KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams

More
20 Aug 2012 13:48 #543632 by Marklorenzo
KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams was created by Marklorenzo
Hello everyone. Recently purchased a 1984 KZ700A Sport. Absolutely love the bike, and it is a great candidate for restoration. Some research should have been handled before buying the bike but for 600$ I could not pass for a running KZ. I am starting to find out that parts for this bike are somewhat difficult to find due to Kawi not making very many. Does anyone have an idea if any gas tank are interchangeable for this model? The seam on the right side of the tank is slightly rusted and seeping gas very lightly. I have contacted a local radiator shop that fixes gas tanks, but with 200$ in tank fix and paint would be pretty pricey. Any help would be great, thanks

1984 KZ700 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2012 14:07 #543635 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams

Marklorenzo wrote: Hello everyone. Recently purchased a 1984 KZ700A Sport. Absolutely love the bike, and it is a great candidate for restoration. Some research should have been handled before buying the bike but for 600$ I could not pass for a running KZ. I am starting to find out that parts for this bike are somewhat difficult to find due to Kawi not making very many. Does anyone have an idea if any gas tank are interchangeable for this model? The seam on the right side of the tank is slightly rusted and seeping gas very lightly. I have contacted a local radiator shop that fixes gas tanks, but with 200$ in tank fix and paint would be pretty pricey. Any help would be great, thanks

Hello, Marklorenzo, and WELCOME to KZrider! :cheer:

May refer to the link in my signature for using kawasaki.com to determine which parts are shared among various models.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Aug 2012 14:59 #543648 by Marklorenzo
Replied by Marklorenzo on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams
That is a great source to have for parts etc. Checked gas tank, no other bikes except for 1984 KZ700 used that tank. Great..... :angry:

1984 KZ700 A1

More
20 Aug 2012 15:12 #543652 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams
They make a tank sealer now that is simply poured in over all the rust and it seals your seams and everything. They say it nuetralizes the rust and creates an air tite seal to prevent more. Winzer used to make this stuff. Its in a small can and its black like thin tar. Clean and dry tank, pour it in and dont get it on paint. move tank around like 4 to 5 times drying in between then pour out excess and let dry. I used this stuff a while back and had good results. The sealer is some mean stuff. I'll try to find the actual name.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
20 Aug 2012 15:23 #543654 by Marklorenzo
There is some slight rust on outside bottom seam. I am wanting to get that addressed first before I seal the tank, thinking of having it painted too but need to make sure everything is tidy first. I believe the tank sealer is called Kreem.

1984 KZ700 A1

More
20 Aug 2012 15:37 #543659 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams

Marklorenzo wrote: There is some slight rust on outside bottom seam. I am wanting to get that addressed first before I seal the tank, thinking of having it painted too but need to make sure everything is tidy first. I believe the tank sealer is called Kreem.

I'm not a fan of Kreem for rusted tanks works well on lightly rusted tanks the acd etch will eat right through an older rusty tank. slight leaks turn to major holes even though they say it will seal an 1/8" hole It didnt seal mine after eating through the seams. take jeed there are better sealers that dont use acid Kreem is 30 year old technology and doesnt hold that well under newr gasoline
Just my opinion I wont use it again and as far as prepping goes I did it by the book and then some

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
20 Aug 2012 16:59 #543672 by Marklorenzo
I think I am just going to take to Radiator Shop and have them look at it. Might just be my best route.

1984 KZ700 A1

More
20 Aug 2012 17:07 - 22 Jan 2013 21:12 #543674 by martin_csr
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 21:12 by martin_csr.

More
20 Aug 2012 17:20 - 22 Jan 2013 21:12 #543675 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams
double post delete
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 21:12 by martin_csr.

More
20 Aug 2012 23:54 #543767 by Marklorenzo
Just got the tank off the bike tonight. Believe it or not, the tank actually looks very very good inside. It looks like the tank has been once fixed before, welds along parts of the seams, and a red liner on the inside. Only partial rusty area is where my slight gas is leaking on right side and by the fuel cap, but from everyone else it looks solid. Going to drop off at radiator shop tomorrow.

Ps. A dremel and mother polishing compound works wonders on engine cases!!! Could not believe the difference.

So happy I found this forum, thanks everyone.

1984 KZ700 A1

More
21 Aug 2012 02:11 #543796 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ700A Gas Tank Rust at Seams
One problem with using sites such as kawasaki.com is that identical parts except for a color variance won't appear as a shared part, because each color has its own separate part number.

Could be wrong, but wouldn't be surprised to learn that the same shaped fuel tank was fitted over several years of KZ750 and KZ700 of similar model design such as standard. And likewise for the succession of LTD models. Sometimes an LTD tank will fit a standard model, and vice versa.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD