Removing paint from plastic body parts ?

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 Mar 2008 14:10 - 20 Mar 2008 15:39 #201226 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
Qdude wrote:

You are either single, or sneaky;) ,
OR I want to meet your wife's sister if she has any.

I slept on the couch for putting my tank in the dryer (wedged with towels with steel bb's in it tumbling to remove rust).

Why aren't women more impressed with our ingenuity?

Married 20 years. B)

You just gotta learn how to treat them right so they don't mind letting you get away with shennanigans now and then. ;)

Oh, and BTW, I also did the tank in the dryer. :woohoo:

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 15:39 by Skyman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2008 14:14 #201227 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
B) I used Easy Off oven cleaner on plastic models in the past worked great Not sure if it will work on factory paint though.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
20 Mar 2008 17:33 #201255 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
Qdude wrote:

You are either single, or sneaky;) ,
OR I want to meet your wife's sister if she has any.

I slept on the couch for putting my tank in the dryer (wedged with towels with steel bb's in it tumbling to remove rust).

Why aren't women more impressed with our ingenuity?

lol Qdude I saw that coming. My mom would have beat me over the head with the end of her broom until the stick broke had I tried that with her dryer. Thankful for not having our own when I had to clean mine out or I woulda done that too. My luck would have been that the acid would somehow thanks to Murphy leaked out and screwed up the dryer and then the broom handle would have been the least of my worries. Hope you aren't banished to the couch for long.
I do my thing however I like the only trade off is that sometimes its like a social security check you get some but not nearly enough to get by on.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
20 Mar 2008 18:32 - 20 Mar 2008 18:36 #201266 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
saxjonz wrote:
[quote... My luck would have been that the acid would somehow thanks to Murphy leaked out and screwed up the dryer....[/quote]

Just a reminder that the dryer-tumble method is with no heat and a completely DRY fuel tank with nothing inside the tank but the metallic roughage such as b-b's, nuts, bolts, chain, etc.

The idea is to pack the tank inside the dryer with pillows, cushions, blankets, etc., so the tank itself is wedged firmly in position and can't bounce around while the dryer is running. The metal roughage does all the work inside the tank by flailing around and knocking off the internal rust as the tank revolves in its fixed position inside the dryer.

This is completely harmless to the dryer. And involves less wear and tear to the dryer than a normal clothes drying cycle or so. If she doesn't believe you, just tell her I said so and it'll be all right. :cheer:

Good Luck with the settlement arrangements! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 18:36 by Patton.