Rattle can side panel job question clear or no clear

More
26 May 2012 12:39 #524940 by apbling
Hi all, just shot my side panels with a rust oleum acrylic enamel gloss black. Can said something about being formulated for automotive or something... Anyway, they look ok now, but I was wondering if you guys think I should shoot a coat of clear on it? In the past it seemed like after I washed my rattle can jobs or they saw some sun, they got kind of hazy and funny... I've never used clear coat before so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 May 2012 13:01 #524942 by Motor Head
A clear coat will keep it looking glossy. But you have to apply it when the base coat is tacky, if you wait till its completely dry it won't bond. Then you can get peeling etc. See if those Cans have a time frame on them.
Personally I hate those Rustolem products, there are much better paints to use. Probably cheaper even. Rustolem seems to take forever to dry, and stays soft for a long time. Don't get the Deathonal fuel on it either, as it don't like it. It may lift, and dissolve around your tank cap from just the fumes coming around the seal.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
26 May 2012 16:28 #524976 by apbling
Haha great...well it's just the side panels, so hopefully it won't get gas on it. I'll go to Wally world later today and see if there is a non rust oleum clear there. I got it at autozone...I normally used duplicolor in the past, but autozone maybe doesn't have that line anymore?

Let's say I don't clear coat it...it will then haze a bit, right? Would waxing avoid this? Last time I tried to wax a rattle can job it didn't work well....