Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install

More
25 Nov 2006 00:13 #94739 by inline79
Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install was created by inline79
Hi,

I've been replacing wheel bearings this week and thought I'd tackle the steering head while I had the front wheel off. I paid a bit more than I should have ($60CAD) for the AllBalls Kit, but it didn't come with any installation tips.

I had a heck of a time pounding the old races out. In the photo below I've matched everything up and I'm pretty sure I just have to hammer the new races in carefully and lube up the rollers, right?

The lower race of the lower bearing was really jammed on to the steering stem, does that need to be hammered into the stem or will it press itself onto the stem as that funny nut is hammbered tight? THe PO really wrecked that funny nut as well as breaking off the bolt on the front brake union mount. Gawddamn POs!!!

With the wheel bearings done, it's been a long week of pounding.. ahem, on bearings! :P

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
26 Nov 2006 08:11 #95028 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
Hi Inline,
No the funny nut will not serve to seat the lower cup. I suggest that you look around for a good size match amongst your larger sockets. Find one that'll fit without damaging the actual race way and drive it home. The most important think is to keep it squared up and driving straight. To drive the cone over the steering stem I use a sixteen inch piece of 1 1/4" EMT conduit as the driver.

Good Luck
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2006 09:58 #95052 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
piece of 3/4" allthread a couple 1-1/4 pvc fittings a couple 3/4" nuts and a couple really big fender washers,make yourself a press!;)

More
04 Jan 2007 22:00 #103459 by xstreamcanadian
Replied by xstreamcanadian on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
hey there

did you get your kit installed? I am in chilliwack and have the same kit to chuck in, wondering how yours went.

xc

More
06 Jan 2007 17:58 #103834 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
I am installing an all balls kit on my 76 LTD. Haven't received the kit yet but it should be here soon. I have been wondering if one needs to reinstall the stock bottom steering stem seal and that flat washer below that. I guess the kit comes with a seal for the bottom bearing.

I saw the all-thread trick for installing the steering stem bearing parts in the frame head on American Chopper. It seemed to work great for them.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
06 Jan 2007 18:17 #103838 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
76LTD wrote:

... I have been wondering if one needs to reinstall the stock bottom steering stem seal and that flat washer below that. I guess the kit comes with a seal for the bottom bearing....

I've done this replacement on the 400 and the 750. On the 400, I managed to reuse the washer at the bottom with the rubber seal somehow. On the 750, there was just no way to reinstall the seal. I tried it a couple ways and it just wouldn't work. so, no bottom seal for me. I just made sure the bearing was well-packed (make sure you learn how to properly "pack" a bearing), and I'll just check up on it later...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Jan 2007 17:47 #108391 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
OK, trying to revive this thread, since it is *exactly* what I am up to right now. Got the AllBalls kit today, since I noticed (once I got everything off the trees) it is a bit grindy, and has that "center dimple effect". OK, it came apart easy enough (39 balls hitting the floor - I will *never* find them all!), but now I need to bang out the races inside the stem, top and bottom.

I have beat the crap outta the lower one with a large flat screwdriver and a 1lb hammer (Figured it would be easier than going "up" on the top one) going around trying to keep it going out even. My hands are sore, my arms ache, and that sucker has moved ever so slightly (Think glacial movement).

What's the trick? PLEASE tell me there is a trick! :blush:

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Jan 2007 18:05 #108395 by Biquetoast
EsaPro wrote:

....going around trying to keep it going out even. My hands are sore, my arms ache, and that sucker has moved ever so slightly (Think glacial movement).

What's the trick? PLEASE tell me there is a trick! :blush:

Sorry dude, that *is* the trick.

Watch it though - you think you're even and not be. If you get just a teeeny bit off, you catch the side and start digging in to the metal.

If you absolutely are getting nowhere, as a last resort, you might want to tap it back and check to make sure you're not digging in...

(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Jan 2007 18:09 #108397 by EsaPro
Thanks, BT. I got it out just now. I did dig a bit :( but it does not look too bad. The new race is about 1/2 again thicker than the old one, so hopefully it will be OK.

Now that one is out of the way, I need to find something that can slide up the stem housing to hit the upper one with even force. A big socket comes to mind, and I saw those "axle nut sockets" at the parts store, but I hate to spend $15 on something I may use once in a blue moon. Hmmm, maybe the neighbor kid has one of the appropriate diameter I could borrow? :evil:

I am eying my 15" clamps (for woodworking) as possible presses for the new ones....

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Jan 2007 18:23 #108405 by Biquetoast
EsaPro wrote:

...I need to find something that can slide up the stem housing to hit the upper one with even force....

What I do is go to the local hardware store and buy a section of steel rod or pipe to cut and keep around for just such things.

If I remember, I used about an 18" piece of steel pipe for the races (to go through the headstock), and a rod for the wheel bearings...

(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Jan 2007 18:52 #108418 by fatkow
Replied by fatkow on topic Steering Stem Bearing Kit Install
Must be the day 4 steering stem bearings I just installed mine 2 day on project - 79 - 1000. it was a breez this time but in the past its bin a real pain.

More
26 Jan 2007 18:55 #108419 by EsaPro

it was a breez this time

:Looks down at grease-stained, aching hands - remembering that he has one more race to drive out::

I don't wanna hear how easy it was!!!!!! :angry:

:lol:

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)