Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?

• twowheeledterror
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2006 22:59 #34354 by twowheeledterror
Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!? was created by twowheeledterror
I can't believe that on this entire internerd we have at our disposal there isn't one site that lists paint codes for our bikes.

Anyhow, I need the paint code from the 1977 KZ650B's "Candy Emerald Green".

If anyone has it I would be thankful. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2006 13:52 #34474 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
www.cyclefinish.net

www.color-rite.com/

i have seen these 2 places mentioned in a number of (archive)older threads. The threads talked about Kawi doing multiple layers to get colors...good luck

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
26 Mar 2006 20:11 #34583 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
If your paint is not too faded you can take it to an automotive paint store, they have a device called a color eye, this is a camera type thing that takes pictures of the color and gives a paint code for it

More
26 Mar 2006 20:49 #34596 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
I heard on this site that Kawasaki has not released the paint codes for the KZ/Z series. I emailed Color-Rite and they said they did not have paint codes too.

I found a site dealing in H2 Triples, and here is a link to their paint identification. The link shows the three layer paint sequence.

www.project-h2.com/works/ws_gp16e.html

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
27 Mar 2006 05:57 #34641 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
2whl terror

There are no paint codes available that mean anything to the people that mix paint at the paint store. Since this is a Candy color the computer eye method at the paint store will not give you a good match, it does not understand old school candy colors, it only spits out metallic car color formulas. I have the color charts from the out of business Lubri-Tech company, which was the factory recommended touch up paint back then for your bike. I will let you know the color names for the different color coats and what off the shelf custom paints you can use. Look at the Project H2 site mentioned in other reply to undertand how candy colors are applied, it is very helpful.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
27 Mar 2006 06:58 #34651 by KL250
Replied by KL250 on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
I'm tellin ya 69 camaro rally green is pretty close, and it's a awesome color. Who really cares if it isn't an exact match.

More
27 Mar 2006 07:31 #34657 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
PaintWorkz wrote:

2whl terror

There are no paint codes available that mean anything to the people that mix paint at the paint store. Since this is a Candy color the computer eye method at the paint store will not give you a good match, it does not understand old school candy colors, it only spits out metallic car color formulas. I have the color charts from the out of business Lubri-Tech company, which was the factory recommended touch up paint back then for your bike. I will let you know the color names for the different color coats and what off the shelf custom paints you can use. Look at the Project H2 site mentioned in other reply to undertand how candy colors are applied, it is very helpful.

PaintWorkz,
This color chart and the appropriate "new" colors would be of interest to everyone here. Could I beg you to maybe write an article about this, and send it to Stein to be posted in our article sections? I would very much like to repaint my 650, but it has to be "as close to original" as I can find.

Kent

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
31 Mar 2006 06:51 #35706 by PaintWorkz
2 wheel

According to the Lubri-Tech color chart the 77 650 green is a two color paint process using a Light grey metallic base coat and a Candy green top coat. I have never studied this color but you need an unfaded area of an original part for a referrence when spraying it or spraying any candy color if you are looking to match it. You can use any brand of Candy color, they all have a green candy. But if you use House of Kolor for example, you would use their silver base coat and add some black to it to get the light gray metallic base coat, and use their Kandy Organic Green for the top coat.

Kent

I will scan the Lubri-Tech pages for Kawasakis and post them on this site.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
31 Mar 2006 06:51 #35707 by PaintWorkz
2 wheel

According to the Lubri-Tech color chart the 77 650 green is a two color paint process using a Light grey metallic base coat and a Candy green top coat. I have never studied this color but you need an unfaded area of an original part for a referrence when spraying it or spraying any candy color if you are looking to match it. You can use any brand of Candy color, they all have a green candy. But if you use House of Kolor for example, you would use their silver base coat and add some black to it to get the light gray metallic base coat, and use their Kandy Organic Green for the top coat.

Kent

I will scan the Lubri-Tech pages for Kawasakis and post them on this site.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
27 Jun 2006 15:32 #57582 by AlWalker
Replied by AlWalker on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
Ralph!,

Fancy "meeting" you here!

I was just surfing thru some sites and came
across this one.

Registered - and lo and behold - I see posts
from you too!

Glad to see you giving info out to others on
paint schemes for these old classics.

Anyone else reads this - I Highly recommend
Ralph for your Old Kaw paint needs! Full
disclosure - I only know him thru Ebay and my
subsequent purchase of (Very Nice!) rehabbed/
painted tank/side covers/tail section for my
1975 Candy Blue rebuild!
www.paintworkz.com/

Good Luck!
Al

More
28 Jun 2006 10:25 #57757 by PaintWorkz
Hey Al,

How is the restoration project coming along? Remember to get me some photos of your bike when it is finished. Kent posted a Paint Information Word document here for me you might find interesting. It is under KZ Information - Files - Non Model Specific and it has all the old Lubri-Tech color charts from 73 to 78.

RP

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
26 Jul 2006 10:30 #64877 by Mp3z24
Replied by Mp3z24 on topic Paint Code for Candy Emerald Green?!?
yeah, i realize this thread is a few months old, but i wanted to chime in anyway.

im currently repainting my 77 650. yes, it was the emerald green metallic. it was painted over twice when i got it, once black, and once orange. both paint jobs were pretty subpar and needed to be un-done.

while stripping the paint on the tail and side covers, i did see exactly what kent (PaintWorkz) indicated for the layering. there was a gray base coat and a metallic green top coat. the tank has not been stripped yet because the bottom of the tank still has areas of original paint. i used this as my comparison for the colors i tested on some scrap MDF.

while i would love get a proper paint setup, it is pretty unlikely, so im stuck with rattle cans... i tried a couple colors from duplicolor, with varying satisfaction.

Cayman Green Metallic - not dark enough. kinda looked like it has a blue tint.
Deep Jewel Metallic - a bit too dark, but a lot closer to the original color. not a lot of metallic flake.
Green Metalspeck (NOT metalcast) - VERY close to the original color, could be a bit darker though. lots of metallic bits.

all those colors were sprayed over the duplicolor gray primer. bottom line, unless i can get someone to color match the original metallic paint from the bottom of the tank, it looks like the green metalspeck is the winner.

anyone have a suggestion for CHEAP colormatching?

~mike

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000
1977 Kawasaki KZ650 (for sale soon)
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1974 Honda CB450