Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.

More
06 Apr 2013 09:49 - 01 May 2013 12:37 #580832 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.
It's just a pipe dream, so I don't actually expect to ever get one done. But what the heck...

I only have a spare frame grip... no luggage rack. My preference would be to have it made from scratch so that it could be chromed - I'm assuming something made from the stock grip wouldn't be suitable for the chromers (because of contamination). I guess it would be handy to make a simple jig for locating the attachment points - that would simplify things. To get the bends right it probably requires a machine? The 81 650-CSR has the same frame as the 750-Ltd-4s, so there may be a market for them.... perhaps it wouldn't necessarily have to be a one-off sort of thing? The 750-E2/E3 frame grip may have the same attachment points.
Last edit: 01 May 2013 12:37 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2013 13:01 #580860 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.
If I'm not mistaken, chroming works like powdercoating. You'll have to get it sandblasted, so it doesn't matter what the finish is.

We could get creative and make a luggage rack and weld it on top of the grip - that wouldn't be too tough, actually. I'd likely make it out of square tube instead of round, though.

I can't believe "they" don't already make these!

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
01 May 2013 11:07 #585095 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.

staniel wrote: If I'm not mistaken, chroming works like powdercoating. You'll have to get it sandblasted, so it doesn't matter what the finish is.

We could get creative and make a luggage rack and weld it on top of the grip - that wouldn't be too tough, actually. I'd likely make it out of square tube instead of round, though.

I can't believe "they" don't already make these!

You're mistaken. Chrome is nothing at all like powder coating. Anything that is to be chromed needs to be highly polished if you expect any kind of good surface finish on the final product.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
02 May 2013 13:48 #585290 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.

martin_csr wrote: This seems like as good a time as any to ask... How doable would it be for someone to make a frame-grip-luggage-rack combo, sorta melding the stock frame grip & a Kawasaki rack into one unit? In the pics you can see where the frame grip attaches to the bike. Tthe luggage rack attaches at the same rear mounting points as the grip & at the tail light bracket. The custom unit would probably attach the same as the stock frame grip. Or perhaps at 3 points, but others have reported that the tail light takes a beating when a rack is attached to it..

here is a rack i built from stainless tubing that use the shock studs and turn signal mounts for attachment points.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
03 Jun 2013 06:42 #590622 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.

531blackbanshee wrote:

what pipe are you running? it almost looks like a kerker cut back to the baffle.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
03 Jun 2013 08:05 #590624 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.
That's a sharp looking rack Leon, I need to find something like that for the 650.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
03 Jun 2013 12:07 #590643 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Thanks, KZRiders Here's all I can offer back.

DoctoRot wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote:

what pipe are you running? it almost looks like a kerker cut back to the baffle.

it is an unmolested kerker withe aluminum end cap(no baffle) that has kerker cast around the end.

i bough it from vernons.

thanks bluej58 it works very well.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0