Painting fenders ?

More
20 Sep 2012 07:47 #549828 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Painting fenders ?

punkrawkcafe wrote: Thanks for the info,your paint job on your bike looks amazing,im sanding my tank right now and getting all those layers off sucks.How many coats did you apply of primer,paint and clear?I was looking at your pictures and I was wondering if you painted your tank too, thats a damn good paint job

As I recall...there were about 5 coats of filler primer :woohoo: , of course each coat was sanded down prior to application of next coat, there were around same number of color and clear, :woohoo: one note, some paints reccomend a "Flex-Agent" when applying on plastic parts and pieces, we did use it on my tail piece and side covers on my bike, in most cases prevents wrinkling and cracking due to the plastic not being "Rigid" like metal,think about removing and installing side covers.... difficult to do with out an occassional slight bend. Primer, reducer, color and clear coats all first line R & M brand paint products, kinda pricy , but again, I had a connection that enabled me to get a discount, even with that it wasn,t cheap.There was a LOT of sanding involved to get it this smooth, yes a LOT of all kinds of work ( $$$$)went into the bike over 3 1/2 years! so much so that I don't know if I would take on a project like this again. :unsure:
Hope that answers some of your questions. :cheer:
Regards
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
22 Sep 2012 20:36 #550310 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Painting fenders ?
anytime you are painting bare metal or chrome it is a good idea to use a self etching primer.

• punkrawkcafe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Sep 2012 20:03 #550668 by punkrawkcafe
Replied by punkrawkcafe on topic Painting fenders ?
All this sanding sucks !

More
26 Sep 2012 08:16 #550945 by DanielTaylor
Replied by DanielTaylor on topic Painting fenders ?
I just pulled a broken windsheild to replace it..After i got all the silicone/rubber off' I cleaned over that area real good with a rust remover pad on an air-tool..I sprayed a normal coat of self etching primer.

• punkrawkcafe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Sep 2012 11:46 #551149 by punkrawkcafe
So now that I have got everything sanded down time to start priming,but I have another question about the side covers.When I removed the kz650 plastic emblem the little nubs broke,how did you put yours back on and after looking at your bike im considering painting the headlight bucket.

• punkrawkcafe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Sep 2012 11:58 #551153 by punkrawkcafe
I also wanted to add that after I get done priming and considering that my bike is in pieces all over my garage I am going to change the fork seals.They were leaking pretty bad in the summer heat I actually drained and renewed the oil about 2 months ago.The dust covers are all cracked and look like hell Ill post a pic before I tear them apart.Wish me luck guys,Ive heard these things are a bitch to get out,and I called the local kawi dealer and he wanted to charge $275 plus parts,thats a little bit high for me.

More
27 Sep 2012 12:55 #551162 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Painting fenders ?
I used RTV silicone to fold my emblem on I forgot to put the clips on (was gonna color sand and buff side civers) and never got around to it was in town stopped at the auto parts stiore bought a tube
glued it and its been that way all season well almost 2 seasons

I used to install ground effects and simulated convertable tops back in the 80's
2 sided tape and silicone was 90% of what held them on the ground effects would have only a few
strategically placed screws the rest rtv the tops used w few screws and pop rivits with most of the geads ground off

my fork seals are tost but i cant bring myself to fix them with this front end swap looming over me

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• punkrawkcafe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Sep 2012 18:21 #551230 by punkrawkcafe
Got everything done forks went well took about an hour for both seals I used two different sized dowels to hold the rod and didnt even use an impact.Time to paint eveything with an air brush and put everything back together.