needs some help

More
07 Apr 2007 16:45 #127490 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic needs some help
pollocksn:

To answer your question...that was not a factory option for the 650's but may have been a dealer option (and there is no way to verify those). You have a very rare item...either keep it on the bike, archive it, or if you go back to original bodywork, don't let it go cheap!

I am not aware of another one for a 650/750, but I have seen a number for 900/1000's.:woohoo: :woohoo:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2007 17:51 #127509 by Voodoosoup
Replied by Voodoosoup on topic needs some help
There was one if those for sale on E-bay last year.
I believe it was unpainted and still in the original box.

Do you have a pic with it on the bike?

Looks pretty neat.

Post edited by: Voodoosoup, at: 2007/04/07 20:52

More
07 Apr 2007 18:55 #127530 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic needs some help
Yeah so I guess I have an interesting item here. I dont have a pic of it on the bike yet. I still have some tinkering to do to get it running again. I charge the old battery until till I buy a new one. The carbs need to be cleaned and then there is the tank issue. The inside of the tank has so much crap floating around in it it was scary. Ill get a pic of the old gas I drained out. I would like to use this since I have it but I have been checking around for panels and a new tank. My question is how does one clean out a fiberglass tank? Correct me if im wrong but since it is fiberglass I should be able to just use water to get it good and flushed out right? The fiberglass is solid thru out but the tank cap and the flange is screws on too is a bit rusty. The stuff that was floating around in it looks like a lining that is starting to deterorate. Is there anyway of fixing it? Well im off to go start tinkering again thanks for all the answers so far! I will get some more pics up so you guys can see it on the bike.

Oh and the rear is not chopped, who would do that?

More
07 Apr 2007 20:11 #127555 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic needs some help
looks like a tracy body to me.
willing to trade mint candy red bodywork for it :evil:
there were a few made for the 650's.
one guy i know has one in his garage and is just being a unreasonable jerk since he won't sell it to me.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
08 Apr 2007 09:02 #127670 by pollocksn
well kawsakiman I am not sure what im gonna do yet as far as the body goes. I would like to try and fix this one up and use it. I like the idea of having a bike that is unique. I still dont know how to seal the inside of the tank I will have to do some research first. If I do decide to go the other way with it I will let you know. I have been trying to find other bodys like this to see what they go for but I have not found any yet. So does anyone have an idea of how much this thing is worth? Everyone keeps calling it a tracy body but me being the clueless guy I am have no idea what that or who that is. So if someone could fill me in that would be great.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
08 Apr 2007 09:59 #127684 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic needs some help
Welcome to KZr pollocksn.

That is most definately a Tracy Body Kit that you have, which I wasn't even aware of being available for the KZ650.

Tracy Body Kits, fairings, seats, fenders, etc were offered in the late 70's/early 80's, but the company that manufactured them (Tracy Body Works IIRC) are now out of business.

There aren't a whole lot of the body kits left out there, so you certainly have soemthing that is rare, and valuable to the right person.
They're an odd looking body kit for sure, and the basic concensus is that you either love or hate how they look.

If it were me, I'd get a set of original bodywork and "restore" that Tracy kit so that I'd have a diff look for my bike should I get a wild hair and want my bike to REALLY stand out in a crowd of the current plastic crotch rockets. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
08 Apr 2007 10:28 #127693 by pollocksn
Well things are looking good for my birthday tomorrow:) I bought this bike as a early b-day present to myself and now I am really glad I did. I like your idea of having two bodies for it RetroRiceRocketRider. I think im gonna piee together a regular body for it and keep this one for now. I would like to get it completely restored just have not figured out how to do the inside of the tank. The rest of it is pretty straight just needs to be worked over on the tail end from where it looks like someone added flush mount turn signals at some point. Well ill keep you guys posted on how it turns out. I have another one for you gurus of KZs. My turn signals dont flash they come on but no blinky blinky. I cant think of the name of the part that does this so if someone knows could ya fill me in. Oh and thnks everyone this forum has been a big help!