Paint or Powdercoat frame?

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
26 Jul 2007 23:03 #159996 by oldkaws4ever
Paint or Powdercoat frame? was created by oldkaws4ever
im leaning towards powdercoating the frame because of the durability and the heat resistance. Does anybody have any experiences with powdercoat? thanks

Post edited by: oldkaws4ever, at: 2007/07/27 02:04

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 23:49 #159997 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
ive had a lot of stuff powder coated,its pretty tough stuff but im kinda leary about doing a frame since its really hard to fix if you screw it up;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Jul 2007 01:02 #160000 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
Doing it yourself or having someone do it?

If you want to set yourself up for powerdercoating....look up the equipment before you buy it. I played around with a setup I got on ebay and finally gave up on getting a good finish. A friend of mine who bought a better setup on eBay is having much better results. Great results, as a matter of fact. Far better than I ever got from my paint and cure.

Man, if you get good equipment and a good curing environment, that stuff seems like the way to go!

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
27 Jul 2007 20:24 #160197 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
For frames powdercoating is the way to go.....you will never have to worry about it fading or chipping. Remember to cover up any threaded ports as the powder will add a thickness and you will have to tap out the threads again.

More
15 Jan 2008 07:01 #189389 by timmac59
Replied by timmac59 on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
I just got a quote on powdercoating for $175 for the color orange, IS THAT REASONABLE?? that isnt include sandblasting, i got a quote on the for $50... so that doesnt seem too bad..

More
15 Jan 2008 08:00 #189400 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
That is a bit on the high side. Powdercoating a frame requires also removing all your bearings... steering neck and swingarm, etc. The heat will ruin the old bearings. You also need to make double sure that the shop doesn't get powder in where the new bearings will be installed because you will have to GRIND IT OUT if they do. Last set of rims I had powdercoated had the bearing race surfaces powdercoated and it was a PAIN to remove. The powdercoat IS worth the extra money and effort since it holds up much better. It isn't really practical to powdercoat a frame yourself as the powder must be baked at 400 degrees in an oven and it isn't likely a do-it-yourselfer would have an over you could get a frame into.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 Jan 2008 08:36 #189406 by jagrider
Replied by jagrider on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
Powdercoating can came out really nice I had a few peaces dun but a pain to repaint, I bought a kit and big toaster over and did some small parts. But my frame I use Por 15/20 paints for a few years car frames to engine blocks brakes and a lot more al so tank line kits to. You can check my frame in the pics look up jagrider in kzrider.

powder coating a company i use before, after i bought a kit and big toaster over and learn to do it my self.

www.eastcoastpowdercoating.com/MotorcyclePrices.htm

Paint for rust frames and more.
www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=8

Post edited by: jagrider, at: 2008/01/15 11:40

Loud pipes save lives.

More
15 Jan 2008 15:47 #189466 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
My dragbike frame and swingarm is powder-coated and it is tuff stuff, BUT...is also has a few nicks in it and it can't be "fixed" and as of yet, I haven't been able to find any way of getting it off. If you need to weld or modify parts in any way, you will mess up the coating. If I could remove it, I would so I can paint it. You can redo the finish if need be then. Powder-coating looks great but be sure you have done any and all modifications BEFORE you powder-coat. If you have the frame done and are going to leave it alone, powder-coating looks great and lasts a long time with minimal, if any, upkeep except to wash it. Just don't do anything to chip it, etc. as it can't be redone like you can with paint.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
21 Jan 2008 18:51 #190412 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
Powder coating the frame is a great way to go. I had mine done professionally at a local shop. I paid $90.30 to powder coat the frame, foot peg mounts, swing arm, and side stand. I had to bring the stuff in somewhat clean but they do all the prep. A good shop will plug all the holes that have threads. You will probably still have to run them with a tap. Make sure they don't coat areas like the steering stem bearing space. It takes some work to get the powder coat out of places you don't want it. If you have one of the white frame labels on the steering stem, it will probably look brown after the final coat. Even with protection, mine looked OK after the primer coat bake, but turned brown in the final coat bake. I ended up sanding it off and spray painting over the spot. It's probably best to just have them blast it off during prep and powder coat that area. You still have the frame numbers stamped in the head. I don't know if that's OK with the law on newer bikes though.

I am thinking about getting my engine covers powder coated now. I still question if that's a good option for those. I see issues like oil out gassing, fading, and heat dissipation.

More
29 Jan 2008 20:33 #191768 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
I owned my one PC shop when I lived in GA. I charged $250 a frame. I required all bearing races to be removed prior to media blasting.

That price included sand blasting and taping off and plugging of key elements like the where the bearing races belong in and the swingarm bolt, tapped mounting points, etc.

You will lose the factory ID tag on the stem, and if they do their job right, the VIN stamped on the stem will be readable when done properly.

My 2cents of advise... If the shop wants to charge you for each step of the process, like the powder, the media blasting, the tape, the plugs, etc. I'd find a different shop, because it's apparent that they haven't figured all of that into their cost to do the job with an "out-the-door" price.

And when in doubt, make sure you tell them exactly what you want masked off, be specific and make sure its written down on the receipt/work order.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
30 Jan 2008 15:46 #191873 by Craz1
Replied by Craz1 on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
Good shops here in florida will get around $250.00 for them...It is the only way to go in my opinion.

More
30 Jan 2008 16:03 #191877 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Paint or Powdercoat frame?
Powder coating is the way to go! Here is a pic of a members (dutchz) bike, swingarm, etc.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments: