1976 KZ900 Badges

More
05 Nov 2010 10:22 #410925 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic 1976 KZ900 Badges
No they are the originals with the posts....sorry if I mis-understood your question. I thought you were asking about the stripes.

I've read on here where some people use double-sided tape for their emblems with success.

Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2010 05:25 - 07 Nov 2010 05:32 #411440 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic 1976 KZ900 Badges
I had my tank and duck tail repainted awhile ago and the painter (Marl Wing, member here and excellant painter!) threw in a couple of painted side covers in the deal. The holes had been filled in by a previous owner. I wanted the emblems to sit flat on the cover and was worried that they would stick out with double sided tape so I took the emblems and snipped off the posts and lightly ran them on a belt sander to rough up the surface and provide a flat surface. I then measured and after knowing where the emblems were to be located on the side cover I masked off the area about a 1/4" inside the emblem shape and lightly sanded for good adherence. I then applied a thin layer (allowing for squishing out) of Permatex "The Right Stuff" to back of emblems. I then applied a couple various forms of weight to hold emblem flat to cover. I removed any that squished out while it was still soft and let it set for 24 hours. The results were great. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and this stuff is the best I've ever used, seals great and has excellant adhesion qualities!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 07 Nov 2010 05:32 by Bluemeanie. Reason: Can't get things right the first time! lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.