Spray paint Fork Lowers

More
02 Apr 2011 10:11 - 21 Feb 2013 17:49 #442127 by martin_csr
Spray paint Fork Lowers was created by martin_csr
What would be a good spray paint from the auto parts store for the fork lowers? Color = Silver.

I did one set w DupliColor wheel paint. They came out pretty good, but they've developed some fine cracking - I guess from the forks flexing?
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 17:49 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 12:53 #442160 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
The forks take a beating from the road. On my KZ1000 with factory black forks even the hard powdercoat type coating was chipped real severely, but I did a lot of miles on the interstate. I'd either leave them alone or get them powder coated. I don't think paint will be long lasting on the forks if you do any riding.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2011 13:59 #442173 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
How long ago did you do the Dupli paint? They look really nice. It's possible that forks are an area that needs touch up every couple years. If that's the case, paint or polish is the only options I can think of. But I'm slow in the head, others will probably have a better opinion.

More
02 Apr 2011 14:54 - 12 Feb 2013 12:19 #442183 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 12:19 by martin_csr.

More
02 Apr 2011 15:27 #442188 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers

martin_csr wrote: ...The stock forks had a sort of yellowish or golden hue, but I don't know if that was from age or what. I don't recall what they looked like new. I'm pretty sure they had a factory clear coat on them. If so, maybe they yellowed....

Many of the parts with polished surfaces on the new bikes were protected by some sort of tough clear plastic-like coating, such as fork lowers, certain engine covers, brake and clutch levers, etc.

But after a few years, the clear gradually yellowed or got blotchy looking.

The coating was difficult to remove, and some after marketers actually offered a special remover for this particular purpose, which didn't work very well and not much better than paint remover which also didn't work very well.

Have never quite figured out exactly what the factory clear coat is.
Am thinking it's not lacquer or automotive style clear coat or clear powder coat.

Not heard about any truly successful method of protecting and preserving the finish on polished aluminum. Paste wax helps for a short while.

Prefer the look of freshly polished aluminum, but gave up long ago and went to chrome or black powder coat.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Apr 2011 16:12 - 21 Feb 2013 17:49 #442192 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Spray paint Fork Lowers
I removed the factory coating using paint stripper from the hardware store, immersing each one in a form fitted "boat" made from heavy aluminum foil.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 17:49 by martin_csr.

More
02 Apr 2011 18:45 #442211 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
I can't remember the name of the stuff but some other members on here were the ones who used it but they mentioned a "paint" that you sprayed on that either helped paint stick to polished aluminum surfaces or it itself was the protectant...can't remember. Maybe one of them will see this and remember. It sounded like the answer to the problem but I have never used it myself. Have to do some checking around. Maybe Eastwood sells something like this.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
02 Apr 2011 20:20 #442221 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
What other methods are there to give your lowers a better look? Mine have only been washed in the last 35 years- the "clear" plastic type OEM crap is chipping off and looks, well, not great, but not BAD just yet.

Glass beading? Is there a clear powdercoat finish out there?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2011 20:23 #442223 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers

racer54 wrote: I can't remember the name of the stuff but some other members on here were the ones who used it but they mentioned a "paint" that you sprayed on that either helped paint stick to polished aluminum surfaces or it itself was the protectant...can't remember. Maybe one of them will see this and remember. It sounded like the answer to the problem but I have never used it myself. Have to do some checking around. Maybe Eastwood sells something like this.

Like an adhesion promoter? Or something different?

More
02 Apr 2011 21:20 #442236 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
There is clear powdercoat. There also are a variety of silver colors ranging from a cast aluminum color to a chrome color. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2011 21:29 #442239 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 Apr 2011 22:16 #442259 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Spray paint for Fork Lowers
If I remember right, it was more an adhesive promoter. I remember that you polished your part to the shine you wanted and then sprayed it with this. Just can't remember if it was the final coat or you put on a clear over it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110