Squeaky brakes - what to try next?

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
12 Oct 2006 09:18 #83681 by savedrider
Squeaky brakes - what to try next? was created by savedrider
I've ran out of ideas trying to remedy my front brake squeal. It's only coming from the right set of pads (dual disk).

I've tried sanding the pads, beveling the pads, cutting a vertical line across the pads, and using the orange stop squeak goop on the back of the pads. Still get a harsh screech when braking.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
12 Oct 2006 09:54 #83690 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
clamp a pair of ViceGrips to the brake hose going to the right caliper!:whistle: ;)
Seriously, have you just tried a new set of pads? Tightened the disk retaining bolts? Caliper bolts?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
13 Oct 2006 06:44 #83896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
Howdy -- and first, here's one NOT to try: drill several small holes in each pad and insert soft pencil leads which allows just enough graphite to ease the squeaking. (Really chickened out on this one 'cause screeching brakes are far superior to no brakes).

Concur 100% with the earlier remarks about throughly clean calipers and new pads.

When recently having this same screeching and squealing problem (just plain embassassing) dispite pristine calipers and new pads, the orange colored pad stickum stuff from AutoZone proved useless and seemed like a watery form of silicon that never really dried. After getting all that guk removed, liberally applied some of the high temp copper color Permatex (also from AutoZone) to the backsides of the pads and reinstalled them (please be careful and don't get any of this stuff or anything else on the business side of the pads). Allowed to set up and dry well before operating the bike -- and then -- the moment of truth -- the suspense -- ahhhh -- nothing quite like the serenity of a quiet peaceful Paradise broken only by pleasing exhaust backdown roar while coming to a halt. Worked for me. Sure hope it works for you. Happy trails.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Oct 2006 07:47 #83921 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
Remember a few months ago, we were discussing what brand of brakes to run and I said you'd better buy earplugs if you don't go factory Kaw brakes?
If you went non-kawasaki, the squeeling side is the side that's working normal, better move to the other one and see why it's not working. ;)
Honestly though, in the past when I tried non factory pads, one set may work ok, the next set even though the same brand may squeel to beat Hell, and as far as I'm concerned there is no fix as I've tried them all. Yes all 512 known fixes were tried, 512 failed. Only fix is earplugs.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
13 Oct 2006 08:04 #83926 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?

as far as I'm concerned there is no fix as I've tried them all. Yes all 512 known fixes were tried, 512 failed. Only fix is earplugs

Did you try the ViceGrips on the brake line????:P

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
13 Oct 2006 08:28 #83933 by Patton
Or maybe the old "pencil lead" trick? Used Chapstick once in a moment of insane desperation which worked just long enough to get through a buffalo herd on the road at Yellowstone. Shame being unable to find a softer pad and wouldn't mind replacing them more often. Current availablity seems limited to the various super-duper metal impregnated jobs (which wear harder on the discs) more suited imho for the track hot-shoe guys.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
13 Oct 2006 12:06 #83978 by Patton
Addendum -- the squeeling pads were of the sintered metal variety, top of the line, and still looked plenty thick, so they were just re-used (after a light clean-up sanding on the business sides). The sanding had also been done in the previous effort with the ineffective thin non-drying orange guk. So these were the same pads that screeched like crazy before and then performed eerily quiet after using the different backing adhesive. Same procedure, same parts, same torques, same everything, except for using the high-temp copper color Permatex (comes in a squeeze tube), and been stopping quietly ever since. Never tried replacement with genuine OEM Kaw pads which perhaps wouldn't need any backing adhesive to stay quiet, and don't recall any such backing adhesive being suggested or even mentioned in the factory shop manuals. The single front brake caliper in this case is on a '73 Z1, but believe the same principles should apply. Was mouse quiet until it for some inexplicable reason started horrendously screeching until repaired as above noted. Almost comical, the squeal pitch would change depending on hand lever pressure, and with enough speed and enough road, believe I could have played Dixie. Been mouse quiet again now for many miles of stealth mode stopping. Think it's cured -- can't make it squeal -- but never say never -- fingers crossed -- knock on wood. Here's to Ya, Good Luck and Happy Trails.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
14 Oct 2006 10:21 #84244 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
Patton wrote:

Almost comical, the squeal pitch would change depending on hand lever pressure, and with enough speed and enough road, believe I could have played Dixie.

Haha, that's funny I got a giggle out of that! :laugh:

Anyhow, here's an update...

I pulled them one more time after finding an old post in the archives about using high temp caliper grease on the back of the pads. So I cleaned them up real good. Spread out some 320 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and deglazed the pads slightly in a circular motion. Took some of the red high temp caliper grease and smeared a thin layer all over the backs of both pads. Reinstalled and waiting for the squeal...actually I tried something a little different here too. Instead of using them like normal I very slowly started applying minimal brake pressure. To my surprise, no squeaks. Now before I was getting squeals even when not using the brakes and just rolling slowly. It's not making a peep now. I have about 60 miles on them and I did some hard braking last night. Still quiet. I'm happy! :)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Oct 2006 10:44 #84249 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
Patton wrote:

Addendum -- the squeeling pads were of the sintered metal variety, top of the line, and still looked plenty thick, so they were just re-used (after a light clean-up sanding on the business sides).

The stainless steel rotors on our old KZ's weren't designed to run sintered pads (they weren't even available back in the 70's).
From what I've been told, they greatly accelerate the wear on the rotor(s) = $$$ :pinch:
YMMV.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
14 Oct 2006 10:51 #84254 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
I hope it works for you Roland. I had many a false hope in trying all 512 known fixes, and all of them ended in failure. Sometimes brakes would work for several days, but never for long.:angry:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Oct 2006 22:44 #84392 by Patton
Howdy RRRR -- and thanks for the input that got me thinking more about the different types of pad material and probably being mistaken about the "sintered" description in my post. A little quick research indicates availability of organic (no metal), semi-metal (part metal), sintered (all metal), ceramic, and maybe more exotic others.
On re-examination, mine appear to be semi-metallic (brown color with lighter color imbedded metal bits). The light sanding was mostly for clean-up but easily created brown dust. Seems logical that light sanding of an sintered pad (all metal) would not create much if any dust at all. Don't recall ever knowing the disk was stainless steel and am glad to learn this. My '73 Z1 disk is drilled, so it could be modified OEM or aftermarket by the previous owner. It has never showed any signs of rust, but is magnetic. There's nothing in the official shop manual about the OEM disk being stainless steel. My vague limited understanding about stainless steel recalls a "marine grade" (more refined and non-magnetic) and a lesser refined industrial grade (maybe somewhat magnetic??). Also checked my OEM '76 KZ900 LTD dual front disks which I have owned since new and never showed any signs of rust whatever, but are magnetic. Same for the rear disk on the LTD. (Nothing in the LTD shop manual either about disk being stainless steel). Am still just a little uncertain due to the magnetic aspect. Hope you might be able to elaborate and add further insight on the subject. Incidentally, I agree 100% about accelerated disk wear with sintered pads and am guessing same applies to a lesser extent when using semi-metallic pads. Sorry about the espistle -- but really enjoy learning about this stuff.
Happy Trails.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
24 Oct 2006 18:20 #86991 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Squeaky brakes - what to try next?
Still quiet! :) :) :)