KZ650-B3 Saddlemen Seat Cover Install

More
22 Jun 2007 18:53 #151894 by jamesjp
KZ650-B3 Saddlemen Seat Cover Install was created by jamesjp
Greetings. I’m in need of some help from you all. I have a ’79 KZ650-B3 and recently purchased a seat cover from saddlemen.com. It’s a pretty close match for what the original used to look like. I’m using the cover as complete replacement for the original since it’s gotten pretty ratty through the year. My question is, does anyone have any hints for installing these things? It’s just not fitting right. I measured both old and new covers and they seem to be nearly the same size but yeah… it’s not working. The new cover has like an extra half inch all the way around for trim, but I’m afraid to undo it since I’m not sure if it’ll mess up the rest of the stitching. Would maybe cutting off/electric sanding a layer off of the foam maybe improve my situation? Anyhelp is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2007 21:59 #152236 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic KZ650-B3 Saddlemen Seat Cover Install
I just installed the same brand of cover last week. I removed and disguarded the original cover. I put the new cover on, centered it on the seat, tied the included string real tight, smoothened and stretched the cover by hand for a while, installed the passenger hand grip strap, folded the cover under the seat edge and attached it to the hooks all the way around the seat. Fits just fine and looks great by me.

If you find that the seat material is to long to hook properly... is it possible that your seat foam has shrunk with time? If so, have you considered putting a spacer between the seat foam and the seat pan to reduce the extra material enough to attach to the teeth?

Best of success!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/06/24 01:01

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.