Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.

More
25 Jun 2012 18:50 - 26 Jun 2012 02:28 #531668 by 300kph
Been working on my Z1R tank for almost 2 weeks.

The original owner of the tank put a liner in it and there is no way it needed it. The tank is perfect inside. It probably just had some surface rust that could have been dealt with ina much better way. That Kreme stuff is simply garbage.

The old Kreme liner collapsed after many years of the tank (which was painted 12 years ago) just sitting in my home.

The liner for the most part is gone as gasoline got under it and helped lift it away from the inside surface. Big chunks (some 1/8" thick and 3" long came out or were pulled out with pliers.

A ton of crap came out of it. Will post pics of it. Still lots bonded to the sides and other places inside (and thats just what I can see)

Been giving it a vinegar bath for 2 weeks not (constantly shaking it up, draining it blowing it out with a compressor and then repeating the process. Started with 2 gallons at a time and now just one. Shaking it up and flipping into different positions many times a day.

Some really thin white stuff is hanging onto the flat spots and is being very pesky. It is as thin as newspaper and and is white on one side and brown on the side it was adhered to the tank) Little pieces the size of a fingernail and smaller are slowly coming out but seem to have hit a standstill.

I put in a pound of white (small diameter) decorative (aquarium style) gravel with the last fresh gallon of vinegar and have been agressively shaking it up in an effort to free the crap up.

With only the filler cap and fuel sending unit and petcock holes there is not much room to get in there but for a view but I can reach in with a long soda straw and pick away at the stuff.

It is such a slow process and something tells me I might not ever get it all out.

I have noticed that when I blow it out and let it dry in my dehumidfying room (sounds fancy but it's just a spare room I keep some collectibles and dehumidifier in) The dryness seems to make the stuff more susceptible to blowing it out with a high pressure air nozzle. Dry it, blast it with a long wand nozzle and more tiny bits of crap comes flying out.

Getting tired of this and been thinking about using something perhaps more agressive.

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) scares the hell outta' me as it is so dangerous and with my tank beautifully painted I do not want to risk it.

I also hear it eats rubber and that's what my stoppers are made out of so I'm leery.

Been thinking about Muriatic acid? What are the upsides and downers about using it? I hear it works well on rust, but there is no rust left in my tank, just the thin remnants of Kreme.

I hear aircraft stripper is very good but it's only sold in $54 gallons here and I'm told it is also highy caustic, toxic and will also eats rubber.

Not going to use nuts and bolts. That seems just too harsh.

The venegar is a very mild and benign acid acid and I only wish it would take off the last little bit that seems to remain. NOTE: It had a mild reaction to the vinegar and creates a bit of gas inside. When you shake it up or leaved it sealed the rubber stopped pops off with a little whoosh of air. I guess the gravel is quartz-based and creates the gas. I do not seal it completely when I let it sit now. Just to be safe. With my luck the pressure would pop a seam in the tank!

The flat "deck" on the inside of the tank seems to be the only place where it remains.

The person who lined it did an awful job and obviously never properly prepped the tank. It mainly settled in the bottom as they probably only gave it a few shakes and turns and then set it down and the majority of it ran to the bottom and also remained on the flat areas inside the tank.

The Z1R tank is a very unique shape with many levels an sharp angles. I am pleased that I seem to have it all out except for perhaps a few square inches (but then again there is no way to see inside the tank) Wish I had a small flexi LED-camera that plugged into a lap-top.

I know this is a topic that has been beten to death but some tips from people who've had success with similar situations would be appreciated.

wayne

1978 KZ1000 D1 (Z1R)
1979 KZ1000 A3 (MKII)
1979 Honda CBX (Candy Glory Red)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Silver)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Red)
1978 Yamaha XS1100
1982 Suzuki GSX1100S (Katana)
1984 Kawasaki KZ1100R (Silver)
2004 Honda Rune (Bloodstone Red)
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 02:28 by 300kph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2012 19:13 #531680 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
26 Jun 2012 02:01 - 26 Jun 2012 02:13 #531810 by 300kph
Replied by 300kph on topic Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.
Today I drained the vinegar and the white aquariaum gravel, blasted it out at a car wash and took it to my buddy's place with a air compressor and to my horror flash rust invaded the tank in less than the 30 minutes it took to get there and start blowing it out.

I regret putting the gravel in it as there constantly seems to be a few pieces that will not shake out... I almost wonder of the quartz make-up of the gravel caused a reaction as this is the first time flash rust appeared.

Frustrated I took the tank home and put a can of sea foam in it. Shook it up (I swear there in more gravel in it now)

The sea foam also built up gas inside and actually made a pop as some air slipped past the4 large bladder stopper I am using at the bottom for the large fuel sensor hole. I was horrified thinking the pressure caused a split but it was just a fart of air escaping the rubber bladder.

The vinegar by itself did not create gas... vinegar and the gravel did... sea foam by itself also created gas.

Going to take a break from it and consult a few painters. I fear using MEK as my tank has been painted expertly and it is perfect. I am too paranoid about using anything that caustic.

Not crazy about using screws or chain also. My luck will have the thing poked full of holes... a Z1R lawn sprinkler perhaps?

Keep the suggestions coming!

1978 KZ1000 D1 (Z1R)
1979 KZ1000 A3 (MKII)
1979 Honda CBX (Candy Glory Red)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Silver)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Red)
1978 Yamaha XS1100
1982 Suzuki GSX1100S (Katana)
1984 Kawasaki KZ1100R (Silver)
2004 Honda Rune (Bloodstone Red)
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 02:13 by 300kph.

More
28 Jun 2012 18:21 #532432 by mike0537
Replied by mike0537 on topic Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.
Cut the bottom half out of the tank and glass bead it. That is my plan for my rusty tank!

1980 KZ750E

More
29 Jun 2012 02:34 #532549 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
29 Jun 2012 09:15 #532575 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Get the Kreme out... Need some advice.
You need to get the gravel out, but after dumping the vinegar you should have used some water to get all the vinegar out then sprayed the whole inside with WD40 to prevent flash rust. Blowing warm air in there with a hair dryer could have helped dry it out if you didn't have a compressor. But if you do get some flash rust, so what? I don't see how that could cause any much harm. Its just surface rust that pretty much wipes away. And if the tank is filled with gas, won't it dissolve and get combusted through the engine? Not going to hurt anything or plug up any carburetor circuits as far as I know. The gravel grains may do so, but not the flash rust. Make sure you have a good inline fuel filter to catch any gravel you miss.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450