Handlebar mods

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2008 17:34 #217492 by AnxiousCowboy
Handlebar mods was created by AnxiousCowboy
I just bought a 1980 KZ440ltd and it's in great shape. I would love to fix it up a bit, so I've been looking at different parts for it.

Does anyone have a bike like mine with different handlebars? I'm not sure what kind I would want to get, if any. Seeing others would make the decision a lot easier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2008 17:50 - 04 Dec 2008 06:35 #217496 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:35 by JMKZHI.

More
02 Jun 2008 19:51 #217522 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Handlebar mods
Cheap Euro bars from ebay. Z1 Enterprizes sells them too. They work well, I like them better than the LTD bars I had.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
02 Jun 2008 20:25 #217528 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Handlebar mods
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that this bike had turn signals mounted on the handlebars. I hate that, as a matter of preference. I mounted the lights on stems and installed them on the headlight mount, a factory location on other bikes but not the LTD. It is pretty eazy to do and makes the bars look a lot cleaner. If I recall the rubber mounts that were in the headlight bracket could accept the plastic sleeve on the turn signal stems, so it looks factory when your done.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
04 Jun 2008 11:51 #217871 by NickW900LTD
Replied by NickW900LTD on topic Handlebar mods
i have superbike bars on both of my kz's. It makes the bike handle alot better. Body weight distrubution is much better allowing to take turns better.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA

More
04 Jun 2008 19:17 #217978 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Handlebar mods
I assume that the bar-mounted lights on kz650 sr would need to be stem mounted to fit on the superbike bars?

Also (and this seems dumb) I'm looking at my master cylinder, and trying to figure out if it will work on the new bars. Any hint?

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
04 Jun 2008 19:39 #217984 by ZER
Replied by ZER on topic Handlebar mods
I have drag bars on mine, and like JMKZHI said be aware of the Brake caliper, but not only to keep it level, but make sure the bars are long enough!

I had to keep my Tachometer OFF because my bars were too short even with removing the turn signals. Problem was the fitting that comes out of the master cylinder was still in the way.

I am lengthening my handlebars during this rebuild to fix the problem.

Michigan Yooper
1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive,(drag bars, smoothed side covers, shaved seat, pod filters, bar end mirrors) 1981 KZ440 LTD (parts bike)

More
04 Jun 2008 20:13 #217991 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Handlebar mods
Dude, i like the yellow frame! different..

More
06 Jun 2008 16:54 #218426 by ZER
Replied by ZER on topic Handlebar mods
violentvintagecycles wrote:

Dude, i like the yellow frame! different..

It's on it's way out...
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&id=207902&catid=11

Michigan Yooper
1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive,(drag bars, smoothed side covers, shaved seat, pod filters, bar end mirrors) 1981 KZ440 LTD (parts bike)

• MikePotter86
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
15 Jun 2008 13:54 #220184 by MikePotter86
Replied by MikePotter86 on topic Handlebar mods
Superbike bars are great. I did this conversion a few weeks ago on my LTD. No trouble fitting the MC or anything, but the turn signals had to be moved to the headlight.
I know a lot of people use brackets to mount theres, but I found some short stems from a 73 Z1 and they fit like a dream, you have to ground the signal inside the headlight somewhere, and remove plastic flanges from stems. I then used a bench grinder to remove the texturing under the flanges, and the new stems fit right where the headlight bolts were, it looks great, and I couldn't be happier with it now.

Other issues youw ill need to address, sooner or later, are a shorter clutch cable, and throttle cable, which I ordered from Motion pro, also, the new bars will not have an alignment pinhole in them, so you will either need to drill one, or remove the pin and use shims to tighten the throttle and killswitch assembly, I would recommend drilling.

Longer mirrors will also be needed, or bar end mirrors, as you will only be able to see yourself in the old ones.

Best of Luck,
Email me for pictures, will have them thursday.
MicPotte@indiana.edu

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/

More
15 Jun 2008 17:02 #220212 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Handlebar mods

Superbike bars are great

I second that. A few weeks back I switched from the stock bars to drag bars on the 650, but didn't like the riding position. I found a set of black superbike bars from a Canadian distributer (Motovan), and love 'em. A nice median between the stock and drag bars, everything fit well with a little re-routing of cables etc.. Just have to find what works for you. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
04 Nov 2013 00:24 #612001 by soundlessroar
Replied by soundlessroar on topic Handlebar mods
Since this was 5 1/2 years ago, can you share what you ened up doing about swapping out the pull-back handlebars for something else. Do you have any photos?
thx.

soundlessroar
1980 KZ440 Ltd