Sanding and primer

More
23 Jul 2010 07:15 #384870 by hotrodpuch
Sanding and primer was created by hotrodpuch
I just got my tank dipped and sealed at a radiator shop, so of course it stripped the paint off and it flash rusted. Now i need prep and primer it before the rust sets in. So I guess I need to sand or use steel wool to get the current rust off and for the primer to grip to.I have never done any of this before and I don't want to mess it up. What are the steps to doing this and also are there any suggested spray primer I should use. Any other tips would be appreciated it. I won't be getting it painted for a month or two yet. Thanks!

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2010 08:32 #384904 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Sanding and primer
Sand the rust off with 150 grit then you'll need an metal etching prim then primer filler.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
23 Jul 2010 10:19 #384926 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Sanding and primer
Yeah, what he said B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
23 Jul 2010 11:16 #384954 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Sanding and primer
There are a couple of good threads about tank painting on this site. give the search engine a whirl.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
23 Jul 2010 14:16 #384995 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Sanding and primer
Don't use steel wool because the particles embed and then rust themselves.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jul 2010 15:39 #385301 by kzbobber1
Replied by kzbobber1 on topic Sanding and primer
you need to get a metal cleaner. PPG makes one. You will wipe the tank down with it very well, this will remove all surface rust and neutralize any acids left from dipping the tank. If the tank is rough still then you want to sand it with 180 grit paper. You could use a self etch primer, but it is a waste of a step. I always use a Direct to metal primer. This gives you the adhesion that you need and the corrosion protection also. This primer is also a high build primer, which will fill all the 180 scratches. Get this in grey. Once it is dried, over night, give it a light dusting of black spray paint over the whole tank. Sand the tank with 400 grit first, you want to sand till almost all of the black spray paint is gone. Then go back with 600 grit over the whole tank again. The best way to sand with the 4 and 600 is wet, get a bucket. After you are done with that you can go straight to your base color or seal the tank if you would like. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I own a custom paint shop and am happy to help anyone with questions. Hope this helps.