Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Went for a test ride... 21 Jul 2022 08:39 #870783

• Ian_B
  • Ian_B's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Been looking for a Z650 for some time now. I saw this one for sale: www.marktplaats.nl/v/motoren/motoren-kaw...057953-kawasaki-z650

Mods were done by a previous owner, this one didn't know what the donor bike(s) were. Not really sure if he even knew what had been modified. Different forks, monoshock rear end, wider rims & tyres, de-airboxed, various other cosmetic mods. Looked intersting from the photos. I took it for a test ride. First thing that caught me out was the lack of steering movement left to right - about half of normal. Highly unpleasant when making low speed turns, almost dropped the damned thing. The motor ran as sick as a dog; wouldn't rev over 6500, felt like the choke was on (it wasn't). Leaks from where the exhaust headers join the cylinder head.

Apart from that, it handled surprisingly well - stable, brakes better than stock (but not stunning). I took it back, wanted to know how the wider rear tyre had been accommodated, chain alignment etc. No signs of an offset engine chain wheel. I looked at how the top end of the monoshock had been mounted. Aaargh - 3 bits of 2" x 1/4" flat bar welded together, the top bit welded crosswise under the frame, 2 more bits pointed straight down. "Interesting" welding. The bars forming the fork for the shock looked like they'd been rounded off with a chainsaw. My thought were, if that's the standard of workmanship, then wheel alignment won't have been a top priority. God knows what other nasties were hiding.

So I left him with the bike. The search continues...

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Went for a test ride... 21 Jul 2022 08:51 #870784

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
There are some on FB KZMarket and other KAW pages. If you'd ;like to join say Hey Steve and I'll know it's you.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: