Who's the resident expert?

More
19 Mar 2011 21:48 #439040 by les holt
Who's the resident expert? was created by les holt
I've got a dash for a Z1R I'm needing some glass work done on. I'm needing the speedo and tach hole sizes smaller. I would rather have someone who knows their stuff and knows what these old bikes are, not some macco joe saying it looks ok to me. I figured I would ask here because I've seen some over the top work on here and I respect nice work.
So whos up for the challenge?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
19 Mar 2011 21:58 #439045 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Who's the resident expert?
Blackbanshee and I had talked about this before. Post a pic of the dash- I'm certain I can accomplish what your asking B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
19 Mar 2011 22:31 #439052 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Who's the resident expert?
Here's a pic, If you need more detail I'll have to take it off tomorrow. I'm just needing the 2 large holes taken down to 3-3/8 with no recess.

Attachment faringmounting008.JPG not found

Attachments:

• porchev914
  • User
More
19 Mar 2011 23:05 #439058 by porchev914
Great, thanks Les. The short answer is yes, I can do it. The long answer is that to do it right, I would need to make a splash mold, or temporary mold from the original. Then make a light replica out of fiberglass. I would make the modifications to the glass replica (namely filling in the recess" then make a more permanant mold from the modified glass part. Once I have the permanant mold, I can laminate a permanant part from fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar/texalum..ect I could cut one of the steps out, and make a mold off of the OEM part, then modify the mold and fill in the recesses, but mold repairs don't come out as nice as a monolithic mold, and imperfections get transfered to the finished part. In your case, your build, I think a carbon dash would fit in the nicely B)

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • User
More
19 Mar 2011 23:14 #439060 by porchev914
You know, I was just thinking about the backside.....is there alot of mounting points on the back? If the back of the dash is complex, then it would be easier (and cheaper) to fill in the recess and just overlay the face of the panel. Re-cut the gauge holes smaller and then your ready to rock :cheer:

FRANKEN Z!

More
19 Mar 2011 23:42 #439065 by les holt
It does have mounting tabs on the back and ends of the ears. I would be content with your last suggestion. I do like the carbon fiber idea.

• porchev914
  • User
More
20 Mar 2011 05:56 #439106 by porchev914
If you plan on taking the panel off, post a pic of the backside as well. A couple of tabs isn't too bad, nor are a few simple mounts. Leon- if you have a Z1R dash layin around, then you can do it too. Oh, and just for the record, I'm no pro :whistle:

FRANKEN Z!

More
20 Mar 2011 07:43 #439119 by les holt
My main goal is for it to be sturdy, flat and symmetrical. As I pointed out in my PM to you I plan on having it covered. If your up for it let me know

• rslingshot
  • Banned
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
More
20 Mar 2011 08:12 #439121 by rslingshot
Replied by rslingshot on topic Who's the resident expert?
Les why not pick up some black nylon or black delrin and machine two hole reducers that press into the factory gauge panel, then you can make the 3.375 holes fit as lose or tight as you want them.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

More
20 Mar 2011 11:24 - 20 Mar 2011 11:26 #439130 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Who's the resident expert?
these dashes are (to my knowledge)not available anywhere.i am sure one like les's with no repairs would pull an inordinate amount of cash if offered for sale.having said that,i would rather do as adam has suggested and lay one up.
rather than modify a unmolested one.
call me a whiner :( or whatever but i have two of these bikes and one dash (that has been repaired)and have searched for years for another one.
so it is self serving for me to see adam lay one up for les.then i could i try and elbow my way on for the "second"one :whistle: :evil: :) .

i will be watching this thread to see what shakes out as i am in need of at least one dash and two if they are available.

rslingshots, idea of spinning up some stepped reducers would be a nice workaround to keep from permanantly altering a previously unmolested original.

for my 1978 dash i dont need anything but a flat dash to use a trailtech vapor for the guages.my 80 i want to keep the guages on.

i don't have my dash off adam so i can't get the needed pics.i bet les can come through tho :whistle: .

i just had the little triangle endcap that holds my dash and fairing together crack and break off.what about some billet ones les :P ?

the end caps could be a good exercise in titanium fab and welding,adam :silly: .hehe,just sayin.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 20 Mar 2011 11:26 by 531blackbanshee.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Mar 2011 12:49 #439148 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Who's the resident expert?

rslingshot wrote: Les why not pick up some black nylon or black delrin and machine two hole reducers that press into the factory gauge panel, then you can make the 3.375 holes fit as lose or tight as you want them.

i like this idea too. or maybe even make them out of alum. the id could be machined to accept the new gauges. then u could paint them black .:)
i have always thought i would have a ring like this machined so i could mount an Acewell gauge inside my kz cup. i just need someone with the talent ,like one of u guys to do it for me . :kiss:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Mar 2011 16:53 #439211 by les holt
Leon is right, almost impossible to find in good condition. This has been broke and repaired, that's why I don't feel guilty modifying it. It doesn't look too bad to the untrained eye but it isn't good enough and I paid 200 for it. I'll bet some good money that you could sell more than the 2 that myself and possibly leon would take. I actually thought about turning rings to reduce the hole size but I don't think I'll get the look I want. There is a vinyl shop around here that does little things clear up to complete car wrap. He guarantee's me he can make it look like real carbon fiber.
Here is a pic of one of the gauges.

Attachment bikegauges.jpg not found

I think the carbon fiber look would be on the money for these.
Attachments: