Need some sanding help

More
08 Jun 2007 10:25 #147503 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Need some sanding help
I have done body work before on my F-150(first f-o-r-d and my last)

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/06/08 13:50

If there is paint and I want to paint over I just go over with 180 wraped around a paint stick. The 180 will cut the paint down straight. Basically you are using the paint as a filler for the little dings thats what I did to my truck. Dont use 320 it will contour to the curves alredy and you will end up a wavy finish.

First off when ever sanding do NOT use your palm USE a flat surface, I use a paint stick.

If you are going down to bare metal get a two part epoxy primer and spray all bare metal. Dont put bondo over metal it will condensate due to the heat of the bondo and create moisture, and you wont see it till your done:pinch: . Use 150 to etch the surface before you put on filler. After filler has been applied you must cut the filler down wit 80 grit to were you want it. This will establish straightness, DONT use lighter grit you will endup compounding the problem. If you sand to much add more filler. Then repeat with 80. After you have established lines and straightness go over with icing if you have any air pockets. Cut that down with 80 or 100. Next you will need to get rid of the sanding lines. Go over entire surface with 180, this will cut it also but at a lighter degree. With 180 you can establish round surface and curves you desire. After that go over with etching primer, give it a healthy dose. Next ever so slightly mist a can of flat black over the entire surface. Let it dry. Now for the finishing mirror base for paint with no flaws. Get out some 320 and sand the black misted on paint. When the surface is clear of all black paint you are ready to wash the surface with light deturgent. Let dry. Put sealer on(base for paint) then imeadiatly hit it with a dusting of you favorite color. then clear. After dry for a couple days. Wet sand clear coat ever so lightly with 1000 and buff with polisher and compuond. I use 3M finess it on a wool pad. after the finess, clean with water thuroughly. Next dry and then use a polishing compound, I use perfect-it 111 on a foam pad.
B)

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/06/08 14:21
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 11:22 #147537 by Snakebyte
Another pic

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/06/08 14:25
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2007 11:28 #147542 by Snakebyte
pic

The strips are in Velvet dy wich means that when the paint cures it is a fabric like.:blink: B)

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/06/08 14:30
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2007 22:20 #147703 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Need some sanding help
You know what's wrong with a Ford? Ford knows, they circle it and highlight it in blue.:woohoo: :lol: :woohoo: :lol:
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
12 Jun 2007 05:07 #148617 by Snakebyte
:laugh: Yep a chrome circle :laugh: