Paint Job on the Cheap

More
01 Dec 2007 22:04 #183453 by EasyRider1
Paint Job on the Cheap was created by EasyRider1
Ok, I recently purchased a KZ440 which has a crappy looking gas tank. I have been thinking about options for a cheap, do it yourself paint job. I know that a rattle can job will likely look bad within a short amount of time so I guess that's out.

So my next idea was to use some of the gloss black POR-15 paint/sealer. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work or would be dangerous or cause problems with a gas tank?

1978 KZ650C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2007 22:37 #183458 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
The rattle-can jobs can be done quite well; they won't pass for show quality, but I've seen (and done) some work that is "worthy". Sherman-Williams just came out with a rattle-can that is supposed to be on par with anything. Haven't tried it myself, but I have heard from experts in the industry (body shop guys) that the stuff has impressed even them. That'd be my suggestion. A simple single color with plain old pin-stripes always looked good on the little 400/440s.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
02 Dec 2007 03:12 #183472 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
Last winter I painted my car using Tremclad, a roller, a brush and an occasional spray can to get the hard to reach areas! I guarantee you that you wouldn't know unless I told you otherwise. The key to any paint job is in the wet sanding and polishing. I'll be using the same technique this winter to paint my 650. Here are a couple of pics of the car.

Tremclad Gloss Black on Roof:

Tremclad Gloss White on Body:

Showing reflection of Jordan poster on garage wall:

Post edited by: HerrDeacon, at: 2007/12/02 06:14

More
02 Dec 2007 06:40 #183483 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
That paint job was done with a roller and paint brush???????????????????????

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Dec 2007 06:52 #183487 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
Wait for it. :whistle:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
02 Dec 2007 12:46 #183525 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
Bluemeanie wrote:

That paint job was done with a roller and paint brush???????????????????????

Yup :) I did use a rattle can for some of the spots that were too hard to get to or too small for the polisher to reach, but the rest is done with a roller and brush. It was all done for less than $150 (paint, rollers, brushes, mineral spirits, sand paper, and polish). It was the most liberating experience. I'm no longer worried about my paint, I can fix it up anytime at very minimal cost.

The reason I painted it myself this way is because I had the rear end painted to fix some rust and the "professional job" was brutal. I swore I would never let anyone else touch it again.

More
02 Dec 2007 14:09 #183529 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Wait for it. :whistle:

ha-ha
:P

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
02 Dec 2007 16:46 #183561 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
HerrDeacon,

You must have read about the guy who wrote about this method on the Mopar forum?

I want to try it on a bike tank I have and see how it holds up, especially around gas. Tremclad is only sold in Canada, but it's made by Rustoleum.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
02 Dec 2007 17:57 #183587 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
HerrDeacon,

That is truly amazing what you've done there. How much wet sanding did you do?

I ended up doing a spray can job today on my tank. I think it's going to come out pretty nice.

I also got some CLR and BB's and cleaned out the rusty inside of my tank (before painting).

I jumped the gun last night and ordered some (expensive) POR-15 Blackcote. I have a spare tank in the mail so maybe I'll try it on that one.

Post edited by: EasyRider1, at: 2007/12/02 21:01

1978 KZ650C

More
02 Dec 2007 18:20 #183593 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
I did my bike using the roller method as well. However, I used the brightside paint. It has held up well when I spilled gas on it. Based on all I've read on the mopar forum I'm confident that it will last for a good while.

I'll see if I can post a picture for you a bit later.

Post edited by: Little B, at: 2007/12/02 21:21

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
02 Dec 2007 18:23 #183596 by turpehar
Replied by turpehar on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
My .02

1. Can we all agree that preparation before the paint is crucial to the final outcome?
2. Can we all agree that the cost of aforementioned no matter what paint method you use will be the same?
3. Can we all agree that when you get to the place where you're ready to paint that the hard part is done?
4. Do we have an air compressor? No? Can we borrow one?
5. Do we have access to, or can we buy an $80 paint gun?
6. Would it be easier to sand once after painting urethane single stage or mulitple times between coats of Tremclad?

I know, some of you are PO'd off by now, but that isn't my intention. I have tought people to do paint and body work. About %10 just don't have it in them to lay down paint from a spray gun. Of that %10, one in ten can't do much at all without screwing it up. The other nine are just impatient.

My point is that YOU should not be afraid to try the so-thought-to-be taboo art of spraying paint from a gun. The white Nissan looks good, I do agree and will take nothing from the gentleman who did the work on it.

More
02 Dec 2007 19:14 #183604 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Paint Job on the Cheap
I agree, turpehar. What really makes a difference in the final outcome is the care taken during prep. Patience, as you said, is just as important. I'll see if I can apply those when my time comes.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950