Corbin worth the $$$?

More
25 Feb 2012 20:27 #506334 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Corbin worth the $$$?

gwolever wrote: Thanks for the input guys. I had my options narrowed down to the Corbin and a seat I saw on ebay that was cafe style but built in Vietnam possibly. It was less than half the price of the Corbin, but I think I would rather get the quality of the Corbin.

Thanks again for your help.

I am using one of those seats from Ebay. I bought just the cover and foam. Then I bought a used seat pan to put it on. Now I can swap from the cafe seat back to my standard flat seat in seconds. I love the cafe seat. It is firm, just like I like it. Been using it for about a year now and I have no complaints.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2012 23:38 #506368 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I have a Gunfighter on my 900 and really like it. May even get one for the 1000.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
25 Feb 2012 23:40 #506369 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
That seat looks great fordtruck. I wonder if the one with the seat pan already attached from ebay would fit on my bike like it says it would?

1982 KZ1000 CSR

More
26 Feb 2012 00:30 - 26 Feb 2012 01:26 #506376 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I might be late to this party but...
The Gunfighter I have is:
Firm and the part that your butt sets on is flat.
Doesn't quite fit as well on the bike as the stock seat, it sits higher. This leaves a noticeable gap between the seat and the side cover, exposing the frame rail.
The "ball cushion" that goes up the back of the tank will rub and leave a mark on the tank.
The rear "hump" is more pronounced than the one shown in the earlier post (the one from Vietnam).
If you are taller than 5'10" you may be a little cramped.
If you aren't, then it provides great support behind you but it's a Catch-22 because the shape and the way it fits will make the seat height such that you can't put your feet flat on the ground on an A model.
Mine sits in the garage, I only put it on for certain occasions. I like the sofa-like cushiness and the look of the standard seat. But, if you are going to ride aggressively, the Gunfighter does allow you to move around more without letting you slide off the back.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2012 01:26 by DiamondSkyBlue1000.

More
26 Feb 2012 00:36 #506378 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Bought a bike with a Corbin seat on it. Rode it once and immediately took that seat off. Felt like I was sitting on a board. Edge of seat also cut into my inner thighs. Worst seat I have ever sat on. A stock LTD seat is by far a better seat then a Corbin. Every seat I use is based on a LTD seat.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Feb 2012 01:02 #506383 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Corbin worth the $$$?

M357.5 wrote: I sure hope the BMS saddles are comfy, cuz they are not exactly nice to look at.

Funny that's exactly what I've said about Corbin the last 25 yrs. I'd rather ride on a piece of freaking wood than be ugly and them seats are ugly with a capitol F for fricking fugly. Don't know Bill Myers, but if his seats are more ugly, than that took a lot of effort.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
26 Feb 2012 01:24 #506392 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Leather Corbin. Very well-satisfied.
Affords back-to-back days of cross-country riding without butt-burn.
Imo more comfortable than the flat stock seat.
If didn't already have it, would buy another identical.
Have never regretted purchasing.
It's not for sale.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
26 Feb 2012 09:54 #506413 by fitscott
Replied by fitscott on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I've had corbins on 3 different bikes and have been happy with all 3, They feel very firm at first but break in after a few months. Scott

More
26 Feb 2012 20:27 #506556 by Drooz
Replied by Drooz on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
Like most things, it comes down to personal preference. You'll get as many lovin' 'em as hatin'!

My advice would be to sit on one before you spend! B)

My seat didn't fit out of the box, but my frame has been tweeked, and I never expected it to. It took some playin' around but it fits fine for me. The front of the seat does rub the tank some. That's a fact. :)

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Feb 2012 21:36 #506574 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I wonder what this 1 of a kind seat in the World would be worth?
Built on a factory seat pan, and stock, altered KZ foam. Harley Davidson factory seat leather/vinyl used. Made by a professional car guy. He retired. He did this for a favor for me! This was his last job! Thanks Bob! "Robert's Upholstery"
Sewed by a professional Upholstery man that is retired.
I had this seat made over 6 years ago. It has never seen a UV sun ray.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
28 Feb 2012 17:41 #506866 by THEBLUEMAX
Replied by THEBLUEMAX on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I have never owned a Corbin but my buddy had a gunslinger seat on his kz900 that I rode many times over several years. It was a little stiff but bearable on those long rides. Wanted one for my 76 kz900 ltd B1 but Corbin does not make them for my bike for some reason. I had the local upholster make me a custom seat with my seat pan and I'm loving it. It was a little pricey, about the same as a Corbin but worth every penny and very comfortable. I'm building a solo seat pan for my bike and am having the him do that seat too.

Attachment IMG_20120224_113611_2012-02-28.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20120224_113706_2012-02-28.jpg not found

THEBLUEMAX
1976 KZ900 ltd B1
Attachments:

• mwriders
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
28 Feb 2012 18:02 #506871 by mwriders
Replied by mwriders on topic Corbin worth the $$$?
I've had two Corbins. One was custom built on a Yamaha pan. The last I knew, Corbin will still do that if you send them the pan. The other off the rack for a BMW. Put long miles on both. Loved 'em both. Foam and covers held up great in all weather. I also had an upholsterer friend build one on the stock pan for my KZ. I don't know about how well it will hold up yet. But, as near as I can tell, it mostly comes down to the foam. Pretty much any good high density foam is an improvement over OEM. The local guy cost a lot less and cut the foam to my specifications.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80