Removing paint from plastic body parts ?

More
19 Mar 2008 15:32 #201044 by mjg15
Is sanding the only good way ? I'm afraid of incompatibility of the new and old materials . I would like to start from bare plastic if possible . Any tricks ? Thanks .

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 15:39 #201047 by jrjstuff
Replied by jrjstuff on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
Its been my experience that any type of remover has a detramental effect on the plastic, and i am sure you dont want that. I just got done sanding my side covers down to the plastic. Then you know the drill.... primer, sand, primer, sand......... prep is key!! Good luck!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
19 Mar 2008 15:53 #201050 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
jrjstuff wrote:

Its been my experience that any type of remover has a detramental effect on the plastic, and i am sure you dont want that. I just got done sanding my side covers down to the plastic. Then you know the drill.... primer, sand, primer, sand......... prep is key!! Good luck!

I concur:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
19 Mar 2008 16:05 #201054 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
That's what I thought I would hear . No big deal , there really isn't that much plastic on these old bikes anyway .

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

More
19 Mar 2008 21:07 #201109 by baldtire
Replied by baldtire on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
i just used some "citristrip" ,on some sidecovers
i tried it on the back overnight and it just dulled the plastic shine a little

More
19 Mar 2008 23:15 #201122 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
You can try brake fluid but you must make sure that the parts are totally cleansed of the fluid before painting or your paint will be ruined.

I just painted over my factory covers with lacquer and no problems so far. If I could get by with that, I'm sure you will be fine. This old paint is very stable by now. I will say that I did strip the tank and yes it was a pain in the butt.

1978 KZ650C

More
20 Mar 2008 00:43 #201141 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
I used a wheel on the pin striping that was clogging up the sandpaper on the orbital sander. Made really ugly furrows in the plastic. Oh well. For the side covers I will just stick to the sand paper and change it often for those damn gummy stripes.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
20 Mar 2008 01:15 #201142 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
sharp blade:

scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape

Abrasive drywall pad:

scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff

Comet Cleanser, Barkeeps Friend, or Finishing Compound and a kitchen sponge:

buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff buff

Get it?

More
20 Mar 2008 07:54 #201163 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
I just scuffed them up w/rough sandpaper, to give the primer something to hold on to, then used a "filler primer". Then sand(medium), reprime, sand,...etc until defects were smooth, then came painting/clearcoat.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
20 Mar 2008 08:37 #201173 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
Qdude wrote:

I used a wheel on the pin striping that was clogging up the sandpaper on the orbital sander. Made really ugly furrows in the plastic. Oh well. For the side covers I will just stick to the sand paper and change it often for those damn gummy stripes.

Try a hair dryer on the pin stripes to heat up the adhesive backing and make the old pin stripes less brittle, then carefully peel up an edge of one and pull it off. It will probably break several times but this method worked best for me.

1978 KZ650C

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 Mar 2008 08:49 - 20 Mar 2008 08:50 #201176 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
I used brake fluid on a pair of side covers. It worked well for removing the ugly laquer paint that the PO had applied. It also removed the factory pin stripes that the the PO painted over. :blink:

Soaked it in a brake fluid bath overnight, and in the morning, everything just slid right off.

It did not do much to the underlying factory paint. Maybe dulled it a little.

Afterwards, I cleaned them up real good, then ran them through the dishwasher. Worked quite well.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 08:50 by Skyman.

More
20 Mar 2008 12:23 #201201 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Removing paint from plastic body parts ?
You are either single, or sneaky;) ,
OR I want to meet your wife's sister if she has any.

I slept on the couch for putting my tank in the dryer (wedged with towels with steel bb's in it tumbling to remove rust).

Why aren't women more impressed with our ingenuity?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you