best way to self strip a frames paint??

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
22 Jan 2010 05:31 #343894 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
Old Man Rock wrote:

Just hit me, there is one other way.... Heating torch!
No joke, it will burn/blow paint off... Used it in the welding fields many times to clean paint off pipes before welding.... Of course you'll still have some clean up, wire brush, wet sand etc... but it did work....

Now, damn it, why didn't I think about that when I was doing my frame... What an old douche I am..... :blush: And I had to strip my down 3 times due to shiza PJ1 frame paint chipping.... DOH!

NOTE: I said heating torch, not cutting! :angry: :blink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Even a decent heat gun will do it too, heat it till it blisters and scrape it off with a putty knife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Jan 2010 06:58 #343906 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
I just went through this last month. Try a drill for some of it then sandblast the rest. Here is the sandblaster I used 30 bucks at the Home Depot a few years ago, and the gun I used for sodablasting

After paint

My polishing tools. I converted my bench grinder to a polisher too

The bag of soda and gun from Harbor Freight

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
22 Jan 2010 07:06 - 22 Jan 2010 07:08 #343909 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
"bag of soda and gun from Harbor Freight"....
I Luv HB, kid in a candy store....

Kaw, did the gun/soda ash work well?
Did they offer other mediums (sand/bead/nut shell etc...)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 07:08 by Old Man Rock.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Jan 2010 10:28 #343939 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
so far i like that idea...home depot and H.B are ,close and i can keep the investment/tools to boot....i wonder if my little compressor will be able to keep up if i do small bursts...or if small bursts will let the equipment get purged and up and spraying...i wanna avoid getting another compressor for now at least...p.s ..mine came with a little baking soda siphon spray gun dealy too......

what grit sand ?

where do i get sand ect....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 10:42 #343940 by Kawickrice
Old Man Rock wrote:

"bag of soda and gun from Harbor Freight"....
I Luv HB, kid in a candy store....

Kaw, did the gun/soda ash work well?
Did they offer other mediums (sand/bead/nut shell etc...)

The soda woks well on the aluminum before polishing, and cleaning the carb bodys. One of the few products that HF sells thats made in USA, Arm n Hammer soda for blasting. They sell other mediums to

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 10:57 #343942 by Kawickrice
trianglelaguna wrote:

so far i like that idea...home depot and H.B are ,close and i can keep the investment/tools to boot....i wonder if my little compressor will be able to keep up if i do small bursts...or if small bursts will let the equipment get purged and up and spraying...i wanna avoid getting another compressor for now at least...p.s ..mine came with a little baking soda siphon spray gun dealy too......

what grit sand ?

where do i get sand ect....

I do not have a big compressor either, I had to let it catch up. Since I was doing a frame swap I had plenty to do while it was pumping up. I would start polishing some parts then blast some parts and just kept switching back and forth so I stayed busy and most was completed at the same time. Worked good because blasting and polishing suck. As far as sand I used beach sand from the beach. I would take five or six drywall buckets and fill them up, I had a screen that would sift out any debris and leave only clean sand. Since my blaster has no cabinet I loose 100% of the media. I tried bags of play sand but had to much moisture and would clog. Any sand will work but the trick is dry sand. I loaned my blaster to a friend so he could blast a lawn tractor and he sifted sand from his backyard. Florida has sand for soil so it is in abundance here. I used sand on the steel and soda on the aluminum

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
22 Jan 2010 11:26 #343944 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
DA sander with some 80 grit pads, or even some aircraft stripper. I did a 69 Chevy truck with aircraft stripper, but it wouldn't take off the base coat, which I had to use a DA sander for that. If you use aircraft stripper just make sure you are in the shade so it can do its job and not dry out too fast by the sun. I also have a small Craftsman sand blaster and you can buy some no 4 or 5 sand at the hardware stores for sandblasting.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 12:22 - 22 Jan 2010 18:25 #343952 by trianglelaguna
o.k cool....we are just getting done with a week of good rain and thunder storms ...and i wanna take some retrievers to the ocean sat and sunday and beach scavange after the huge surf....jade..and funky stuff all churned up.....but saturday i wanna drag the frame out and get some before pics....our sand here is broken ground shells and rocks....beautiful stuff but not gonna be good for a blaster...plus the enviroment granola girls would have their way with me if they saw me carrying bucketts of their earth godess away.....hmmmm maybe worth it to meet a few treehugger girls....anyhow...pics and tool shoping posted by saturday....thanks guys this is gonna be a good start to getting this rust neutralized and getting the 73 back to a rolling project at least...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 18:25 by trianglelaguna.

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 12:57 #343961 by Kawickrice
trianglelaguna wrote:

..plus the enviroment granola girls would have their way with me if they saw me carrying bucketts of their earth godess away.....hmmmm maybe worth it to meet a few treehugger girls..

Only in California :laugh: :laugh:
Harbour Freight sells bags of different grade sand for your blasting

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
22 Jan 2010 20:24 - 22 Jan 2010 20:26 #344030 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
If you're gonna blast with a real small compressor you can buy yourself some time if you build a reserve tank. I have an extra 20 gal. tank for mine. ( My comp makes 12 cfm at 90 psi but only has an 11 gal tank. Go figure.) But a cheap way to up your reserve is with 3 or 4 inch pvc Just buy 2 sticks with reducing caps to neck each end down to 1 inch. then you need a couple feet of the one inch pvc, four 90's and two 1 inch slip by 1/2 female pipe thread by 1 inch tees. you may need a reducer to accept a quick connect. Use a hose in, and and out, and bingo! a cheap portable, reusable auxillary tank. I really wish I knew how to use paint or something to draw this up and post, but if you've done much carpentry or plumbing I'm sure you can visualize it. If not, I guess I can learn something new. (Ouch!)
Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 20:26 by jjdwoodman. Reason: it didn't even make sense to me

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 20:37 - 22 Jan 2010 20:39 #344031 by trianglelaguna
you guy's are gonna love the compressor i bought....i'll post a pic....it is so much perfect for what i need ...little...perfect for a bench and tires,ratchets and such...came with all the goodies and some.....but it is like an old school extinguisher in size...but hey i got a pin nailer and soda tool and gadgets and hoses and...it was like 70 new.....
i got a feeling i'm buying a compressor as well as a blaster and sand and stuff....oh well

hey what is the ideal primer to use for first sealer and rust stopper...or am i gonna just use a rustoleum primer ...i want to not have a softer product under my final paint coats right....or...will i be able to just shoot my frame all in one good quality gloss .......and yes i am gonna paint it myself ,with rattle products.....what is the best...i know it's been in other threads 300 times....but repeat for effect please....

i am not worried about scratching when i put the motor in...i'm a giant remember...the motor feels light to me.....:)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 20:39 by trianglelaguna.

More
22 Jan 2010 22:58 #344038 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic best way to self strip a frames paint??
rustuleum rusty metal primer.lay the motor on its side and bolt empty frame to it B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.