Tank Rust

More
02 Jul 2010 18:19 #379782 by nicksorg
Tank Rust was created by nicksorg
The tank on my 82 GPz 750 appears to be in good shape with no holes or major rust. When I got the bike I put a small chain in the tank and used old gas I had to do a first cleaning. I'd like to clean it and take care of some of the rust before I start it again.

I have POR-15 marine clean and metal-ready from a prior project. I was thinking of using both and then risning out the tank with water and drying it without appying the sealer. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
02 Jul 2010 20:34 #379804 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Tank Rust
Sounds good, but if you rinse with water it will flash rust VERY quickly. Rinse it with gasoline, and slosh it around good, then dump it out. Make sure to do this and then fill it with gas and start using it right away, as any tank thats sits even with gas can rust fairly easily.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
12 Jul 2010 01:39 #381899 by nicksorg
Replied by nicksorg on topic Tank Rust
The Marine Clean and Metal-ready did a decent job, but I still had alot of surface rust after adding gas back in and running the bike for the first time on the rebuilt carbs. After some research on the site, I decided to clean the tank again. Here's what I did:

- Drained the gas.
- Removed the tank hardware.
- Cleaned with power purple and rinsed.
- Put a rubber stopper in the fill hole.
- Filled the tank with Muriatic acid and a little water.
- I moved mix back and forth and let it sit for awhile on different sides of the tank. This step removed alot of the rust.

- Added baking soda to the tank to neutralize the acid and drained it.
- Rinsed with water several times.
- Repeated the steps above with phosphoric acid.

At this point the inside of the tank looked great. However there were still some spots of rust on the fill neck and along the bottom seems as seen from the top fill hole. I decided to repeat the entire process above. When I got to the rinse before the phosphoric solution, I decided to try using my power washer to remove some of the hard to reach rust spots I just mentioned. My tank is in good structural condition so I thought it wouldn't hurt. Using my flat/wide attachement, I hit the tank with the power washer from the top fill hole, and it worked perfectly. Once I finished, I used compressed air to dry out the inside and immediately filled the tank with fresh gas. I ran a little gas out of the petcock and its flowing nice and clear.
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2