Engine cases powdercoat?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2010 19:26 #364327 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
Nice job on that bike :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2010 19:29 #364329 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
powder coating scares me on anything that cant be removed to have recoated easily B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Apr 2010 20:54 #364346 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
I thought that powder coating the head and cylinders of an aircooled bike was supposed to be a bad idea. From what I have heard, the powdercoating serves as an insulator, thus trapping heat in the motor. I have no experience with this, but I have heard that it will lead to a bike that runs hot. As for the cases, I don't think that it would do too much harm. However, I second the thought of not doing it on a 73 Z1. That stuff is a bitch to remove, and if I was shopping for the bike to do an original resto, then I would seriously devalue the bike because of this. OTOH, you have owned the bike for 37 years. Are you gonna sell it now? Do what you want, but I wouldn't powdercoat them myself.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
30 Apr 2010 07:22 #364401 by lewisj
Replied by lewisj on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
No, I'm not selling it . It's still my baby, too many memories there.

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

Vance&Hines header/ exhaust
29mm smoothbores w/pods
ZR7S 41mm Front Forks with 17" wheels

More
30 Apr 2010 11:16 #364449 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
sure you can!
here's mine after powdercoat.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Attachments:

More
01 May 2010 23:21 #364894 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
For removing powder coating, buy a gallon of the dissolver/stripper. It will eat it off and leave bare metal. Otherwise it will take forever with a wire wheel. Even a poorly applied coating like my brake lever got took hours to clean off. I tried propane torch, a scraper, and finally a wire wheel. I didn't have the stripper so that was out of the question at the time.

Kawasaki Man, those cases look good.

As for trapping heat, highly unlikely as it is bonded to the surface and is not much of an insulator. However, you can check the constants of aluminum and PC to be sure on the heat transfer qualities.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
02 May 2010 06:38 - 02 May 2010 07:23 #364928 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
kawsakiman wrote:

sure you can!
here's mine after powdercoat.

Looking FINE! :cheer:

What about jugs and head? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 May 2010 07:23 by Patton.

More
02 May 2010 06:43 #364930 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
KawiConvert wrote:

For removing powder coating, buy a gallon of the dissolver/stripper. It will eat it off and leave bare metal....

Where is the dissolver/stripper available? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 May 2010 07:06 #364933 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
KawiConvert wrote:

As for trapping heat, highly unlikely as it is bonded to the surface and is not much of an insulator. However, you can check the constants of aluminum and PC to be sure on the heat transfer qualities.

A quick search on thermal conductivity yeilded this website: www.finishing.com/244/25.shtml

Looks like the powdercoat is substantially less conductive of heat than aluminium. Now this is just an internet find from some random person of unknown qualifications. We all know that what you find on the internet must be true. Now the amount of insulation it provides is minimal due to the thickness that the coating is applied, but for those who ride in the heat, it may be a consideration. As I said before, I have zero real world experince with this, and I don't plan on finding out. FWIW, I think that it looks killer on engine cases, but I live in Houston and I'm not taking chances on overheating.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
02 May 2010 19:59 #365104 by KawiConvert
Patton wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

For removing powder coating, buy a gallon of the dissolver/stripper. It will eat it off and leave bare metal....

Where is the dissolver/stripper available? :unsure:

www.eastwood.com/ew-powdercoat-and-paint-dissolver-quart.html

I've never used it, but I've had good luck with what I have purchased from them in the past.

More
02 May 2010 20:00 #365105 by KawiConvert
testarossa wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

A quick search on thermal conductivity yeilded this website: www.finishing.com/244/25.shtml

Looks like the powdercoat is substantially less conductive of heat than aluminium. Now this is just an internet find from some random person of unknown qualifications. We all know that what you find on the internet must be true. Now the amount of insulation it provides is minimal due to the thickness that the coating is applied, but for those who ride in the heat, it may be a consideration. As I said before, I have zero real world experince with this, and I don't plan on finding out. FWIW, I think that it looks killer on engine cases, but I live in Houston and I'm not taking chances on overheating.

I'm in the desert where we don't have that nice humidity to help transfer heat to/from the engine depending on which is hotter. Which is one of the reason's I'm installing an oil cooler. Better safe than sorry.

More
03 May 2010 18:49 - 03 May 2010 18:52 #365318 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Engine cases powdercoat?
Think we are splitting hairs here. If Kawasaki painted their engines cases on the z1r and MK II black and whatever the stuff they used is still adhering to those fins and cases thirty years later I would think that there is no real worries. My friends z1r engine has 86000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Of course if the coating is really thick I am sure it wouldn't be a great thing to do but my cases I can tell you for sure are coated properly and the coating is thin. But do what you like. I paid to have mine done right and it was expensive.
I personally think the engines look great all aluminum as long as they are spiffy clean but the coating of black is so much easier to clean and look nice but it kinda hides the engine for my tastes a bit. Keeping up with all the cleaning when bikes get riddin so much is quite a chore. Black has to be much easier to clean if you ask me.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 03 May 2010 18:52 by saxjonz.