Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 02 Nov 2011 00:04 #486631

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
Ok cool. I am going to run by radio shack or autozone tomorrow to pick up a relay. I will try it out with the ground running through 30/87 and see how that works once I get the tank back on with fuel in it...and staying in it...LOL!
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 02 Nov 2011 00:11 #486633

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Did you look at doing the transistor set up?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 02 Nov 2011 00:38 #486645

• clutch
  • User

Motor Head wrote: Did you look at doing the transistor set up?

Does looking at the pics and thinking "what the heck is that?", then scrolling down to see how much there is to read before you give up count as looking at it? LOL
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 02 Nov 2011 01:49 #486654

• clutch
  • User

clutch wrote:

Does looking at the pics and thinking "what the heck is that?", then scrolling down to see how much there is to read before you give up count as looking at it? LOL

Ok..I was bored, so I actually read it...kinda understand it...but think the relay method will be much easier for me. :)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 02 Nov 2011 09:54 #486679

• Motor Head
  • User

clutch wrote:

clutch wrote:

Ok..I was bored, so I actually read it...kinda understand it...but think the relay method will be much easier for me. :)

Ok so I was bored too that's why I am posting, at least the projects around here are interesting. ;)
Stupid Snow is back again today, so I'm gonna be in the garage/ house all day. After 24 years in Alaska, I pretty much Hate Snow! :sick:
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 03 Nov 2011 13:03 #486837

• clutch
  • User

Motor Head wrote:

clutch wrote:

clutch wrote:

Ok so I was bored too that's why I am posting, at least the projects around here are interesting. ;)
Stupid Snow is back again today, so I'm gonna be in the garage/ house all day. After 24 years in Alaska, I pretty much Hate Snow! :sick:

I didn't mean any offense by that...it just seems the transistor setup and how it works is slightly over my head. And I agree...snow stinks! We haven't had any here yet, but I'm sure we will get a few inches before the winter is over.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 04 Nov 2011 01:17 #486933

• clutch
  • User
I'm a little disappointed. The tracking info told me the gasket material was expected to be here today, but it hasn't been delivered yet. Hopefully it will come tomorrow with enough time to spare to get that shape cut out, and put it on. I won't put gas in until Saturday so I can go for a ride (as long as the gas stays in the tank this time! LOL!
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 05 Nov 2011 02:45 #487090

• clutch
  • User
The buna n gasket material came in today, right before I had to go to work. As soon as I got home, I cut out a piece and cut it to size, and added to holes for the bolts and the petcock. I am a little excited, and very nervous about adding gas back into the tank at this point. I will be pushing it out into the driveway (so as not to stink up the garage again) tomorrow and putting gas back in it. I don't care what the weather is like, I will be riding my bike tomorrow if the gas actually stays in the tank! Keep your fingers crossed for me! :woohoo:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 05 Nov 2011 15:54 #487136

• clutch
  • User
So far, so good. The Buna-N looks like the way to go. It's holding gas in the tank after an hour or two. Someone on my Permatex thread said they had a bad experience with a rubber gasket though, so I will keep an eye on it.

I went for a short ~5 mile ride today. The bike was running like a dream! The mixture was right on, but it's a little chilly today, so I'm thinking I may have to lean it up a little during the summer months. The seating position with the leveled seat/tail and the stock pegs is much more comfortable than how I had it before. Not only that, but with the seat shortened, it is a perfect fit for me. There is a little room to slide up or back, and when I'm back, the tail portion is almost like a little back rest, holding me in place.

There are a couple minor issues I still need to work out...the speedo is not working (I need to adjust the sensor I'm sure), and the brake light is intermittent. I'm thinking the brake light issue is because I hooked up my "hazard" indicator inline to light up with the brake lights. I may try a small resistor there to see if it fixes the problem, or just cut that out completely. Also, I still need to go pick up a relay to try Motor Head's fix for the low fuel light.

Long story short, it stays the way it is, and I just fix whatever isn't working properly from now on! :)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 05 Nov 2011 19:55 #487154

• Motor Head
  • User
Glad you got to ride it, even though it was brief. Hopefully your fuel leak is history, and you can quit worrying about it.

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 06 Nov 2011 01:20 #487178

• clutch
  • User

Motor Head wrote: Glad you got to ride it, even though it was brief. Hopefully your fuel leak is history, and you can quit worrying about it.

Me too! I did go back out again, and ended up riding down to radio shack and autozone to pick up a relay and some resistors. It was about 20 mile round trip. I fixed the issue with my speedo, and will rewire the low fuel light with the relay soon. I'm debating whether I should use resistors on the brake "idiot" light I rigged up, as they create a lot of heat from what I have read. I will probably just get rid of that, and be done with it.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 08 Nov 2011 22:48 #487705

• clutch
  • User
Thank you Motor Head, the relay in the low fuel light circuit is working like a champ!

I went for a ride today. My original plan was to ride all day, but I initially only got about 2 miles, and then the engine died. While I was slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road, I initially thought my throttle cable snapped, or came loose. Upon inspection, I had blown the ignition fuse. 2 fuses later, I realized that the Dyna-S wiring was laying on the exhaust. It had melted the casing, and was grounding on the muffler! I rigged it well enough to get home, replaced the fuses and used a couple of cable ties to fix the issue.

After correcting the issues, I went back out. Stopped for gas after a few miles (and the low fuel light went off!), and then kept going. I rode clear across the county, and back home. I put at least 80 miles on the bike today! :)

I am having an issue with my tail light though. I noticed this when I got home and I was letting the engine idle for a minute in the driveway. Every so often, the taillight just goes off. A minute later it's back on. When the light goes out, the brake light does not work either. It could be either the power (both run off the same fuse), or the ground. I didn't run through the wiring yet, but will soon. I'm hoping it is not the light itself (fairly new LED setup). In any case, once that is taken care of, the bike should be good to go for a long time (I hope).
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...