Corbin worth the $$$?

More
24 Feb 2012 14:40 #506120 by gwolever
Corbin worth the $$$? was created by gwolever
Hey guys.

I sold my huge stock seat the other day cuz I'm looking for a smaller, thinner seat in better shape.

I really like the Corbin Gunslinger, but it is $370. I know Corbin has a great reputation, but is there anybody who has one that can tell me it is worth this $$$ before I order one? It would make me feel a little better for shelling out so much cash.

Thanks.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2012 11:32 #506246 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I don't have a gun slinger but do like my Corbin. Lucky enough to drive in and have them custom build one for the bike. It was more than the standard slinger but this way it's up to you and the tech to build what you want.

I had to argue with the shop manager that I was not going to have any pattern embroidered on the thing. His argument was the added stitching will help it keep it's shape. Whatever.

Tech assigned to my job agreed with me. "You don't need it." :)

Couldn't get them to delete the Corbin logo on the seat. So when asked what color to use on the black leather, answer "black". You have to be close to see it.

Main thing is the foam is comfortable and there has been little to no sagging of the leather in 4 to 5 years post build.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
25 Feb 2012 12:03 #506253 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
i have had 2 on my HD's and liked them both they werent as expensive then but definately a quality seat

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
25 Feb 2012 12:43 #506262 by Drooz
Replied by Drooz on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Ya, they are pricey, but I like mine. B)

I have the Gunfighter/Lady model on my KZ1000 and I was surprised at how stiff/hard the seat is when I first got it. It is comfortable, but not in a cushey kinda way. :)

My wife rides on the back on occasion and likes the way it fits and that she can stay in position much easier than on the old stock seat. Not the same tendency to slide forward.

I ordered mine over the phone and the process was very painless. Good service and delivery.

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

More
25 Feb 2012 14:27 #506279 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I ordered a Gunfighter and lady for my 78 650 back on the 15th of Feb. To anyone else it is probably worth more than the bike is but I WANT it :woohoo: . I had to order one for the 1000. I will have to mod either the seat or frame rails for it to fit right but so be it.
They said it may take up to a month to get it built and shipped. So today I was going to add a can of their seat creme. I checked my email yesterday but the seat is already built and it shipped yesterday. Will be here on the seventh. They custom build them to you height, weight and inseam measurement.
Like I said it may be a bit of an overkill, somethings you want and just get it. Too each his own.
Les

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Feb 2012 15:28 #506283 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Well, I had 1 on my ZRX, sold it, had 1 on my ZX12R, don't use it anymore, had 1 on my "touring" bike ( Suzuki Bandit 1200), sold it and had a custom seat made by Bill Mayers ( from far 1 of the best if not the best seat ever)

Butt comfort is a very personal thing but here are some fact about Corbin:

Because they use their own base, ( that weight a lot and do not look very professional) they rarely fit as well than the factory seat,I got damage on the paint/plastic on both the Bandit and ZXR due to the seat.
Their seats are hard as rock and contrary to what they say, they NEVER break in and get softer.

Luc. 1975 Z1B

More
25 Feb 2012 16:22 #506288 by kz/pat
Replied by kz/pat on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
how do you get ahold of bill mayer. i need a seat

More
25 Feb 2012 16:29 #506291 by luc
Here you go: mayergonomic.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: kz/pat

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
25 Feb 2012 16:43 #506292 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I sure hope the BMS saddles are comfy, cuz they are not exactly nice to look at.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
25 Feb 2012 16:58 #506294 by luc
Agree with you but that the reason why most factory seats are not comfy, look over function.
For a seat to be comfortable your butt and thighs need support, the more support the better.

BMS reuse the factory seat base and built on it, they first put a molded ( many sizes) piece of foam that look like an old tractor seat and then built around it.

I think that the reason why Cobin are better than stock but nowhere near as good than a BMS is because ( beside the way too hard foam) they compromise too much the function for the look.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
25 Feb 2012 17:18 #506299 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I've personaly never had an issue with most stock saddles, I find they are pretty comfy.

That being said, my current project has a seat with 1" thick high density foam on an aluminum base for a seat...maybe I'm not the guy to ask about comfortable seats lol.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
25 Feb 2012 18:59 #506313 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Thanks for the input guys. I had my options narrowed down to the Corbin and a seat I saw on ebay that was cafe style but built in Vietnam possibly. It was less than half the price of the Corbin, but I think I would rather get the quality of the Corbin.

Thanks again for your help.

1982 KZ1000 CSR