Zink plating Source ?

More
26 Mar 2013 10:53 - 26 Mar 2013 10:59 #578863 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Zink plating Source ?
Call around to some local metal finishers. I tried the DIY method, the Eastwood kit is just a "tin" plater. To achieve a good finish, you need to use Caswells kit. And without a barrel plater you're wiring up each piece at a time. Very time consuming and boring.

But for less than 1/2 the price of a good DIY kit you can have a ton of hardware refinished. The first stuff I sent out to a local company cost me about $75 and a 3 week turnaround. I just had some hardware done for my current project, and I added pretty much every piece of hardware I own, cost me $190 including shipping. I can't reveal the source since it was another motorcycle restorer doing me a favor. I did come across a company called Arrow Plating in TX (IIRC) but I haven't tried them yet. When you call around you need to ask if they do small run barrel plating.

The first local company I used the plating came back very similar to the stuff you buy from a hardware store (blue chromate). The stuff in the photos is almost chrome-like. So if you find a plater, stick with them as they have different methods.

Here's some MX shock parts I had done in yellow chromate (cad plating)

Here's the difference between the Eastwood kit and a professional zinc finish. The silver bolts were done with Eastwoods kit, you have to polish them after the plating process and the luster does not last long. The smaller 8mm head bolt is standard blue chromate zinc plate.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 10:59 by Kidkawie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.