saddlemen "saddle skin" seat cover review..MKII

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Feb 2011 09:08 #429406 by trianglelaguna
saddlemen "saddle skin" seat cover review..MKII was created by trianglelaguna
if someone wanted to cover a ripped seat -on a project that already had a new theme going-then this seat cover "might" be the one for you...

in my project it wont even come close and was a waste of time.....

so here is my opinion....

kz900 A-4 the seat cover i used was also by them...

it tore when installing..it has worn already (1 yr) and is not a replica...it also had a product tag(so does the MKII)that i would rather not have sticking off the back of my seat,,,,it begs tearing of ...like t-shirts tag...

MKII A-3 the same right out of the box...cheap construction...not a replica and not even close....

i will assume that this cheap material will be ripping when some one with even decent motorcycle and hand skills tries to instal it...

they also have a stupid draw string construction under the seat which leaves the new owner with about 2 feet of shoe laces to try and cut (fray) or wind up...

imo this product is about a 4/10...

i love the seller i bought it form and never want to knock someones gig that supports these oold bikes or this site...

but fair is fair and others looking to restore or re-do a KZ900-A-4 or a KZ1000 MKII A-3 will find these seats are not even close....that would have been nice for me to know...now you do....

My exact replica is in route and i will give a picture comparsion to be fair and list $$$ and install story...soon

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Feb 2011 09:10 #429408 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic saddlemen "saddle skin" seat cover review..MKII
for the cost of a decent seat cover i would expect a better effort than this...look the same to you...even the fabric is pebbly and cheap

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Feb 2011 09:39 #429423 by RonKZ650
That's the case so often on seat covers. Shame so much crap is sold.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Feb 2011 11:02 #429440 by gane
Just a tip for those intrested, Milwaukee Cycle offers seat covers for many '70's & 80's street bikes. I've used 3 so far, In 2 cases, they didn't have what I wanted on hand, & they "made 'em" for me. Apparently from original patterns. (ie correct ribs/stiching/under lieing foam etc) turn around was 4-6 weeks, & cost @ $80.00. A long wait, BUT worth it to me for NEW material & correct fit...The only thing they didn't offer on 1 was the "painted" HONDA across the butt of 1. If you're shopping, well worth a look.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Feb 2011 12:55 #429458 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic saddlemen "saddle skin" seat cover review..MKII
great tip...thanks Gane

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Feb 2011 13:20 #429474 by gane
Por nada, mate, But...if anyone has experiance with an upholster who does custom work, I've this "corbin" seat I've been "playing" with. I'd like done with a "textured" saddle, (Black) & white panels w/ red top & contours to match plastic.

Attachments:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 13:54 #429483 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic saddlemen
I assume there are lots of good custom upholstery people on the West Coast that can do whatever u want.Guy here in Chattanooga (james) at Grants Trim Shop is a whiz on bike seats and has done some beautiful work for me.Would be glad to furnish more info if u need it.They been in business for 60 something years and stand behind all that they do.bj

More
08 Feb 2011 14:03 #429486 by Frankn9
I've used sargents for seat skins before you can find them online. they do custom work and sell seat skins also. if you want your seat "restored" they do that too, if you send them your seat. high quality and fair prices in my mind.

More
08 Feb 2011 14:07 #429488 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic saddlemen
gane wrote:

...this "corbin" seat I've been "playing" with. I'd like done with a "textured" saddle, (Black) & white panels w/ red top & contours to match plastic....

Corbin supposedly offers recovering.
Here's an excerpt from their website:

My seat's about 30 years old, can you recover it?
Naturally we offer recovers, repairs and restorations of your Corbin saddle. The cost of recovering a seat can vary quite a bit and your best option is to contact our Customer Service department directly. To give you an idea: If your saddle needs a new cover made, the cost will be approximately 75% of that seat model's current price. This is because the greatest area of cost on a saddle (in raw materials AND labor) is in the cover and assembly. Before sending in a saddle for repair or rework, always contact us for a "TLC" number first to assure you get the quality service you deserve.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Feb 2011 14:25 #429498 by gane
Replied by gane on topic saddlemen
Patton, Thanks, I thought of contacting Corbin directly (I met Mike years ago at Laguna Seca) But doubted they would have any desire to do "one off" work )especially since I've done some "sculpting" work of my own. G

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 16:16 #429522 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic saddlemen
I have the Saddlemen Kz900-A4 cover also. I can agree with what Tri says to a 'T. I recovered my seat after replacing the "LTD'd" seat foam on my A4 with foam from AmericanClassix.com.

Tri - who made the other cover you are ordering?

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
08 Feb 2011 16:50 #429530 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic saddlemen
I did my voyager last summer, and this spring the 650 is up. But I make my own. Not too hard if you can sew to speak of.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager