Cleaning my 650 chain

More
10 Oct 2006 17:37 #83311 by kzwolfsr
Cleaning my 650 chain was created by kzwolfsr
My way of cleaning my chain is by using automatic transmission fluid that I flood on the chain then scrub it. I don't worry about cleaning the rollers because as they go through the sprocket it gets cleaned and its a good lubricant and it doesn't pick up dirt like oil, and also a quick clean when dirt does stick to it. Anyone out there have any ideas to share?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2006 17:43 #83313 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
I wipe the chain down with a clean oily rag now and then and relube with the same oil I use in the engine. In the spring the chain comes off and is soaked over night in a tub of clean motor oil. Sloshed around, wiped down and hung up to drain before going back on the bike. I do have chain lube on the shelf and do use it when I think of it.

More
10 Oct 2006 18:03 #83329 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
thats cool
I wish I had time to do that. I am just too lazy now to do that. I rebuilt my engine and did the swingarm bearings and now i still want to regrease my wheel bearings, who knows how they look

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
10 Oct 2006 18:22 #83339 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
I just cleaned mine in the Spring after many years of collecting grime. I took it off and let it soak in Kerosene (sp?). Then scrubbed it with a brush, and let it hang up to dry. I then gave it a good lube with chain lube, using a clean rag to take off the excess.
I give it a spray chain lube every so often throughout the riding season, after a ride when the chain is still warm.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
10 Oct 2006 19:04 #83357 by kzwolfsr
did anyone around here ever use auto tranny fluid?

More
10 Oct 2006 19:07 #83360 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
I clean mine every time I clean the rest of the motorcycle. Wipes right off with a dry rag. Of course I "DONT" use any of those junk lubes that harden (PJ1, Calgard, Chain Wax ect), because I want my chains to last. When rollers start looking dry I spray on lube, which is usually right about where you'd expect at about 200 miles of dry riding. Lube every time right away after riding through rain even if only 5 miles or less. I turned 57,000 on the original chain/sprockets now. Still rolling down the road.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2006 19:09 #83361 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
soak it down with 409 before you take bike to carwash,let it dry out and relube.but im really lazy!:evil: :P

More
10 Oct 2006 20:03 #83369 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cleaning my 650 chain
The 630 O-ring is supposedly internally lubed for life -- probably BS but believe it 'cause I want to, so just spray lube occasionally with WD-40 to prevent rust and it seems to last forever, no problems, no kinks, no rust, no fling off, no undue stretch. Never got along too well with the non-o'ring versions -- could never keep them lubed enough even at 200 mile intervals, regardless of lube brand, always slung off, heated up, kinked, you name it, so I just stick with the 630 o-ring style and easily get over 10,000 miles with minimum hassle. This from many cross-countries on the KZ900 I purchased new in 1976, 1013 kitted, and am still riding and Living The Dream today. Also a long time user of the old N.E.P. nylon rear sprocket which everybody else seems to hate and sneer at, but it has served me well through several chains, quiet and clean with no broken teeth, and yes, despite an occasional burn-out. Probably just super lucky -- but the KZ900ltd has never left me stranded, ever, and looks like it's probably going to outlive me.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
10 Oct 2006 20:15 #83374 by kzwolfsr
dude! 650 as in 650cc on my bike I own a 78 SR650, but thats cool with your point. I didnt no there were numbers on the chain, I mean as in .... you know what i mean

More
10 Oct 2006 20:40 #83379 by Patton
Years ago in the 60's during my 650 BSA years I read somewhere about the supposedly miraculous process of soaking a new chain in boiling hot melted parafin wax with graphite powder mixed in, then letting it cool with the new fresh wax protective coating which would obviously shield it eternally from all the usual hazzards of use on a motorcycle. If you have not yet tried this, please allow me to dissuade you from experiencing a true cluster (you know what I mean). Okay, the wax immediately melts, abandons the chain, and sticks as only melted wax can to the wheels, spokes, and all over the entire rear end (but admittedly this does retard the rust potential). The silver lining from this experience was learning never to try it again and maybe help somebody else avoid making this same dumb mistake. So much for beliving everything you read ('cept for this rant of course).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Oct 2006 20:40 #83380 by Patton
Years ago in the 60's during my 650 BSA years I read somewhere about the supposedly miraculous process of soaking a new chain in boiling hot melted parafin wax with graphite powder mixed in, then letting it cool with the new fresh wax protective coating which would obviously shield it eternally from all the usual hazzards of use on a motorcycle. If you have not yet tried this, please allow me to dissuade you from experiencing a true cluster (you know what I mean). Okay, the wax immediately melts, abandons the chain, and sticks as only melted wax can to the wheels, spokes, and all over the entire rear end (but admittedly this does retard the rust potential). The silver lining from this experience was learning never to try it again and maybe help somebody else avoid making this same dumb mistake. So much for beliving everything you read ('cept for this rant of course).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Oct 2006 08:02 #83444 by Patton
Howdy -- and with appologies for having a senior moment while spinning off into a tunneled visioned tangent regarding #630 KZ900 OEM chain. Realized you were speaking about a KZ650 chain and should have prefaced my remarks with something before just charging ahead with reference to the #630 o-ring chain. Am not that familar with KZ650's but guess it possibly uses a #520 chain or thereabouts, and figured the same upkeep principles would apply. Actually, I would like to try one of the newer x-ring chains (supposedly an improvement over the o-ring style) but have not found it available in the #630 size, and am not yet quite ready to make the downsize mod. Happy trails from an old dog struggling to learn new tricks.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD