Kreem Gone Wrong

More
28 Jun 2007 18:19 #153516 by peachc
Kreem Gone Wrong was created by peachc
Well, I knew that the previous owner of my CSR1000 had done Kreem, but I got a pleasant balloon in my gas tank tonight when I went to fill it up. My question is what have you guys seen to be the best way to get ride of this stuff? I have never used this and never would, but I need to get it out as it is blocking fuel and is creating an awful mess in my tank. Any help would be great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
28 Jun 2007 18:31 #153519 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
Dont take this wrong But get another tank .. Or Boil it out but that will do the outside paint in too .. I have seen Cream go wrong more than right ,, it is all about the prep work before using it ;) ;)

More
28 Jun 2007 19:00 #153524 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
i read this post first and then followed my own personal questions up by trying to find more kreem posts in the forum archives and read one long post about a fellow botching chemical wash after chemical wash. that got tiring after a while...

he was going to just do the three step kreem product but some of the members eventually talked him out of it, instead suggesting he just keep it full of gas all the time so that way the tank cant rust up.

i plan on doing this kreem three step product myself (with a little more thought going towards the chem-washes) and then finally the tank lining. one of the members in the mentioned post said that kreem isnt a bad thing so long as you dont f*ck up and leave the kreem in there so it cant create thick goopy problems. doesnt anyone agree with this? id personally rather not have to worry about keeping my tank full all the time and those long storages in my iowa climate. maybe im missing something, but doesnt the kreem liner just act as a barrier so air cant get to the metal, thus creating rust? how are filters and jet needles and all these things going wrong then? does the kreem break down over time? is the gas eating it?

hmmm hmmm hmmmm

More
28 Jun 2007 19:27 #153532 by Mute
Replied by Mute on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
I detest kreem. Maybe its cause I never done it right, but I think I di a couple times at least.

Ive been hearing a lot of good things about red-kote, the stuff they use to fix radiators.

More
28 Jun 2007 19:29 #153533 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
Kreem works just fine. If your tank is rusty, even if you keep it full 365 days a year you're going to have problems. The main problem with Kreem is it's 3 step process. Step #1 etching the tank is the first problem. First you add their bottle of acid which is what? all of 8 oz or so. Mixed with a couple gallons of water this is not going to clean most rusty tanks. You can get muriatic acid or phospheric acid at a hardware store or somewhere that caters to swimming pools. Buy a couple gallons and use it all and fill the tank to the brim with what additional water is needed. Let sit long enough to ensure all rust is gone, then use Kreem step #2 which works fine. Now you add the Kreem sealer and turn your tank every which way to make sure all surfaces are coated, then let the tank sit for whatever they specify like 15 minutes then repeat. Let the tank sit again. This is where problems will begin to crop up as if you continue this much longer you'll find the Kreem has hardened enough that it is no longer liquid enough to drain, so you have a big 1/4" mess of plastic on one area of the tank. So the best way is to only coat the tank once or twice then promptly drain the Kreem out while it is still very liguid. You may not have that nice white look inside the tank, but who cares? The white turns to yellow anyway and all you need is a thin layer to seal the tank from rust and that's what you'll have. Kreem can be removed with Acetone or MEK, but it will take quite a bit of work. Put a lot in there and keep swishing around, it will eventually remove the Kreem. No fun.

Post edited by: RonKZ650, at: 2007/06/28 22:31

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Jun 2007 20:27 #153542 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
If I recall, the POR-15 folks have a chemical that is supposed to "remove failed sealer" applications--presumably Kreem.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
29 Jun 2007 11:19 #153639 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
I kreemed my tank 16 years ago and haven't had any problems. It has turned a yellowish-brown, which I'm not crazy about, but no real problems. Since I plan to repaint this summer, I am considering a complete strip (inside and out). I would then like to re-coat the inside (probably with kreem, maybe red-kote) just to make it look nicer since I'm painting it anyway.

I have read quite a bit about stripping and the use of Methylene Chloride seems to be unanimous. I have also read that you can buy it at Home Depot (methylene chloride). Keep us posted on your decision. Good Luck.

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
30 Jun 2007 16:40 #153952 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
Yes the POR-15 has a lining remover.....all it is paint remover. It will though idsolve the Kreem enough to flush it out.

More
30 Jun 2007 17:15 #153965 by clone5
Replied by clone5 on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
Maybe the Kreem website has a FAQ on how to remove the product. Since people are inherently lazy, tank prep is usually insufficient for proper Kreem applications. There must be more failed applications than not.

They make more money if they had sold a remover too.

More
30 Jun 2007 17:18 #153966 by clone5
Replied by clone5 on topic Kreem Gone Wrong
As far as I can tell from cruizing around the sob stories, acetone is something that gets rid of Kreem.

Can't hurt anyway !?!