Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch's 1982 KZ750 E3 Cafe 07 Oct 2011 18:59 #481909

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
So I'm just about done with my complete rewire of the bike and decided to repaint it because I'm going back to the cafe style. I cut down my cafe seat about 5 inches shorter (off the front) than in the pic, but here is the look I am going for. (EDIT: don't mind the wires everywhere, I actually already cleaned that up since taking this pic)

I already sanded down and started laying down the red on the tail and left side cover. I will have lots of pics of my progress as I get more done.

~Clutch
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by clutch.

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 07 Oct 2011 22:43 #481943

• clutch
  • User
So I took a few pics of the side cover and tail. The paint looks pretty decent for not having sanded yet.

This is what I'm using:

On a side note, I made a wooden platform for the seat. It gives me something sturdy to hold my weight, makes for easy mounting of the tail and also gives me a spot to mount a hidden switch. I used a door hinge to give me the ability to open it without taking it off completely. I do need to find some sunken head m6 x 1.0 screws so it will lay flat, and some kind of latch to hold it in the down position as well.

I will be using the stock rear passenger grab strap as a holder for when the seat is open. This way I won't scratch up the beautiful paint job I'm working on.
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 09 Oct 2011 02:56 #482114

• clutch
  • User
There doesn't seem to be a big interest in this thread, but I will keep on posting in case anyone is looking. I finished laying down the base on the left side cover yesterday and sprayed a few layers of clear on.

I let it dry all day, and when I got home from work a little while ago, was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. If all the other pieces come out this well, I will be happy! (the pics do not do it justice either)

In case you're wondering, this is what I'm using for clear coat because I have three cans left over from my last rattle can job

Started spraying the base on the right side cover tonight

I also pulled the left rear footpeg mount to soak in some degreaser overnight. I will dry it out, sand it and start laying the base on that tomorrow ( I only have enough room for a couple pieces at a time). As for the tail, I did a terrible job prepping that, and need to sand that thing back down again and then lay on the base properly. I have a feeling that my tank will be the most difficult part, but we shall see! :silly:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Last edit: by clutch. Reason: fixed photo links!

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 10 Oct 2011 01:55 #482279

• clutch
  • User
So got a few more things done today. I prepped the gas tank and started to spray on the base. (WARNING: crappy cell phone pics tonight)

I had to sand the right side cover and respray because of a few rough spots

I decided to spray the other side of the rear footpeg mount for some reason....

Also, I had bought these little emblems a while back. I'm not sure if I like them or not. I dry-placed them on the finished left side cover a couple different ways to see what I though. I'm still not sure, but if anyone is following these thread, feel free to let me know your opinion :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 11 Oct 2011 00:43 #482484

• clutch
  • User
The left rear peg mount is done. It's another crappy cell phone pic (keep forgetting my cam inside). As you can see, the tail/seat is not done. I was sanding it back down and realized I hadn't drilled mounting holes yet, so I took care of that.

The tank is coming along nicely. I will need to smooth out a couple spots, but it doesn't look like it will be anywhere near as difficult as I thought. Once I have the base on nice with that, I will pull out the frog tape (green masking tape) and lay down the white for the "racing stripe". Then it will just need some clear. I also finished the right side cover. Other than the tank and tail, I still need to prep, paint and clear the front fender, right rear peg mount, headlight bucket (maybe), and if I can think of an easy way to do it, I was going to put a red accent ring around the top of my acewell computer (probably overkill lol!). More pics tomorrow...
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 11 Oct 2011 20:02 #482600

• clutch
  • User
The tail and tank are drying for a couple days before I tape them up for the white bits.

The right rear peg mount and the front piece (trim??) are drying to be clear coated

Next will be the front fender, and possibly the headlight bucket. When all the body is done, I will need to clean the engine up to repaint a few spots I damaged, and I may add some red to the stator and timing covers for extra pop :)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 11 Oct 2011 23:42 #482668

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Coming along nicely.
I'd say go with the KZ in line on the side covers, as in the 2nd pic.
The letters/numbers seem a bit big. Maybe go with smaller or none at all.
Up to you in the end.
B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 11 Oct 2011 23:47 #482670

• clutch
  • User
Yeah, I think for now I will go without. I will keep my eye out for smaller letters/numbers.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 11 Oct 2011 23:59 #482677

• Bigberst89
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Everything is looking good! Nice color scheme your doing, i also agree with rstnick, If your going to use the emblems id go with the ones in the second pic.
1982 Kawasaki Spectre 1100-D1

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 14 Oct 2011 01:54 #483085

• clutch
  • User
Front trim thingie reinstalled

Right side cover and rear peg mount (without peg..lol!) reinstalled [EDIT: the wires are for the tail/brake light. I haven't finished that part of the re-wire because I've been painting the tail piece...but that is all that's left!]

Front fender base, but no clear yet

Tank upside down (on some towels to hopefully not ruin the paint) so that I can file out the petcock hole for a screw-in type (stock was leaking in Prime, so I figured it was time to go).

I am very upset with myself today. I taped off the tail to spray the stripe, but didn't cover the red base well enough in a few spots, so I will have to do some repair work on that (I was so close to done with that piece too!!!!) I won't upload a pic yet, because there is a surprise ending to this makeover! :evil:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 17 Oct 2011 01:00 #483685

• clutch
  • User
Clear-coating the tank and tail tomorrow....will have pics of the finished project soon! :D
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1982 KZ750 E3 makeover 18 Oct 2011 16:08 #483960

• clutch
  • User
Just about done now. I've got the tank done, and reinstalled...just waiting for the tail to dry after washing it off (just sanded it...again!), and then I will be clearing that. I'm holding out on the final pics until it's done. It is by no means a pro paint job, but I like it, and think it looks better than the flat black with no clear that I had on it most recently. LOL!
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...