Engine Cleaning/Polish question?

More
06 Dec 2012 22:17 - 06 Dec 2012 22:47 #561794 by K.D. HART
Replied by K.D. HART on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?

z1kzonly wrote: Thats a nice start, that Z1. Nice and original!
You should put the time in to it. Take off the covers and machine buff them.
Install some new screws. Minimal investment, new gaskets and screws.
But a lot of time and sweat equity.
Good luck

I will do all of that in time. I just want to get it running for now and clean it up more in my spare time.
I already have done a lot to the 74.
Besides the hours and hours of cleaning. I have changed the oil, cleaned the tank, new battery, got a lot of the rusted parts loose, but not all. I had new keys made, air filter was a K&N. I cleaned it and oiled it again. New plugs. Carbs are being rebuilt and I'm looking for a used Dyna S ignition for it.

All of this and I still haven't fixed the wiring problem on the LTD I plan to ride next season. lol
This is my baby!
Last edit: 06 Dec 2012 22:47 by K.D. HART.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2012 18:50 #561914 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Ru...ble-tank-and-anodes/

rust removal with electrolysis, I am going to do my pipes and paint them, any clue at to what a good paint for exhaust will cost?

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2012 20:02 - 01 Mar 2013 01:54 #561931 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
I guess flitz is fairly reputable, but I can't afford it so I use spitz. :woohoo:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2013 01:54 by donthaveakawman.

More
07 Dec 2012 22:02 - 07 Dec 2012 22:05 #561945 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
KD, your bike will look great but you have to replace the rusted parts. Relace the wheels with stainless steel spokes, replace the engine cover screws and replace the shocks. All that would cost less than $200. You can repaint the body for about $60 using the method I did with my blue Z1B, masking off the stripes. Then just replace various rusted hardware from there. Looks like a good, solid bike. Just got some salt on it or something.

Look into oxalic acid ath, or OA Bath. It removes rust from chrome. Im going to try it on stuff like the brake pedal, chrome brackets and hardware onthe triple clamps.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 22:05 by Kidkawie.

More
08 Dec 2012 11:37 #562016 by K.D. HART

Kidkawie wrote: KD, your bike will look great but you have to replace the rusted parts. Relace the wheels with stainless steel spokes, replace the engine cover screws and replace the shocks. All that would cost less than $200. You can repaint the body for about $60 using the method I did with my blue Z1B, masking off the stripes. Then just replace various rusted hardware from there. Looks like a good, solid bike. Just got some salt on it or something.

Look into oxalic acid ath, or OA Bath. It removes rust from chrome. Im going to try it on stuff like the brake pedal, chrome brackets and hardware onthe triple clamps.

Thanks. I'm planning on getting a new S.S. allen head dress up hardware after I finish cleaning it up. I do have a few old screws that are stuck and the heads are bad. Any ideas on how to remove them?

More
08 Dec 2012 12:08 #562026 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
You mean the case screws are stuck and the phillips heads are worn out? I'd try an impact screw driver with a big phillips tip on it.

First spray the screw with some penetrating oil like PB blaster and let it sit overnight. Then try the impact screw driver to bust the screw loose.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
08 Dec 2012 12:19 #562028 by K.D. HART

Topper wrote: You mean the case screws are stuck and the phillips heads are worn out? I'd try an impact screw driver with a big phillips tip on it.

First spray the screw with some penetrating oil like PB blaster and let it sit overnight. Then try the impact screw driver to bust the screw loose.

I guess I should have stated that I'm using one of those hammer type impacts for removing the screws. The few bad ones are worn in the center and the phillips head just turns and has nothing to catch. Someone spun out the center years ago.

More
08 Dec 2012 18:27 #562065 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?

K.D. HART wrote:

Topper wrote: You mean the case screws are stuck and the phillips heads are worn out? I'd try an impact screw driver with a big phillips tip on it.

I guess I should have stated that I'm using one of those hammer type impacts for removing the screws. The few bad ones are worn in the center and the phillips head just turns and has nothing to catch. Someone spun out the center years ago.

The problem is that those cross head screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial. Standard (JIS). See:

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
08 Dec 2012 19:20 #562073 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
True story, Ed don't lie.

I bought a set of JIS screwdrivers and my bike's fasteners and my sanity have both been a lot safer and easier to manage.

Wish I'd done it before I stripped out one of my badge mounts, had to drill off the screwhead :angry:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
09 Dec 2012 00:09 #562114 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine Cleaning/Polish question?
Extractor tips are available that are designed to bite into the wallowed out hole of the screw head when the tip is pressed into the wallowed out hole and turned out counter-clockwise.

Sears and other stores carry a selection of tools and bits for affording a grip onto rounded off nuts and bolt heads and onto wallowed out screw heads.

Some may look like this

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
09 Dec 2012 00:40 #562117 by K.D. HART

650ed wrote:

K.D. HART wrote:

The problem is that those cross head screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial. Standard (JIS). See:

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

Thanks for the heads up, but what they really are is outdated fasteners. I'll make a couple of the modded philips heads, "but what can I do about the damaged heads"?
I still need to remove them. The screws I removed with the impact all can out fine, but the already messed up heads are not wanting to budge. Any ideas?
I'm going to replace every screw with an S.S. allen head and apply a copper based ANTI SEIZE to the threads.

More
09 Dec 2012 00:43 #562119 by K.D. HART

Patton wrote: Extractor tips are available that are designed to bite into the wallowed out hole of the screw head when the tip is pressed into the wallowed out hole and turned out counter-clockwise.

Sears and other stores carry a selection of tools and bits for affording a grip onto rounded off nuts and bolt heads and onto wallowed out screw heads.

Some may look like this

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks. I'll try to find one. They closed the sears by my home.
Removed a lot of broken bolts over the years, but not many screws.