Stripped bolt - help a noob

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Aug 2012 16:13 #541020 by Topper
Stripped bolt - help a noob was created by Topper
One of the bolt holes that secures the sprocket cover on my '79 KZ750 is stripped. It's not the bolt, but the threads in the hole in the engine block.

It's normally held in place with a 6M x 90mm hex head bolt. Is my only option to drill and tap this for an 8M bolt?

There's a big difference between a 6M and an 8M and I'm not really sure an 8M will fit in the sprocket cover.

Do they make 7M bolts? I've never seen one.

Or, can I fill the hole with something like JBweld and then drill and tap new 6M threads in there?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Aug 2012 16:20 #541021 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
Helicoil ?? Might be a easy fix B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
06 Aug 2012 16:23 #541022 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
I could swear my exhaust studs are a 7mm thread. I know for sure that I have a 7mm tap, so surely bolts exist to go with it.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
06 Aug 2012 16:26 #541024 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
I would take it to a machinist and have them install a timesert or helicoil. Ed

www.timesert.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Aug 2012 16:47 #541031 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
Is a helicoil or timesert kit the sort of thing a noob can DIY or do I really need to go to a pro for something like this?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
06 Aug 2012 16:55 #541037 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
I'd pay the money and have someone with the tools and experiance repair the stripped threads. It's real easy to make matters worse if you really don't have any idea on how to fix this.

You'd need the proper size drill bit, making sure to be 90 degrees to the surface when drilled,the correct size heli-coil or timesert, and then be able to install it the correct way...

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Aug 2012 16:56 #541038 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
In practice, they aren't hard, but you'd have to get the tools for it, would be cheaper to just take in unless it's something you plan on doing a lot in the future. It's a pretty easy procedure, they shouldn't charge much for it.

You can surely youtube how to install helicoils and timeserts. I know I've seen videos of both before.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
07 Aug 2012 16:20 #541204 by lowkeyfilmz
Replied by lowkeyfilmz on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
lHelicoil is a good option go slightly bigger or switch to SAE? (Check your bolt at hardware store thread checker for your best suiter)

Also if you really want to do it the right way get a stud (Threaded rod no head) and some red lock tight.

Put locktight on the threads put it in the hole, wait till it cures and put a nut on the outside and tourqe down!

If Locktight wont hold and you feel like being an A$$ hole JB weld the stud in there and really champ it up!

It is not that hard to tap new threads, just get a good kit MAC or Snapon or buy only the size you need.
Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2012 16:54 #541211 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Stripped bolt - help a noob
Depends on just how much of a noob you consider yourself, it won't cost much to have it done, maybe find a guy willing to teach you the ways.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.