Powder coat advice, please

More
25 Oct 2005 15:44 #4199 by koolaid_kid
Powder coat advice, please was created by koolaid_kid
I have my GPz engine apart, doing some work on it. I want to paint the engine parts, while they are apart. This includes the cylinder, head, and valve cover.
I also have other parts that I would like to redo, such as lower fork tubes, controls, levers, etc. Due to the high cost of having a professional company do the work, and the fact that I have 3 bikes that I would really like to go through, I am considering setting up my own small facility.
I have already researched the paint, the spray gun, sandblaster, and using an old kitchen stove for the oven.
Would anyone have any constructive advice to offer before I go off the deep end?
Such as, I have heard that powder overspray would be an issue, and I should find some way to control it.
Thanks in advance, kk

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2005 16:05 #4210 by John68
Replied by John68 on topic Powder coat advice, please
nah, don't worry about powder overspray. powder can be blown off of where it doesn't belong, and there really isn't a lot that can go wrong. Just don't overheat the piece, and get yourself a heat gun as well. heatguns are really good things to have. Even if you are not powdercoating.

More
25 Oct 2005 18:00 #4240 by mysticwolf
Replied by mysticwolf on topic Powder coat advice, please
Though I have never done it, it looks pretty easy, I have done a little reserch on it my self, and I do know that they make a type of tape made just for powder coating for over sray, you dont have to take it off while baking the peices. Also, ( if you dont know ) DO NOT use a gas stove for this, it WILL cause it to explode from the fumes. I'll look up the web site I found, and let you know what it is, if you need. Let use know how things turn out.

More
25 Oct 2005 18:02 #4241 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Powder coat advice, please
Thanks, John. I use a heat gun at work (electrical engineer), but what would I use it for when powdercoating?
Also, they sell the powder by the pound. What type of coverage should I expect? I realize that there will be some waste, doing small parts, but I have no idea how much is enough, or too much. For example, the engine parts I listed in the initial post.

1983 GPz 750

More
25 Oct 2005 18:04 #4243 by koolaid_kid
Thanks, mysticwolf. I found the tape on eBay in 3 different widths, and it looks like the stuff to use. They also have plug/patch kit to cover up the holes that you don't want painted, such as bolt holes and threaded holes.

1983 GPz 750

More
25 Oct 2005 18:50 #4264 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Powder coat advice, please
You just knew that I'd be along with some links, didn't you :D

www.stivermotorsports.com/id44.htm

www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/

The following link is to the powder coating forum at Caswell, tons of info.

forum.caswellplating.com/forumdisplay.ph...2d22188e08054db8&f=9

Powder Coating Systems, Colors and Supplies
www.caswellplating.com/powder/index.html

Some people actually do use gas ovens for powder coating :ohmy:

Lined up an old oil tank to make into an oven today :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/25 22:40

KD9JUR

More
25 Oct 2005 20:02 #4289 by John68
Replied by John68 on topic Powder coat advice, please
heatguns and heatlamps can also be used for powdercoating. heatlamps are great for doing stuff around the house. My uncle used to work for a company that went into offices at night and powder coated desks and office furniture in the office, without having to remove any of it. They used heatguns(lots of wattage, some were 240V 20amp or 40amp 120V) but mostly they used infrared heat lamps. it's a lot easier to watch things "flow" when you have a heat lamp, vs. putting things in the oven.

More
26 Oct 2005 05:20 #4347 by koolaid_kid
Steell, you never cease to amaze. :ohmy:

John, thanks for the info on the heat gun. I could probably use that for some difficult parts that I was going to skip on.

1983 GPz 750

More
26 Oct 2005 05:49 #4349 by KZReeder
Replied by KZReeder on topic Powder coat advice, please
Not sure where you guys are located but a buddy of mine here in South Bend Indiana has an excellent hobby powder-coating set up and charges next to nothing... basically to cover his materials. He's an old custom paint guy and vintage dirtbike collector. He is really particular about his finishes and colors... uses all uv resistent colors too. I plan on doing a tear down this winter and powder coating a bunch of stuff. His oven is big enough to do a bike frame easily.

-Claude Reeder

(He also does sandblasting as well)

Post edited by: kzreeder, at: 2005/10/26 08:51

More
26 Oct 2005 06:45 #4364 by koolaid_kid
KZReeder, sent you a PM.

1983 GPz 750

More
26 Oct 2005 11:00 #4427 by KZReeder
Replied by KZReeder on topic Powder coat advice, please
I talked to my buddy Mark who's got the powder coating business... he is going to measure the inside of his oven to make sure that a KZ frame will fit... all he's done is dirt bike or quad frames so far.

He guessed that if he can get a KZ frame in there, he could blast and coat a frame for around $150 or less... he's a good guy and you would get a quality product.

-Claude

Post edited by: kzreeder, at: 2005/10/26 14:02

Post edited by: kzreeder, at: 2005/10/26 14:03

More
28 Oct 2005 18:15 #5036 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Powder coat advice, please
I do powder coating as a side biz....
Coverage depends on how thick you want it.. if you apply it too thick it will drip and then its a mess to fix. typical thickness for powder is 1.5 to 2 mils

Heat lamps and heat guns are a waste of time.. the part needs to be preheated evenly and cured evenly.. you cant acheve that with a heat gun. the heat lamps are like trying to heat a house with the doors and windows open

3M makes special tape for powder coating works well you just need to be paitent with it.

The biggest head ache with aluminum is getting the part clean. you will need to do a few 'out-gassing' sessions before applying powder.. or the oil in the pores of the part will burn off and cause bubbles in the powder... then you will need to strip the part and start over...
There are 3 diffrent types of powder... TGIC, Poly and Hybrid.. all have diffrent cure properties.

Over all PC'ing is pretty easy.. but very time consuming.... the valve cover in the pic took about 6 hours of work.. mirror chrome base and then candy translucent red finish followed by clear...

If you need any advice... u2u me...i'll be happy to share what i know..

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?