Different seat for 79 kz 750

More
15 Jul 2007 20:48 #157043 by corbis02
Different seat for 79 kz 750 was created by corbis02
I'm new here, I've owned my kz for 3 years, but I really want to convert it to more of a cruiser style bike. I hope this isn't blasphemy! :P Maybe all you experts can give me some tips, or ideas on where to find parts, I am especially looking for a seat that is much more "mustang seat" style. I drilled 4 holes in both of the baffles, and I like the sound, but I almost want to remove them completely. Anyone out there done this kind of conversion? What can I do to make it sit lower to the ground, and what about the bulky instruments and long rearview mirors? Any recomendations? I know, frineds say "uhhh.... buy a different bike?" But, I like my KZ, I like the speed, and look of the tank, and handlebars, I just want to modify it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Seth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2007 14:37 #157224 by corbis02
Replied by corbis02 on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
Would this seat fit? How do you even figure out something like a seat without having it there to look at it? I'm such a newbie to all this. Thanks for any and all advice guys!

29 inches long, 14 1/2 inches wide

Seth
Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2007 14:45 #157227 by corbis02
Or maybe this one? :laugh: I have no idea what I'm doing! This one has no dimensions.
Attachments:

More
19 Jul 2007 21:16 #158163 by GPzDave2
Replied by GPzDave2 on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
:ohmy: blasphemy!

More
22 Jul 2007 20:32 #158778 by corbis02
:(

More
23 Jul 2007 13:16 #158947 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
GPzDave2 wrote:

:ohmy: blasphemy!

im pretty sure he is joking but i dont know what seats will fit

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
23 Jul 2007 14:04 #158960 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
I'm doubting it, without some work. Do you have the original pan? You could just reform and recover.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
23 Jul 2007 22:37 #159113 by corbis02
yeah, the seat and everything is still there and intact, except for a couple rips, but I guess I really wanted to change the seat altogether, more width for my big a##, and for the seat itself to be not so tall or "thick" so I wouldn't sit so high. What I have pictured in my mind is to delete the plastic piece directly behind the seat that the tailight is mounted to, and the little chrome bar, and then mount a new style tailight on the rear fender... make any sense? I noticed the last time I looked up under that piece with the tailight mounted to it that the whole frame of the bike seems to extend up under that... I guess taking that piece off would expose the frame there? I'm such a newbie to all this. I have worked on cars before, never really any customizing, and I have remodeled our whole house... but those are different animals. I guess I'm a little more skitish about just jumping into it and taking things apart.... I've never welded or really worked with metal at all...

oh, and I figured he was kidding, although as a new guy I almost expected to be ignored for my ignorance! :laugh:

More
24 Jul 2007 08:19 #159176 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
Show us some pix of the undersides of the seats, and of the top side of the frame where the seats will sit. You have to match up the hinges, where the rubber pads ride on the frame, etc.

More
25 Jul 2007 17:02 #159630 by GPzDave2
Replied by GPzDave2 on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
If you end up getting a new seat I would be interested in your old one...;)

More
25 Jul 2007 17:15 #159635 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Different seat for 79 kz 750
Take a look at my 83 750. I believe the first seat you showed is the same as what I have.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2727
also as far as the mufflers go I managed to squeeze on a set off of a 2000 HD dyna. With all the HD guys switching them out immediatly upon bike purchase you can pick them up for next to nothing. bore out the innards on them and you will have a better looking better sounding bike in no time for not much $$$
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2726
Post edited by: Wildh2oskier, at: 2007/07/25 20:18

Post edited by: Wildh2oskier, at: 2007/07/25 20:19

More
25 Jul 2007 22:07 #159723 by corbis02
yes, thank you guys so much, that is the kind of thing I have been searching the internet for the last couple months. I knew someone out there had to have done what I envisioned. The seat and removing the tailight thing, and mounting the brakelight on the fender that picture is almost what I had in mind. I was hoping to figure out a way to basically get the rear part of the seat to sit right on the fender.... would that be able to suport the weight? I might not even make it so that it's hinged, just hard mounted, a couple screws or bolts to get at the battery wouldn't be too bad.... I will post some pics as soon as I can. Thank you guys so much for the input keep it coming! :cheer: