Seeking bearings for wheel swap. Custom GSXR front end....

More
04 Dec 2006 19:25 #97486 by caffcruiser
If anyone can find these (or give me a lead on a place that might have them) I would be greatly appreciative.

What I need is two wheel bearings. 40mm O.D. X 25mm I.D. (bore) X 12mm thickness.

I am building some custom 17" 40 spoke wheels for the bike. I'm running the KZ650 front hub, and the KZ1000 rear hub. GSXR forks (2002 750) on the front and a 2005 Yamaha R6 rear end.

The bearings are the right spec to run the KZ650 front hub (o.d.) and the GSXR front axle (i.d.).

I'm gonna need to find the same stuff for the rear end as soon as I get my rear axle and get the measurements.

***Any other ideas on how to go about this swap would be greatly appreciated too. I'm kinda considering using a custom made front/rear axle maybe. That way I can run stock bearings on the bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2006 19:39 #97493 by Sandy
I'll check My loacal Auto-Parts store in the a.m.,BudB)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 20:05 #97500 by wireman
caffcruiser wrote:

If anyone can find these (or give me a lead on a place that might have them) I would be greatly appreciative.

What I need is two wheel bearings. 40mm O.D. X 25mm I.D. (bore) X 12mm thickness.

I am building some custom 17" 40 spoke wheels for the bike. I'm running the KZ650 front hub, and the KZ1000 rear hub. GSXR forks (2002 750) on the front and a 2005 Yamaha R6 rear end.

The bearings are the right spec to run the KZ650 front hub (o.d.) and the GSXR front axle (i.d.).

I'm gonna need to find the same stuff for the rear end as soon as I get my rear axle and get the measurements.

***Any other ideas on how to go about this swap would be greatly appreciated too. I'm kinda considering using a custom made front/rear axle maybe. That way I can run stock bearings on the bike.

im guessing the gsxr front axle is larger than the which would make it dificult to run stock kzbearings without making bushings for forks to make up the differance in smaller axle.is there enough material in the hub to bore it to the od of the stock suzuki bearing?;)

More
04 Dec 2006 20:27 #97505 by caffcruiser
wireman wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

im guessing the gsxr front axle is larger than the which would make it dificult to run stock kzbearings without making bushings for forks to make up the differance in smaller axle.is there enough material in the hub to bore it to the od of the stock suzuki bearing?;)

I'll look into the boring idea.

The part about running the stock bearings was if I had some custom axles turned. ;)

Here's a diagram. The orange part of the axle is the part that would be built to KZ specs. The diameter would be made to go through the KZ wheel bearings. The red parts would be made to fit the GSXR axle retensions on the forks. These could also be made to be part of the spacer system that would hold the KZ hub centered.

More
04 Dec 2006 20:40 #97509 by caffcruiser
Ok, forget the bearings.

I had the wrong specs for the GSXR's.

The stock GSXR are 25x52x15. There'd be nothing left if you bored the hub, and there's a very slim chance of finding 25x40x12's anywhere.

Looks like the front and rear are gonna need custom axles turned.

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
04 Dec 2006 21:41 #97515 by scumbag
well that figured it self out real quick...kustom it is...haha..sweet!!!

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 08:31 #97589 by wireman
caffcruiser wrote:

wireman wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

I'll look into the boring idea.

The part about running the stock bearings was if I had some custom axles turned. ;)

Here's a diagram. The orange part of the axle is the part that would be built to KZ specs. The diameter would be made to go through the KZ wheel bearings. The red parts would be made to fit the GSXR axle retensions on the forks. These could also be made to be part of the spacer system that would hold the KZ hub centered.

yeah that looks like the stock kawasaki design there,cool i like the looks of wire wheels myself over mags;)

More
05 Dec 2006 10:45 #97609 by wiredgeorge
Look in a phone book for a store that specializes in bearings. The bearings you need will be referred to as electric motor bearings. Give them the dimensions and see what turns up...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Dec 2006 12:11 #97631 by caffcruiser

wireman wrote:
yeah that looks like the stock kawasaki design there,cool i like the looks of wire wheels myself over mags;)

Agreed 100%. Especially when they are 40 spoke 17's with a 5.5" rear rim. ;) :cheer:

More
05 Dec 2006 12:13 #97632 by caffcruiser
wiredgeorge wrote:

Look in a phone book for a store that specializes in bearings. The bearings you need will be referred to as electric motor bearings. Give them the dimensions and see what turns up...

Will definitely give that a shot.

I found 25mm ID by 47mm OD bearings. Lots of Ducatis and Aprilias use them, and we can get them in at the bike shop I work at since we deal Ducatis.

I'd have to have the hubs overbored to accept them, but I think it would be easier than getting custom axles turned.

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 16:19 #97665 by wireman
caffcruiser wrote:

wireman wrote:

Agreed 100%. Especially when they are 40 spoke 17's with a 5.5" rear rim. ;) :cheer:

you read my mind!:evil: :P

More
05 Dec 2006 18:08 #97692 by Sandy
Caff...I've got My feelers out,and I have 2 more places to check tomorrow,Bud...I'll let You know tomorrow(Wednesday)if I can match anything for You,so just hold on...

1977 KZ1000 A-1