fuel proof rattle can clearcoat

More
23 Jun 2007 12:20 #152096 by Leather
fuel proof rattle can clearcoat was created by Leather
Took a notion I had and stopped by my auto paint supplier place.. and asked the guys behind the counter if any one made a rattle can clearcoat that was fuel proof. The guy said sure! Went and showed me this can of stuff Called: Dupont Acrylic Clear A-7480S Trim and Jam Clear. Was explained to me that it was a new product and was the same sort of hardness as the stuff used on the car from the factory. Hmmm.... Now I'm here asking those of you with more experience with paint ,whether this stuff is ok to use.
I was also told that there is a 2 part clear by Everkote that you get in a rattle can, with a hardener in it. that the can comes with a part inside the can you some how break and it then is shaken up to mix and will harden in side the can if you dont use it up! But that it was sure nuff' fuel proof. Now I'm wondering if its so "hot " as to rip ol rattle can base colors to shreds!
Ay one have any experience with eithr product?

Post edited by: Leather, at: 2007/06/24 00:59

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2007 12:42 #152109 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
Duplicolor found in checkers auto is fuel and oil proof and I got proof!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
23 Jun 2007 16:42 #152162 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
Leather and kzwofsr: I know nothing about your new stuff, but I disagree that the duplicolor is fuel proof. I used it on my KZ750E tank and covers (clear over bright silver, all duplicolor), and the fuel has caused multiple stains and shadings, even when washed off immediately. I bought some of the duplicolor mag wheel paint, since I have heard that it is better than the usual duplicolor paint, but I haven't tried it yet.

I look forward to the response from others here.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
24 Jun 2007 12:15 #152329 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
I have been careful with mine so far and I gave it about 3 or 4 coats so I haven't seen anything yet.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
24 Jun 2007 18:28 #152408 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
time tells all............

More
24 Jun 2007 21:29 #152459 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
My green is Duplicolor engine enamel. Last wednesday I topped up my tank knowing I was going to be out riding for a while. When I came back to the bike after paying I saw a guy push an old Yamaha into the gas station. I rode over to see if he needed a hand - genuine real rat bike - broken clutch cable - and got talking for a while. The gas expanded and poured down the side of my relatively new paint job. Didn't touch it, let it dry in the sun and the paint stayed intact! You can slightly see where the gas ran down the side and that can probably be polished out. Never seen spray can paint stand up like that.

More
25 Jun 2007 07:32 #152533 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
Well Fossil Did you have a clear coat over that engine paint?

Also I have been listening to quite a few people about the yellowing of rattle can clears after a few years. And this was what drove me to ask the paint supplier about what products were out there that were like the stuff used in cars. And whether there was a rattle can able to take the abuse, of fuel and sunlight/UV. This dupont produce was what he recomended. And the Everkote produce was mentioned as one with even MORE hardner in it. I would think that the more hardner you had in a paint the better it resisted fuel? Yes? no?:unsure:

More
13 Sep 2007 08:04 #170341 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
Leather,
Did you buy the Dupont product and try it yet?

Kent

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Sep 2007 17:32 #170410 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
You want BASF aka R-M clear in a rattle can. The one you want is actually two part you puncture the hardener vile inside the can by pressing a button on the bottom shake it and spray it. However it is only good for a couple of hours. You can sand it buff it pour gas over it:evil: :evil: and it won't effect it AT ALL!!

The door jamb aka cut in clear also made by basf will burn like a b!@#$% and you won't get the gloss either and it doesn't have the ultra violet protection because it is meant for areas it wont be exposed to direct sunlight or fuels.

You can expect to pay around $40.00 but is well worth it and it has a great fan spray nozzle.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
13 Sep 2007 17:53 #170414 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
i painted the top of my tank when i first got the bike with duplicolor color changing paint and the gas smeared the clear with one drop.

any paint without a hardener is crap, however the cans with the hardener installed is good, theres actually a company (i lost the brochure) that makes cans that you can have the distributor fill with whatever base /clear of their brand you want.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
13 Sep 2007 18:24 #170418 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic fuel proof rattle can clearcoat
Sprayed the 650 with three coats clear over all rattle can paint, all from Wally World.

I've overfilled the tank on several occasions since, and have had no adverse effects... perhaps some base colors just show it up worse? I have had several flakes, though, and can't vouch for how long it will hold up, this is just a cheap experiment before I spend the big bucks this winter.;)

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager