My body and tank before the paint..Just proud

More
27 May 2009 15:48 #294432 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud
Well if you must paint, I'm happy you did the KZ900 anyway. Good luck.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 18:32 #294473 by harm
I think we are still waiting for pics from kzmarvo, the one who started this post.:)

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
27 May 2009 18:43 - 27 May 2009 18:46 #294478 by arai59
Long live the rattle can army and their slew of friends ! Nothing like a plastic curtain in the garage with boots and shoes holding the bottom from the wind. If only Monet would have liked veggies..........:laugh:

Viva Duplicolor !
Last edit: 27 May 2009 18:46 by arai59.

More
27 May 2009 18:48 - 27 May 2009 18:52 #294484 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud
Still gotta wet sand and clear and buff but you get what it will look like. As always the sunlight makes it TALK...lol Whatcha guys think?:unsure:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2009 18:52 by kzmarvo.

More
27 May 2009 18:55 #294485 by arai59
Your going to wet sand before you clear ? Why if I might ask ? BTW........looks good.

More
27 May 2009 19:09 #294491 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud
So get the edges down,cany paint i had to pile up the flames a bit, i always do and the paint always looks 10 feet deep and wet when done....

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
27 May 2009 19:13 #294494 by kano

More
27 May 2009 20:16 #294517 by arai59
kzmarvo wrote:

So get the edges down,cany paint i had to pile up the flames a bit, i always do and the paint always looks 10 feet deep and wet when done....

Looks like a pearl white. You know if you sand on a pearl or metallic you will mar the finish. If you clear coat over scratched paint like pearls or metallics you'll see it through the clear. You can only do this if you use solid colors.

More
28 May 2009 05:31 #294583 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud

Long live the rattle can army and their slew of friends !

Now Gregg, I as well as the others realize you do this for a living but sometimes there's something more to accomplishing ourselves than paying someone else to do it for us...

Example, re-building/re-storing these 30 year old KZ's.... How many mechanics/motor builders out there are scoffing "Long live the garage mechanic".... How much of your ride do you do yourself versus sending out to have others do for you.... I think you catch my drift... ;)

In my case, There where only two items that I didn't do myself... Cylinder boring/honing & the Head valve/P&P job... Obviously I don't have a bore machine, how many of us do.... As for the head work, too much can go wrong and after researching into all the tools required to do it correctly, just wasn't worth it...

Sometimes you just have to pay the $$$ and let the professionals handle it for if the garage mechanic screws it up, it's done...

In paint, if it comes out like crap, well hell sand down and start over.... You screw up a cylinder/head, very little you can do about it pending the severity of the screw up...

Now if I had a 1973 perfectly restored Z1... Oh hell ya, professional paint & pin stripe job for sure... No Dupli Color on that one ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
28 May 2009 05:47 #294587 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud
i think greg actually had some good info on this one! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
28 May 2009 12:36 #294656 by arai59
Old Man Rock wrote:

Long live the rattle can army and their slew of friends !

Now Gregg, I as well as the others realize you do this for a living but sometimes there's something more to accomplishing ourselves than paying someone else to do it for us...

Example, re-building/re-storing these 30 year old KZ's.... How many mechanics/motor builders out there are scoffing "Long live the garage mechanic".... How much of your ride do you do yourself versus sending out to have others do for you.... I think you catch my drift... ;)

In my case, There where only two items that I didn't do myself... Cylinder boring/honing & the Head valve/P&P job... Obviously I don't have a bore machine, how many of us do.... As for the head work, too much can go wrong and after researching into all the tools required to do it correctly, just wasn't worth it...

Sometimes you just have to pay the $$$ and let the professionals handle it for if the garage mechanic screws it up, it's done...

In paint, if it comes out like crap, well hell sand down and start over.... You screw up a cylinder/head, very little you can do about it pending the severity of the screw up...

Now if I had a 1973 perfectly restored Z1... Oh hell ya, professional paint & pin stripe job for sure... No Dupli Color on that one ;)

OMR

Now Dave.........I do all my work myself except head and cylinder work too. I leave that to the machinist. Everything else I handle. Catch my drift ? I don't discredit anyone trying to do something for themselves. Heck........I encourage it. However, as you mentioned also........there are limits as to durability from rattle cans. BTW........you'll really apprecieate it when some idiot brings you his parts and wants them done. Ever seen a side cover with 20 coats of Dupli color or Krylon on them ? Catch my drift ? Sometimes in the best of interest....folks tend to complicate their problems. I was only asking a question about a method he was going to do and hopefully give him a little knowledge as to what could happen. Oh well can't win them all........guess I'll sit back and chuckle. You know.........Ron has made excellent points about this. Like it or not he has a valid point.

More
28 May 2009 12:48 #294658 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic My body and tank before the paint..Just proud
To me it is a matter of cost. I'll leave professional jobs to professionals. As they years pile up I find that as long as I can justify the professional price I will go that route. I enjoy tinkering with machines but I am no mechanic. I have rattlecanned a paintjob and I have had a pro do 'em too. Ari does nice professional work. That green rattle paint looks good too. With some carefulness it will go a few years. I like the flame job too but I see the badges mounts are still there and not filled in. I can sort of see where the tank badges might be OK but The side cover badges would interfere with the flame design in my opinion. I guess what I'm saying is if I was to do a flame job I think I would fill the mounts in and not badge it. But that is my opinion only. The paint job looks pretty durn nice anyway you look at it. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"