How can I prevent paint chipping around gas cap?

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Nov 2010 05:46 #412645 by Topper
I'm about to get my tank back from the paint shop with a fresh new paint job on it.

This is actually a second repaint because there were some pinholes in the tank I missed first go around. Had to get those fixed and am now getting it repainted again. (lesson learned)

One thing I noticed in the couple weeks that I had the bike back after the first paint job was that the paint around the opening in the gas tank had already started to chip away.

I tried real hard not to get gas on this part of the tank, but it didn't seem to matter.

I'm wondering if its normal for some chipping to occur in that spot or am I doing something wrong when filling the tank?

Is there some sort of tank gasket you can put over that hole to prevent this?

If at all possible I want to do whatever I can to protect the paint this time around.

Thanks!

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2010 06:29 #412650 by JMKZHI
What bike?

The tank on my 81 650 has a gasket that contacts the opening.
Also, the fuel cap hinge has o-rings & plastic washers where it attaches to the tank.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Nov 2010 07:24 #412656 by Topper
'88 KZ305 My gas cap has a gasket that seals the opening when the cap is closed.

What about when I'm filling the tank? Do I have to hold the fuel nozzel and not let it touch the sides like a game of Operation?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2010 07:28 #412657 by hocbj23
I had the guys who install plastic stone guard stuff on the front of cars and trucks put a wide strip of clear sheeting down the center of my tank to include around the gas cap.Protects my tank from my tank bag,errant hose nozzles and seat rub.bj

More
14 Nov 2010 19:32 #412823 by sarge383
helps not to paint the neck on the seal surface or inside edge

kz 650d2 sr 79

More
14 Nov 2010 19:45 #412824 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic How can I prevent paint chipping around gas cap?
I sand just the edge of the paint and the metal on the top of the filler hole then cover from the metal to the paint with J B Weld to keep gas from getting under the paint and it locks down the top edge of the paint.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Nov 2010 03:42 #412843 by Topper
What about using a product like red kote around the filler hole? Anyone tried that? Do you think it could go on over top of the paint or would I need to remove the paint first?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
15 Nov 2010 03:47 #412844 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic How can I prevent paint chipping around gas cap
I just talked to the guy that is going to clean and red cote my tank. He says he can do the tank stripped to bare or with a custom paint job.pm me if you need his contact info

More
15 Nov 2010 04:00 - 15 Nov 2010 04:30 #412846 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic How can I prevent paint chipping around gas cap?
The opening should be bare metal, that is how the Kawasaki factory did it. Just mask off the area that seals against the gasket before painting.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Last edit: 15 Nov 2010 04:30 by PaintWorkz.

More
15 Nov 2010 07:30 #412860 by JMKZHI
Since it's already painted, I guess you have several choices.
Go ahead & use it like it is - if it chips, it chips.
You could sand off the paint at the opening.
Or, this may be a pain, but you could use a plastic funnel when filling - a cheap homemade jobbie cut from a 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug would work.

More
15 Nov 2010 07:49 - 15 Nov 2010 07:50 #412864 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationTopper wrote:

...paint around the opening in the gas tank had already started to chip away...want to do whatever I can to protect the paint this time around....

Here's one option.

And the video in the following link might help, despite the distracting cleavage, but will probably need to watch it at least twice.:lol:

Click here > www.jpcycles.com/product/721-158?utm_sou...ducts&utm_medium=cse

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Nov 2010 07:50 by Patton.

More
15 Nov 2010 08:29 #412867 by Patton
Guessing many of us refuel while standing between pump and bike (on its side stand), without dragging hose over the bike.

I allow the nozzle to rest lightly against inside of tank fuel hole, and exercise extreme care during the final top-off, very slowly getting to about 90~95% filled, while paying strict attention to the rising level.

And hold other hand under nozzle while removing it from tank, as would rather wash hands than tank.

There is no banging whatever of nozzle against the tank opening.

Working for me, but always willing to learn better methods.

A funnel is okay, but for me often makes it more difficult to monitor the exact final filling. And I don't carry one along.

Might have once luckily filled a lawn mower tank using a funnel, without running it over.:cheer: But have about decided that over-filling lawnmower gas tanks is the proper time-honored way to do it, funnel or not. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD