Need some sanding help

More
10 May 2007 01:18 #138776 by pollocksn
Need some sanding help was created by pollocksn
Ok fellas I am about ready to sand down all of my body pieces and get them ready for paint. I have never done anything like this before so I dont know how to even start. I am going to have my brother shoot it for me (he cusomizes private jets) He lives about three hours away so I need to get all this done by myself before he comes up. What grit do I start with do you have any tips? All of the pieces are good with no cracks so I will not need to do any filler or dent work. Do I just sand it down to the bare metal? Any help will be appreciated!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2007 06:24 - 03 Dec 2008 11:03 #138831 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:03 by JMKZHI.

More
10 May 2007 06:42 #138836 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Need some sanding help
Go to the thread at the top of the Paint&Bodywork forum list -- How to: paint you bike. It'll probably answer most of your questions.

Good luck on your paint job!:)

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 06:45 #138839 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Need some sanding help
Depends on how trick you want to get.

Sanding to achieve what would otherwise be known as *quality* results - especially over previous paint is literally an art form in itself. The reason is that breaking through a paint edge automatically forms a low spot that requires a technique known as "feathering" to prevent low spots, ripples and washboarding from appearing in any primer/paint layers that are applied over it.

Without some previous experience, it's doubtful that short of sanding a tank to bare metal will produce satisfactory results. And trying to sand original paint to bare metal is gonna take awhile, regardless.

A much quicker solution is to hunt down an amiable radiator shop - one that boils truck cores - and pay them $5 or $10 to have them put it in their lye tank for awhile. Comes out bare metal and clean as a whistle. Scuff with #400 paper an prime away.

Sidecovers and 'tails are more problematic - same paint, more fragile substrate. Taking them down to raw plastic can be done with chemical strippers and a great deal of care, but I don't think that's an option here. Likewise - for the above-mentioned problems associated with arriving at an even surface, it's pretty easy to wind up with a wavy-gravy set of plastic.

The quickest and probably cleanest solution in your case would be to remove all badges/emblems and sand the covers/tail *carefully* with #400 wet until you achieve a uniform, totally sanded appearance. Apply a couple of *DRY* shot coats of primer, re-sand with #400 wet, then re-prime and let your brother take it from there.

JMK has a point, however - if your brother's experienced, it might save headaches and heartaches to have him handle the job from the get-go. ;)

More
10 May 2007 10:52 #138932 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic Need some sanding help
Well I really wanted to do it myself so I could learn something. I knew I could ask him but his schedule and mine are opposite so it is hard to get ahold of him. Plus, he lives in another state. I already have a tracy body on the bike and I dont like it so im going to go back to the stock body. I is not a big deal if this takes me awhile. I have a feeling this going to take me a lot longer than I thought and give me some headaches along the way. Oh well this is why I bought the bike, to play around and try to learn stuff. Thanks for the tips

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 11:17 #138943 by Pterosaur
pollocksn wrote:

Well I really wanted to do it myself so I could learn something.

A noble enough goal, however...

I have a feeling this going to take me a lot longer than I thought and give me some headaches along the way...

To be sure. ;)

The purpose here is not not be outright discouraging, but rather realistic; there's a reason why it often takes years to become a decent - and skilled - paint/body combo guy - there's a *LOT* to know and it's the type of knowledge that isn't easily discernable by text alone - as regards paint and bodywork, there's no substitute for experience - and gaining experience dictates learning from mistakes.

Oh well this is why I bought the bike, to play around and try to learn stuff. Thanks for the tips

Stick around - there *might* ve a series in the works on the topic. ;)

More
10 May 2007 13:27 #138970 by pollocksn
Well I had been waiting on the tank to get here and it got here today. I was really surprised with how it looks. It is almost flawless just one tiny nick on it. I was wondering if there is anyway that you guys know of as to match the paint that is already on the tank? If I could just repaint the side covers and tailpiece to match that might be easier. If not oh well. Also any paint choice tips? I know that black will show every little imperfection in the paint. Is there any colors that tend to not highlight little blemishes?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 13:39 #138971 by Pterosaur
pollocksn wrote:

Well I had been waiting on the tank to get here and it got here today. I was really surprised with how it looks. It is almost flawless just one tiny nick on it....

Some pics of the tank would definitely help. ;)

Not sure exactly what color(s) are needed - some are less difficult to *wing it* on than others. Older Kaw paint codes are problematic, because they're not readily available in either pre-mixed or as mixing formulas. Some specialty shops - such as Paintworkz - a member here have gone to some trouble to match older Kaw colors as closely as possible - but I'm not sure about availability.

Definitely, if the original paint is in even *good* condition, it's worth saving...

Wait a minute! Wait! Do I hear the patter of RonKZ dancing a jig somewhere? :P

Also any paint choice tips? I know that black will show every little imperfection in the paint. Is there any colors that tend to not highlight little blemishes?

For hiding multitudes of sins, lighter, non-metallic shades are best - white, yellow, arrest-me-reds, some lighter blues. As you go darker, contrast becomes an issue. ;)
Attachments:

More
10 May 2007 13:49 #138976 by pollocksn
I will try and get some pics up later today

More
10 May 2007 20:52 #139090 by pollocksn

Here are some pics of the tank. It looks almost blue in the pics but it is actually dark green. I am not sure if it is the original paint or not.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
10 May 2007 21:05 #139095 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Need some sanding help
I don't ever recall seeing that shade of green on a 650 before.
And there isn't any pin stripping on it, which IIRC all the 650's came with.

Still, it's not a bad looking paint job or color. B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 May 2007 15:24 #139252 by pollocksn
yeah I really dont think that it is stock. There are not any emblems on it either. So far I have the tail piece and the side covers sanded down. The side covers have been primed. I was going to get to the tailpiece then it started raining. I had to bring all the stuff that I put outside back inside. Maybe when this rain stops I can get to it.:)