regkular KZ seat without the step would be nice, though I'm going to be trying some foam on top of my LTD seat tomorrow to see if that helps. Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.